Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,194 Posts
I tend to fantasize on the rare occasion of doing the dishes as well.

Where possible I've outsourced household chores to machines. Dishwasher, vacuum robots...
Then I just have to empty & reload the machines.

·
Desert Moderator
6,194 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update from the trail: Ran the toughest trails in Vermont a few weeks ago and happy to say Raptor provided more control in our deep slimey mud - it was encountered more like dirt, didn’t drag me down as much.

Also on some off-camber super slippery spots where Heeps were rolling (The Crack) I felt completely planted and in control because I was able to maintain a good amount of low end torque without breaking loose and spinning wheels. Pics below.

Speaking of that, I’m still learning the new tune on steep rock climbs, finding my usual amount of pressure on the skinny pedal is too much! So I hit it too hard on one climb and unnecessarily spun the wheels.....but sure sounded sweet - the video gives you a sample of that new growl at the upper end I mentioned at beginning of this thread. The second video is a series of ledges that the well built Heep before me (with front and rear locked!) had really struggled with and slid sideways repeatedly. I walked up :grin

And yes, in case you heard I did break a cv axle but that wasn’t due to Raptor...was just being stooopid descending a steep little rock obstacle (last pic)....happens :rofl:

https://youtu.be/xy8F_KcD-74

https://youtu.be/TdkUjxg9z_E

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
6,582 Posts
I didn't hear the breakage. Sure you broke it on these sections?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I didn't hear the breakage. Sure you broke it on these sections?
Without a doubt. Unmistakeable SNAP sound after getting my front driver wheel wedged in that slot to the right, and tried to reorient but could not turn the wheel. Was at a pretty extreme angle so huge pressure on the axle.

Funny how we all enjoy others’ carnage :rofl:

·
Admin
6,981 Posts
Without a doubt. Unmistakeable SNAP sound after getting my front driver wheel wedged in that slot to the right, and tried to reorient but could not turn the wheel. Was at a pretty extreme angle so huge pressure on the axle.

Misery loves company.....

Or is it that company loves misery?

:worried:

·
トヨタ Master
6,582 Posts

I don't like other people's carnage. I'm usually the guy who gets to fix it with my way too large tool collection. :lol:

·
トヨタ Master
6,582 Posts
I was going to ask before but forgot, did you have the front locker engaged too?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I was going to ask before but forgot, did you have the front locker engaged too?
Nope was going downhill...sliding downhill...lol Happened near the bottom of that crevasse in the last pic. It’s a playground area at the top of the trail. The two videos were from the muddy woods section and yes I was fully locked going up and definitely did not compromise the CVs there.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
G'Day Deb,
great write up...makes it looks ...sooo easy .... hahahha
and the sound of your FJ... BAM !!!! got some growl...
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Thanks! Yes a lot of trails/obstacles (including the ones in the videos and pics) were significantly easier this time compared to last few years. Yup, that sound...especially the new “notes” at the highest RPMs, cannot really describe but almost a snarl....love it!! :x

·
トヨタ Master
6,582 Posts
Nope was going downhill...sliding downhill...lol Happened near the bottom of that crevasse in the last pic. It’s a playground area at the top of the trail. The two videos were from the muddy woods section and yes I was fully locked going up and definitely did not compromise the CVs there.
Gotchya. Just curious. I finally played it back and think I heard it snap. Makes me wonder if I've got one going out now, occasionally I hear a sound just like that in mine that I haven't taken the time to pinpoint. I'm going to have to remedy that as snow wheeling season is upon my doorstep and don't want to be left out in the cold. :grin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is anybody running this with a manual trans? Curious what they think of it. As mine is a manual. Gotta do the exchange into Canadain dollars lol
Just sold my 440 so maybe...:unsure:

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Is anybody running this with a manual trans? Curious what they think of it. As mine is a manual. Gotta do the exchange into Canadain dollars lol
G'Day 4x4,
The only manual tuned that I know of is @amalach but his is 2014 manual.... it would still work tho'
If you are curious email Tim @ Raptor and check
Cheers
Baz

·
Desert Moderator
6,194 Posts
G'Day 4x4,
The only manual tuned that I know of is @amalach but his is 2014 manual.... it would still work tho'
If you are curious email Tim @ Raptor and check
Cheers
Baz
I believe the SVVTI in manual has been done on 70 series and probably Hilux.
I love it on my DVVTI 6MT.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
G'Day,
I asked Raptor and they confirm it will work just fine... with an SVVTI MT6 .... more power on tap ...
cheers
Baz

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
G'Day,
I asked Raptor and they confirm it will work just fine... with an SVVTI MT6 .... more power on tap ...
cheers
Baz
And now I hear the Raptor tune is no longer available in the US - unless you’re willing to send in your ECU?? 😧

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the Raptor tune 3 days ago. The file I received is for mid-grade to premium fuel. I am pleased with results. My 2008 FJC runs so much smoother, The auto transmission shifts are much better. The horrible roar when I romp on the throttle is gone. HP wise I can only say that I feel a press back in the seat now when passing gear kicks in.
The cost is high (780 USD) but the results are noted every time I drive the vehicle. This is what the FJ should have been stock. Tim at Raptor did a good job helping me get my tune up and running. Thanks Deb for the lead and review on this product.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts