Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found out how much it costs to be lazy. I brought my 07 into the Toyota dealership to get all of the fluids changed. I just dont have the time right now to do it all myself ... on my daily driver.

So $756 out the door for ...

• oil $65
  • front diff $103
  • rear diff $114
  • transfer case $102
  • transmission flush $292
  • misc shop supplies $35

Ugh

20210407_173739~2.jpg
20210407_173244~2.jpg
20210407_173254~2.jpg
20210407_173303~2.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Army Green 4x4
83 Posts
Thanks for the post, I have been curious as to how much to expect. I had anticipated around $500. I guess I was off a bit.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Yeah I did all that myself for about $125. Its all very easy to do. Rear diff and transfer case take about 10 minutes each. Front diff takes about 30 minutes because of the skid plate. Transmission fluid change might take an hour with set up and clean up. $756 would keep me from getting that lazy :)

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All this is totally worth DIY to save money, zero doubt. And all fairly easy. Im regretting my decision to have the dealership do it all. Im a bit overwhelmed with work / life right now. But none of the fluid changes were 'urgent' I guess. Dang ... regret!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's all just appreciate that the last two line items on the list (stabilizer bar bushings and end links). $411 for bushing replacement and $585 for end link replacement... Bushings are $17 each from toyota and the end links are $79 from toyota...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah I did all that myself for about $125. Its all very easy to do. Rear diff and transfer case take about 10 minutes each. Front diff takes about 30 minutes because of the skid plate. Transmission fluid change might take an hour with set up and clean up. $756 would keep me from getting that lazy :)
10 minutes to change the rear diff oil? Would love to see a post on how to drain and fill 3+ quarts of gear oil in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't beat yourself over it...life gets in the way sometimes. Part of that $800 would have been supplies you would have had to research and buy anyway...at least now you know and can assess for the future if it's worth having it done or to DIY. Now you also have a list of 16 DIY projects (just eyeballing it looks like $3000 of stuff), knock each of those off and feel good about saving money on doing them.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
10 minutes to change the rear diff oil? Would love to see a post on how to drain and fill 3+ quarts of gear oil in 10 minutes.
Are you trying to argue over how fast I can change the oil in the rear diff? Really?? Have you ever looked at the rear diff? You won`t find a easier faster project ever.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah I knew dealerships always overcharged as well, just didn’t realize by how much. Got a quote from the local dealer to replace both front wheel bearings + hubs + outer steering tie rods. I added it all up and dealer was charging me $2900.

But local indie Toyota mechanics where cheaper but they all insisted on charging the shop time to press new bearings into hubs even though I was supplying my own that where preinstalled. $600 to $700 in labor.

showed the diy and videos to my indie BMW mechanic that works on my M3... and he’s just gonna charge $300.

I decided to go with my BMW mechanic since install is pretty straightforward and I don’t have the time to do myself.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Check to make sure your turn signals work after having a BMW mechanic work on your FJ!

·
Registered
68 Posts
20 minutes. Pan, and funnel with hose. Takes more time to figure out what neighbors yard to dump the old oil in.
Hilarious
Are you trying to argue over how fast I can change the oil in the rear diff? Really?? Have you ever looked at the rear diff? You won`t find a easier faster project ever.
Yes I've "looked" at my rear diff before - I've even changed the oil if you can believe It. Yes it's easy but it takes a lot longer than 10 minutes, I let it drain for longer than that to begin with and then squeezing or pumping in 3 quarts of oil takes some time. But hey man I'm glad you can do it that fast, would love to see how you can get it done in 10 mins.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you’ve got tools, drain pan, oil, gaskets ready and waiting, rear diff can be done in 10 minutes. I usually spend more time than that looking for all the stuff I need to do the job! I just chalk it up to disorganization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts