Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with my 07 FJ please!
Without going into details, due to some brake caliper issues, I need to fill and bleed my brakes from being empty.
Did some searching while I am waiting for my new calipers to come in and it sounds like some type of "intelligent tester" is needed to bleed the master cylinder solenoid.

This is where my questions begin.
What is this tester and is it specific to Toyota or is this pretty standard for cars with ABS systems?
Basically, I guess I'm asking if I need to take it to a Toyota dealer to have this done or is this tester something most garages would have?
Or is there some work around for this?

Also, if I fill the reservoir and bleed the rest of the brake system, will I have brakes to get this to a proper location to have the master cylinder solenoid bled?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Was your reservoir empty at any time?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need some help with my 07
Was your reservoir empty at any time?

FJ please!
Without going into details, due to some brake caliper issues, I need to fill and bleed my brakes from being empty.
Did some searching while I am waiting for my new calipers to come in and it sounds like some type of "intelligent tester" is needed to bleed the master cylinder solenoid.

This is where my questions begin.
What is this tester and is it specific to Toyota or is this pretty standard for cars with ABS systems?
Basically, I guess I'm asking if I need to take it to a Toyota dealer to have this done or is this tester something most garages would have?
Or is there some work around for this?

Also, if I fill the reservoir and bleed the rest of the brake system, will I have brakes to get this to a proper location to have the master cylinder solenoid bled?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
445 Posts
No brakes at all? There are 2 circuits. Hopefully you have 2 corners. One front and one rear brake to limp to the garage. I don't know the extent of your problem so not sure how to troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
So I'm assuming your 07 is like my 13, in that your rear brakes have the electric boost pump and your front brakes are not boosted?

I would try to bleed your front brakes first. Just by filling up the reservoir and pumping the pedal until you start getting fluid out of the front brakes. Have a loop in your clear brake bleeder hose and have the loop higher than your bleeder Port on your brake. This allows you to see air bubbles that come out. Do that to both sides. I would run a few bottles through the system to try to get rid of most of the air. After that then you can try the rear.

I'm not sure if this will actually work, but I would try it. The main caution is to never let your reservoir go empty during this process.

YouTube self brake bleed bottle and make one yourself or you can go to Amazon and buy a premade brake bleeding bottle with hose cheaply

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No brakes at all? There are 2 circuits. Hopefully you have 2 corners. One front and one rear brake to limp to the garage. I don't know the extent of your problem so not sure how to troubleshoot.
Correct....no brakes at all at the moment.
I am missing a rear caliper and currently have no brake fluid in the system.
Questioning after I replace the caliper and fill the system with brake fluid if I can bleed to get brakes back without the intelligent tool so I can get it somewhere to properly bleed/reset.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info.....definitely going to give it a try to bleed master cylinder and brakes per the Toyota instructions. Unfortunately, my reservoir is already empty.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I imagine without having that special tool, the best way to do it would be with a pressurized container that pushes pressurized fluid directly into your reservoir. Most shops have this. It hooks up to the reservoir with a special cap and hold about 10-15 psi of brake fluid forcing it through the system while you pump the brakes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Correct....no brakes at all at the moment.
I am missing a rear caliper and currently have no brake fluid in the system.
Questioning after I replace the caliper and fill the system with brake fluid if I can bleed to get brakes back without the intelligent tool so I can get it somewhere to properly bleed/reset.
I did full fluid replacement along time ago and didn't use any "intelligent" tool. I'm not aware of any but I'm hardly an expert. I used a mightyvac but I doubt that's the intelligent tool you are referring too. You should just be able to bleed like any other car. Follow Toyota's instructions and other posters here.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
here's a youtube video of how to make your own pressure bleeder:

Cheap garden sprayer, some hose, clamps, a pressure gauge and a spare brake master cylinder cover (or, sacrifice your existing cover for the job and order a new one for when you are finished - save the customized one for if you ever have to do the task again).

Total cost <$25

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I would just bleed the lines like you would regularly do and see if it works before you go buying expencive tools. Maybe you could just get it towed to a shop if they are close. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts