Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
I guess I don't understand the purpose of this when the oil filter is so easy to get to in the first place on an 07"

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
very nice... look forward to your next UOA report.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I guess I don't understand the purpose of this when the oil filter is so easy to get to in the first place on an 07"
You still get to keep your main filter in it's stock location. You are just adding a second (bypass) filter to your oil system. The purpose of having a bypass filter is because the main filter cannot filter out all the particles that damages the engine components. Your main filter only filters out particles down to about 20 microns. This bypass filter will filter particles out of your oil down to about 2 microns. (Just to help you visualize how big a micron is a red blood cell is 8 microns). You can't use a 2 micron filter as your main filter because you would starve the engine of oil due to this filter being so restrictive to the flow of the oil.

I like to use the clearances of the piston rings to the cylinder walls as a visual when dicussing this. The rings to wall clearances are only about 2-3 microns and separated only by a thin film of oil. They aren't actually supposed to touch each other. Now imagine a solid body, such as a metal particle 20 microns in size, getting between the piston ring and cylinder wall. The damage it will cause is called 3 body abrasion. The only way to prevent this 3 body abrasion is to only allow particles SMALLER than your minimum clearances to float around in your oil. IMHO, this is one of the best mods you could ever do to your FJ.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How often do you change the bypass filter? It would seem that if the bypass filter cleans to 2 micron you would have to change it very often...

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
You still get to keep your main filter in it's stock location. You are just adding a second (bypass) filter to your oil system. The purpose of having a bypass filter is because the main filter cannot filter out all the particles that damages the engine components. Your main filter only filters out particles down to about 20 microns. This bypass filter will filter particles out of your oil down to about 2 microns. (Just to help you visualize how big a micron is a red blood cell is 8 microns). You can't use a 2 micron filter as your main filter because you would starve the engine of oil due to this filter being so restrictive to the flow of the oil.

I like to use the clearances of the piston rings to the cylinder walls as a visual when dicussing this. The rings to wall clearances are only about 2-3 microns and separated only by a thin film of oil. They aren't actually supposed to touch each other. Now imagine a solid body, such as a metal particle 20 microns in size, getting between the piston ring and cylinder wall. The damage it will cause is called 3 body abrasion. The only way to prevent this 3 body abrasion is to only allow particles SMALLER than your minimum clearances to float around in your oil. IMHO, this is one of the best mods you could ever do to your FJ.
Conversely, logic would seem to point out that since 90-95% of the engine oil is taking the standard route through the normal filter, there is really no guarantee that your dangerous 2-19 micron metal peices will even ever take the bypass route into the the other filter. Especially since going through the bypass filter is more of a restriction and thus it would seem to be easier for a larger micon piece to follow the path of least resistance and never even make it to the bypass filter.

I'm just sayin' it's important to look at the whole picture... ya know ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts