Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. New guy here on the forum. I'm having a crank no start issue with my 2007 FJ. Wondering if anyone can help me. Btw, I WILL post results.

Here's the scenario: Got in it to go to the store one day and noticed a strange whining sound. Kinda like a Ford with low power steering fluid sound...haha

Anyway, got to the store. Went in. Came out. No start, just a click. Got a boost from a friend. Fired up no problem. On the way home it died pulling into the driveway. Had to boost it again just to pull all the way in and parked it.Wile hooked up to another car battery, I started her up again. With hood open, I had determined that the whining sound was indeed coming from the alternator.

Went to the parts store, got a new one, came home and pulled the old and installed the new. Got in to start... Nothing. Not even a click!

Next, I replaced the battery. Still nothing... So... I turned to the Internet and that's how I found this awesome site, which suggested to check all fuses. I'm glad I did. It was the 120 amp alternator fuse. That was blown, but couldn't see it. (Multimeter determined that).

I have since replaced the alternator fuse. Now all power is back, (prior to this I had no wipers no clock no signal lights, dome lights, etc.)

So here's where I'm at now, Battery tests good. Alternator good. Changed Spark plugs, (plugs are good). All electrical functioning, she turns over/cranks like she's gonna go to the moon, but she WILL NOT START!!! I'm grasping at straws here guys. I've seen everything online from problems with keys to the gas cap not being tighten until 1 click!

Any ideas/suggestions? I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you all in advance.
You guys rock!,
Les

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you checked to see if the spark plugs are firing? If not start from their back tracking the ignition system. Could be as simple as a fuse or wire that got unplugged during the alternator swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have spark. I have air. I'm not 100% sure if I have fuel. I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key.
Still cranks, but doesn't start.
Just puzzled as to how a failed alternator leads to a failed alternator fuse which leads to crank no start after the above is replaced and functioning

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
There is a 20A fuse in the big box under the hood. It is for the fuel injection. I pull that prevent the engine from firing when I prime after an oil change. It will definitely crank and not fire.

As above, I'd be looking for something that got disturbed or blown during the alt install.

Good luck,

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
A little off the subject but I hope you saved your alt as a spare (if it was in fact still good) :wink Non OE/Denso alternators tend not to be as reliable. Hope you get the mystery figured out soon, and welcome to the forum! :rocker:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts