Tire Insurance? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Tire Insurance?

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this...

Last night I picked up my 2010 FJ, and the only option being pushed by the finance guy that I bought was the $400 tire insurance. I have 30 days for a full refund so I went ahead and added it. According to him, it offers...
  • No pro-rating (bald tires replaced at no cost)
  • No deductible
  • Includes over-sized, MUD, A/T, etc tires
  • Coverage last 5 years
  • Includes road-side assistance

I'm starting to feel like it was a mistake, but before I cancel the coverage and get the refund I wanted to see what people thought.

Also, along those lines, what do you guys think about windshield insurance? Should I have picked that up?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Tire Insurance?

I have never heard of that but I have a question, this insurance covers the tires you have on there now and if you change them it changes over to the new tires? also if you run the hell out of them and wear them out within the five years they will replace them? The windshield insurance sounds like a good idea if not to costly.

RR

ps If the tire insurance does as I asked about I would do it.

07 FJ Sun Fusion,AT 4X4,A-Trac,Rear Locking Diff,17" Steel,BFG AT KO's 285/70/17,
All Pro Sliders,Gobbi Ladder,K&N Filter,ToyTec Diff Drop, ToyTec Sway Bar Relo,TRD exhaust,3" Pro Comp Lift, Ricochet Skids,LED Domes, Blacked Out,Scuba Mod, LR UCA's, Snorkel, Garvin Basket, ToyTec LCA,s
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Read the fine print on the tire warrenty for yourself. I have been told things from the seller of these warrenties only to read the policy and find they gave false info. I will give them the benifit of the doubt here and maybe what they told me was thier misunderstanding of the coverage. Read it and make an educated judgement.
As for the windshield breakage. You should have full coverage insurance on your vehicle thru your Auto Insurance, Check with your agent as to what your deductible is for Comprehesive coverage. This coverage is normally very inexpensive to have a $0 or $50 deductible. Make sure that it covers glass damage.

08 Sun Fusion
All Pro Rock Sliders
Sirius Sat Radio
Backup Camera
Scan Gauge II
Rear Door Box
Left Side Compartment Box
Full set of Ricochet skids
Overhead console
Leather seat covers
ARB front bumper
Engo 10000 winch w/synthetic line
Toytec Boss 3" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)

Tire insurance...sounds like a waste of money to me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Forum Superstar

never heard of it... it's probably no better than the tire manufacturer warranty on defects. I go through a set of tires at least every 2 yrs... I don't get how this would work?

Get liability windshield whatever it is called insurance... that has saved my arse 3 times now... and about half a dozen repareable chips.

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Breeto previously said: View Post
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this...

Last night I picked up my 2010 FJ, and the only option being pushed by the finance guy that I bought was the $400 tire insurance. I have 30 days for a full refund so I went ahead and added it. According to him, it offers...
  • No pro-rating (bald tires replaced at no cost)
  • No deductible
  • Includes over-sized, MUD, A/T, etc tires
  • Coverage last 5 years
  • Includes road-side assistance

I'm starting to feel like it was a mistake, but before I cancel the coverage and get the refund I wanted to see what people thought.

Also, along those lines, what do you guys think about windshield insurance? Should I have picked that up?

Thanks in advance for your input!
I thought I'd never need tire insurance. I've never had a problem in the past other than the occasional flat every 7 years or so. Then this year I've lost 3 tires to strange cirumstances and 2 on my wife's car. The insurance for my tires was only 12 dollars p/tire, adding up to a wopping 48 dollars plus tax. So far this year I've spent over $1500 dollars on tires.( I bought insurance on each tire replaced after that.)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Samdalicious previously said: View Post
I thought I'd never need tire insurance. I've never had a problem in the past other than the occasional flat every 7 years or so. Then this year I've lost 3 tires to strange cirumstances and 2 on my wife's car. The insurance for my tires was only 12 dollars p/tire, adding up to a wopping 48 dollars plus tax. So far this year I've spent over $1500 dollars on tires.( I bought insurance on each tire replaced after that.)
What does it cover? Maybe I gotta look into this.

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Usually the "road hazard" coverage you can get from tire retailers when purchasing new tires runs between $15-$20/tire and has about the same coverage. Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me, and I guarantee it's a profit center for the dealer (or they wouldn't offer it).

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Forum Superstar

i wouldn't get it, $400 is a lot, about half the cost of my Nitto TG 285/75/17's - way more than the road hazard Direct Tire sells

windshield insurance, on this rig... maybe... (sad to say)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Sounds ridiculously expensive at $400. I'd read the fine print and then probably get my money back. I can't imagine them replacing your tires when they are worn out. That does not sound right at all.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in