Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some advice: 2007 FJ MT6 w full-time 4x4 that I want to change to part-time.

Is there a proven easy way? I want to make it part-time and either put a crawl-box behind it or put a lower crawl-gear in the part-time box.

Any thoughts ideas or proven methods will be appreciated! Links are a bonus..

· Registered
510 Posts
This is not easy or cheap. Inchworm and Marlin Crawler both had versions of what was called a "Lefty Transfer case". This could be geared lower than stock and was part time. Additionally Marlin had an adapter that would allow you to place inline a 2-speed crawler box between the trans and transfer case. The setup takes a bit of work and dollars but the real difficulty is adding the crawler box requires you to relocate the cross member and shorten the gas tank by about 6". If you change to the Lefty to get a part time case you will also have to modify the front diff with the automatic's axle disconnect hardware or go to lockable hubs. Demello offroad modified an FJ with dual cases but kept the full time case. They posted in great detail on this site with pictures if it's still available.

· Premium Member
5,096 Posts
"Hopefully there may be some other ideas out there..?"

Yes, there are 2 other ideas, both proven:
Option 1: change the entire front suspension to a solid front axle, with lockable hubs (there is no way to add those kind of hubs to an independent front suspension).
Option 2: sell the MT truck and buy an AT, but then give up having a center differential. :p

· Vendor
08 6MT
143 Posts
Thank you FJ4RWS. That gives me something to search for.

Hopefully there may be some other ideas out there..?
I'm talking with NorthWestFab about their new ECO box - which, if I understand it correctly, re-uses the chain & planetary setup from the factory Toyota Tcases. I like it because it is far shorter than the Marlin or Inchworm solutions (I have both on the bench, including a Lefty) - and it is clockable (I want a totally flat belly, if possible).

I'm doing the same research now for my MT - apparently, you must go to the later Taco 6spd Tcase to make this work (which gives you part-time 4wd, of course)

Definitely give them a shout - I'd love the company as far as figuring this out. :)

· Vendor
08 6MT
143 Posts
I'm talking with NorthWestFab about their new ECO box - which, if I understand it correctly, re-uses the chain & planetary setup from the factory Toyota Tcases. I like it because it is far shorter than the Marlin or Inchworm solutions (I have both on the bench, including a Lefty) - and it is clockable (I want a totally flat belly, if possible).

I'm doing the same research now for my MT - apparently, you must go to the later Taco 6spd Tcase to make this work (which gives you part-time 4wd, of course)

Definitely give them a shout - I'd love the company as far as figuring this out. :)
OK, I misunderstood when I was chatting with Kyle at NWF - the Taco case is only needed for the donor parts (planetary gears/input shaft) for the eco box in the 6MT application - behind that one could still run the AWD/Torsen case (assuming there's room available before everything hits the fuel tank - I'll check on that today), or the AWD case could be switched with a part-time case from an automatic FJ or possibly even a part-time case from an early J-shift 3rd gen T4R/1st gen Taco (which would be less length than the AWD case, so better clearance on the fuel tank)

- or one could go Lefty with the added benefit of having it tucked up even with the frame and even lower gearing.

that's everything I've learned so far; have you decided on one method or another Kmss1?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.