Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my horn today with something more substantial and was surprised with what i found. There is a cover over the end of the stock horn. Remove this baffle and I'm sure you will experience an increase in sound output. should take you all of 10 minutes.

original horn setup:

baffle removed:

what the baffle looks like:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
removing the baffle with void your horn warranty :rofl:
:lol::lol:^^:lol::lol:

Either my horn baffle fell off somewhere over the last year or the 2010's don't have one.

Although, our 2010 prius's horn looks exactly like the above pic w/baffle.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
it it the same part #?
Well thats odd.... I just went out to the garage to check my ever growing collection of oem parts and couldn't locate the horn. I never throw out parts. Even when I should. lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
I noticed that also when I installed my second horn. I wanna say that's it's to direct the sound towards the grill, at least that's my impression.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I noticed that also when I installed my second horn. I wanna say that's it's to direct the sound towards the grill, at least that's my impression.
I read on another forum that it was for keeping out water and bugs, etc. -- but they were just guessing. They had people there that had been running for years without the baffles with no ill side effects. It's an easy mod, just wonder if it really helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have an 07 ..no baffle . My toyota horn got water logged . I then bought a

wolo horn ...that got water logged ....I need a horn maybe i would still have

a horn if it had the baffle cover ...

·
Registered
368 Posts
My '10 has one. Looks more like a splash shield rather than a baffle. It's gone now due to my gorilla fingers trying to see how it was attached. Ooopsie

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
My '10 has one. Looks more like a splash shield rather than a baffle. It's gone now due to my gorilla fingers trying to see how it was attached. Ooopsie
Brings us to beg the question again, is it louder now?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Apparently it's not louder with it removed..........or maybe he's just teasing us all.

Well thats odd.... I just went out to the garage to check my ever growing collection of oem parts and couldn't locate the horn. I never throw out parts. Even when I should. lol
Now I'm more interested the "Case of the Missing Horn"..... is it time to call Perry Mason, or is it the more common affliction of "old timer's" setting in? Stay tuned for further developments :rofl::rofl:

Jerry :cheers:

·
Registered
792 Posts
The 1st mod I did was add a second horn--My 07 TRD didn't have this "deflector/baffle/whatever"--or any sign it was ever there--

·
Registered
627 Posts
OK, I have a "horn baffle" on my 2011. It looks like it almost completely obstructs the opening!

I have an SPL meter and a baffle. I will test with it on, and again with it off, and post the results.

Bets anyone? :popblood:

I'll bet I p!$$ off the neighbors testing the horn. Hmmmm ... this is going to take two people - one to honk and one to measure.

Play the FJC picture challenge: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/off-topic-discussion/123734-fjc-picture-challenge-game-8.html

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think there will be little to no difference, and possibly allow more dirt/water into the horn.

Also, I have noticed if you are in front of your truck the horn doesn't sound quite as bad. I think how we perceive it in the cabin is much worse than it really is.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would guess no more than -2db of attentuation in any given direction--
Hope you guyz waterlogging your horn had the "scuba-mod" done! I've speashed a lot of water under the hood, but haven't killed the OEM or the secondary cheapie---

1 - 20 of 30 Posts