Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FYI:

For those of you installing lift kits, I recently broke open my Rought Country 6" kit and began tearing apart the front end on my '07 FJ with just over 17K on the odometer and we found a driver's side oil seal completely disintegrated and beginning to show signs of water intrusion and sand/grit. Not a good thing.

Apparently the new (replacement) OEM Toyota seals are a better grade and have noticeable rubber gasket improvements to the outer ring. Guess Toyota didn't want the casual FJ weekender to know about such things but we saw this first hand in our shop in Port Orange, FL and the shoddy workmanship in the original equipment factory seals is apparent. You won't get em' out in one piece and that's probably a good thing.

If you ever have to pull your hubs to check CV's etc, replace these OEM seals. They suck.

You heard it here first.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an added update...those brand-new Toyota OEM replacement oil seals? They made em' bigger and they are a royal pain in the ass to install. Do so very carefully and when you are done, run a bead of silicone gasket sealer around the outside of the ring before installing your hub and you'll be sure and not to have any water intrusion problems. I'm lucky I found the rotted OEM factory seal when I did. I am sure that a lot of others with '07 FJs out there are going to find similar problems.

The new seals are much better regardless of the install headache. They must have a press for this at the factory.

Good luck,

Camerax

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Wouldn't this be a warranty issue? If so, they'd install the newer/better seals for you.

cheers,

dale

1 - 5 of 5 Posts