I think I found my tire - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: I think I found my tire

Quote:
hydro556 previously said: View Post
Mike

I am a bit concerned too. I mean, this time of year, I spend a lot of time off road, in the mud and hills. I will very much enjoy the increased capability, but for 8 months out of the year, 90% of my miles will come on the pavement.
I'm running 285/70-17 KM2's and they are fine around town and also during my 40 mile, expressway driving to work and back. However, I recently took a couple of all day, 500 mile trips on the highway. The hum did get to me after a couple of hours. I put earplugs in.

I will try 40psi next time I have to do an all day run, the higher pressure should help. Off-road, I have the staun tire deflators that bring me down to 18 psi. Very nice grip in the FL sand and mud... I love the tire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Hey hydro in what load range did you get your km2's? I am looking to get the same tire and size as you when I wear out my rugged trails. Online I have only been able to find the km2's in the E load range. Im not really sure what kind of a difference an E load range tire would make compared to a D load range tire? Would they take longer to wear out? Or are they just made for heavier trucks?
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Hydro, you are ahead of me in this process by a few weeks. I am also looking at the 255/85r16 tire size would like to know how they fit without the lift or level.
I have to rule out the bfg km2 due to there poor snow/ice performance but I am stll looking at a few others. The toyo m55, cooper s/t, the multimile and the Wildspirit txrII (made by cooper). Right now I am leaning toward the Multi mile txrII

So,
Please update us when you get a chance Pics would be awesome.
Subscribed

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member

Quote:
keholio previously said: View Post
Hydro, you are ahead of me in this process by a few weeks. I am also looking at the 255/85r16 tire size would like to know how they fit without the lift or level.
I have to rule out the bfg km2 due to there poor snow/ice performance but I am stll looking at a few others. The toyo m55, cooper s/t, the multimile and the Wildspirit txrII (made by cooper). Right now I am leaning toward the Multi mile txrII

So,
Please update us when you get a chance Pics would be awesome.
Subscribed

Chris
Wildspirit and Multimile are new ones for me. Any links where I can see these or read about them? I am also getting on the 255/85 16 bandwagon.

'07 Black Cherry - new for me at 59K miles (with windshield chip already applied) - MT, Rear Locker, A-Trac, no fender bulges, body-color matched grill-surround, mirrors & handles, mystery roof dents, Magnaflow cat-back (rotted off - back to stock), K&N drop in air filter, bluetooth, (all that stuff came with FJ), Husky Liners, Lund vent-shades, second tundra "high pitch" horn, Demello's round-tube sliders, MPAC Siderack, Icon Stage 1, Camburg BJ UCA's, Toytec diff drop
On deck
Expedition One Rear
Swiss fogs
CB stuff
Future
Expedition One Front
Sonoran Steel rear LCA's
Tires - 1800NOCLUE, Mike speaking
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member

Found these:

Tires By Web - American Racing Wheels, Nokian Tires and Other Great Products

And in here:

TTORA Forum - View Single Post - What's everyone running on their DD's?

from this thread:

What's everyone running on their DD's? - Page 2 - TTORA Forum

Further down (post 60) there is mention of a “Sport King” AT as well. This one is made by Cavalier which is, I think, a subsidary of BFG.

'07 Black Cherry - new for me at 59K miles (with windshield chip already applied) - MT, Rear Locker, A-Trac, no fender bulges, body-color matched grill-surround, mirrors & handles, mystery roof dents, Magnaflow cat-back (rotted off - back to stock), K&N drop in air filter, bluetooth, (all that stuff came with FJ), Husky Liners, Lund vent-shades, second tundra "high pitch" horn, Demello's round-tube sliders, MPAC Siderack, Icon Stage 1, Camburg BJ UCA's, Toytec diff drop
On deck
Expedition One Rear
Swiss fogs
CB stuff
Future
Expedition One Front
Sonoran Steel rear LCA's
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 AM

9mmMike, Check out these links of other 255/85r16 tires

Trailcutter R/T trailcutter RT
OPEN COUNTRY M/T | Toyo Tires
M-55 | Toyo Tires
TBC Corporation - Private Brands (Multi-Mile, Cordovan, Sigma, Vanderbilt)
Cooper Tires - Discoverer S/T - On/Off-Road Tires
Dean Tires - Mud Terrain Radial SXT -

Reviews of different tires:
Wild Spirit TXR II Tire Review: Wild Spirit TXR II (285/75/16) - YotaTech Forums
Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics) - Expedition Portal Forum
More tire reviews of this size can be found on the /www.expeditionportal.com/forum
don't forget about the Maxxis bighorn 762 and bravo 761

Chris
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member

Thanks!

On deck
Expedition One Rear
Swiss fogs
CB stuff
Future
Expedition One Front
Sonoran Steel rear LCA's
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Dealer called and said the tires are there, just delivered. When I get off I am picking it up. Will try and get some oics, somehow, in the dark tonight.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Just got home from the dealer. Been an excellent evening thus far.

On my way to the Toyota dealer, I also stopped by by gun dealer and picked up a SWEET Mk12 Mod0 SPR.

Anyway, about the tires. It is too early to draw any conclusion, because I have only driven them 50 miles or so on mostly interstate.

That said, I am VERY excited about them thus far. Firstly, they look incredible. Completely changed the look of my truck. It feels so much more like a real off road rig now. The truck sits up appreciably higher, with NO lift. When sitting in the cab there is no doubt the truck is higher.

The ride on the highway is slightly altered, as you would expect. First, there is a slight hum, but it seems to fade once over about 40 MPH. There is no doubt you are riding on aggressive tires, but I almost wish I could hear them a bit more. They are not loud. At all.

In the steering, the truck still feels very tight and stable, but not quite as much as with the meek factory skins.

Truck doesnt feel unstable or tippy at all, but you can tell the CG is a bit increased. This is why I wanted to avoid lifting at all.

More to come, including pictures. But overall, if these perform as advertised off road, I think I will have accomplished exactly what I set out to. To mount a very capable tire, that is sufficiently tall (IMO) for any 4x4, without having the compromises a lift makes, at least for my intended uses. Super pleased.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

I took a quick picture, but on my cell at the gas station on the way home.

I have no way to upload pictures from my cell, but could text it to someone if they feel like doing it. Thanks.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in