Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
890 Posts
my take on the blind spot myth - i've hit more things in the girls Heep than in anything I've ever owned. haven't hit a thing in the FJ. manage your weapon and you'll have space/time to look around you with your eyes and mirrors. if she can drive a Heep then she'll have no problem with the FJ.

the only other thing that comes to mind is FJ's are money pits. soooooo many shiny things to add......sooooo many things with buttons!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you guys are on Facebook, be sure to join Colorado FJ Cruisers. I'm one of the original founders of the club, and wrote both the buy/sell guide here and a great CB install thread. If you're planning on modding it, we get discounts with local vendors and can recommend who/what to get. We have our annual Meet&Greet in April at Toytec, and plan offroading runs during the season.

If you're free this weekend and don't mind a drive to Arvada, I'll be helping a buddy with some small cosmetic work on his FJ and would be happy to do a quick inspection on your truck.

This is all awesome information! Thanks for the offer and almost any other weekend I would take you up on it, but my son is a wrestler and Colorado has Regionals today and tommorow, then State is next weekend. If you have any time other than the next 2 weekends I'd be happy to make the drive.

I'm not on Facebook but I'll give you my email if you have a news letter or calendar.

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
If you have any time other than the next 2 weekends I'd be happy to make the drive.

I'm not on Facebook but I'll give you my email if you have a news letter or calendar.
I'm free most weekends this spring, we don't offroad much with the snow. You can private-message me here on FJCruiserForums with a date/time that works for you.

No newsletter or offline calendar, most of what we have is on Facebook. If your kids are on Facebook and would like to be part of the group, it's family-friendly. We're having a COFJ Meet&Greet at Toytec in Denver on April 19th from 11-2.

·
Admin
6,978 Posts
Just make sure it is a 4x4 and has a rear diff locker (for some odd reason they sold 2wd in the USA as well, lol).

Everything else can be added if/when she decides to.

🍻 🍻🍻

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So here are a few observations/ issues I've had so far:
1. The interior dome lights were next to useless. Swapped out for LEDs. BIG difference. I swapped the mirror lights out too. Headlights are on order.

2. The drivers side door doesn't have a "pause" before being wide open. I know there's probably something worn out, I just don't know what it is yet.

3. I have a mystery switch, clearly aftermarket, but for the life of me I can't find what it's controlling. That'll be a fun afternoon in the near future.

That's it for gripes.

Things I really like:
1. It handles better than my Rubicon.
2. I love the openness of the front cabin. It's like driving in my truck.
3. The aftermarket options are awesome!

I've come to think that the reports of horrible blind spots are exaggerated. They're no different from any other car, just slightly different locations.

So far I'm really enjoying the ride I bought for my daughter. She's still got a few months before she gets her license, time will tell whether or not I can give this up.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
So here are a few observations/ issues I've had so far:
1. The interior dome lights were next to useless. Swapped out for LEDs. BIG difference. I swapped the mirror lights out too. Headlights are on order.

2. The drivers side door doesn't have a "pause" before being wide open. I know there's probably something worn out, I just don't know what it is yet.

3. I have a mystery switch, clearly aftermarket, but for the life of me I can't find what it's controlling. That'll be a fun afternoon in the near future.

That's it for gripes.

Things I really like:
1. It handles better than my Rubicon.
2. I love the openness of the front cabin. It's like driving in my truck.
3. The aftermarket options are awesome!

I've come to think that the reports of horrible blind spots are exaggerated. They're no different from any other car, just slightly different locations.

So far I'm really enjoying the ride I bought for my daughter. She's still got a few months before she gets her license, time will tell whether or not I can give this up.
Blindspots are only bad for new teen drivers who dont know any better and people that arent used to the FJ. Anybody who has driven a truck or van with limited visibility will have no problems. But as a dad with a new teen driver I dont think it can be emphasized enough to turn your head and look EVERY TIME.

I can tell you compared to the visibility out my Honda Pilot, my 4Runner, and my sons Jeep Wrangler TJ (with hardtop), the FJ is way worse.

Glad its a short list of gripes that are easy enough to address.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Stop playing with that mystery switch! My living room is like a disco with the lights going off and on!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts