Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got through the whole front wheel bearing fiasco over the weekend. Ugh! The process is well documented here on the forum of course. But a couple of notes on my experience ...

- The local Toyota dealerships (2 of them) didnt have the parts in stock. But both said they could get them next-day. I ordered all of the parts, or so I thought, for $682 and picked them up next day. Turns out they only offer the parts as individual parts, and not as a pressed together bearing / hub assembly. And they didn't include new hubs in my order. First ugh!!! I didnt want to re-use the old hubs and wasnt exactly sure how to press them out of the assembly. I ended up only using the new backing plates that they sold me for $75 each and then returned everything else. But when the girl processed my credit card, instead of applying a credit she charged me another $520. Another ugh!!

- I ended up getting the full assemblies at the local Oreillys store for $136 each ... bearing, hub, bolts, oring, seal, etc. These guys have saved my butt on more than 1 occasion and on numerous vehicles. First call will always be to Oreillys from now on.

- When celebrating a completed installation of a new wheel bearing by taking a picture (see below), be prepared for the sever depression associated with realizing that you forgot to install the new backing plate before installing the bearing. Yet another ugh!!! But I'm now very good at getting bearings in and out, which will come in handy when I do the passenger side this week.

- And when driving off for a test drive, note that you will likely get the classic dashboard christmas tree indicating that your wheel speed sensor was likely destroyed by the bearing. The WSS is $214 each at Oreillys, but I found a pair on Amazon for $21 ... probably too good to be true, but have to try!!

fj_wheel_bearing.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too learned the hard way not to buy the wheel bearing from the Toyota dealership. Crazy expensive & it’s just the bearing! Considerably less expensive to buy the full bearing & hub assembly already pressed together from your local auto parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those chicken [email protected] sheet metal guards haven't been on mine for 12 years now.
Haha, yeah I definitely questioned whether I wanted to sit there on the hot parking lot pavement for another hour while I disassembled and reassembled. But I've never not had them on a car or truck. Seems like they would be good for business!

I too learned the hard way not to buy the wheel bearing from the Toyota dealership. Crazy expensive & it’s just the bearing! Considerably less expensive to buy the full bearing & hub assembly already pressed together from your local auto parts store.
So unbelievably dumb. I have no idea why this should be the case. And when I went to return the partial set of parts the guy gave me grief about no returns on "special orders". Really?? This is a special order to them? Totally nuts. And they still havent processed the now $1,040 refund they freaking owe me. Never again!!

Mid state off road most form members go to grab the complete hub assembly 👍
Oh good grief. NOW you tell me!!!! Nowhere did that come up in any of the threads I read up on when researching wheel bearings. Dang! Well, if the Oreillys fail in a few miles I will definitely look to Mid States Off Road ... only another $54 each, but maybe better quality. Who knows. Ugh!!!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I have Mid State saved to my favorites. Having my FJ for 14 years and offroading all of them I figure I`ll need new bearing soon :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ve got about 2 years on my AutoZone wheel bearing & hub replacement with no issues.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my way home from work today, on the highway, I noticed more bearing noise. But it sounded different. And I could feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel. And I heard more bearing noise as I was on the highway, especially on left hand curves.

I ended up pulling the drivers side wheel bearing out again. I'm really good at it now so why not! I didn't find anything out of whack at all. It's really a simple assembly.

I did take the opportunity to remove the wheel speed sensor though and I'm glad I did. It was stuck in there really bad and ended up breaking off the stem in the spindle port. I had to push it through into the wheel bearing area in order to clear it. Then I used a wire brush to clean the port really well. There is absolutely no chance I could have just replaced the WSS without pulling the bearing. Now when I get the new ones in (ordered cheap ones from Amazon today) I should be able to just pop them in with a little o ring grease. I put the body of the old one back in place just to keep dirt out. Now I have the Christmas tree on the dash AND a big bright red brake light!

I then moved on and did the passenger side bearing. And had the same result with the WSS on that side. So i have zero operating sensors but now 2 new wheel bearings!!

The FJ is so darned quiet now. Amazing!!! I had no idea how much road noise I was living with. Obviously the bearings were due for changeout way before 175K.

I will post here when I get my $22 WSS's installed. Fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I just did both front hub assemblies this weekend as well at 134K. Midstate sent them over with some timken spindle seals which were a real b¡tch to seat, but needed to protect new bearings. Like you I didn't realize how much noise I was living with. Also how loose the steering had become. It is quiet and no wondering whatsoever, on rails. Wish I had done it 40K ago.

Also did both CV axles and front dif seals with the spindle seals and hubs. Speed sensors were fine and no water intrusion either side. After loosing some serpentine bearings to water crossing (thank you very much Afton Canyon) I was expecting a mess, glad to be disappointed.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also did both CV axles and front dif seals with the spindle seals and hubs.
I suppose I could have taken the opportunity, but I do absolutely zero offroading unfortunately, so probably no need. I do need to go through and change out all of the fluids though. Other than the transmission and engine oil, I probably have the original fluids everywhere else.

Definitely looking forward to installing my $22 WSS's and getting all the lights off of the dash!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
B-Man -
That's a lot of grief for what should have been only a moderately complex R&R.

How many miles are on your '07, and what were the symptoms that led you to R&R the front wheel bearings?

Just bearing noise, or detectable movement of the wheel when jacked off the ground, or ??

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
B-Man -
That's a lot of grief for what should have been only a moderately complex R&R.

How many miles are on your '07, and what were the symptoms that led you to R&R the front wheel bearings?
Agreed. Way too much grief for what truly is a fairly simple repair. But last night I had the drivers side bearing out and back in within an hour. And then I did the drivers side, having never touched anything over there, in less than an hour as well - and that was with a very stuck caliper bolt eating up about 15 minutes of my time.

I have about 175,000 miles on my 07 now.

Update on the $1,040 double-charge refund from the stealership ... now they are saying they processed it on their end and good luck. My USAA credit card only sees the original charge and mistake charge ... no credits. The Ughs continue!!!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
What were the symptoms that led you to R&R the front wheel bearings?

Just bearing noise, or detectable movement of the wheel when jacked off the ground, or lost motion in steering, or vibration, or something else??

·
Registered
44 Posts
My indication of bearing wear was only after the tire began contacting the UCA taking right turns.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Both of my wheel bearings sounded like banshees. I was in a pinch and had to have a reputable yota garage press my first bearing while I was at work. Few thousand miles later when the other started going I made time to put in a midstate. In a perfect world I would have had the time and money to do both midstates with the upgraded studs.. life goes on I guess.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What were the symptoms that led you to R&R the front wheel bearings?

Just bearing noise, or detectable movement of the wheel when jacked off the ground, or lost motion in steering, or vibration, or something else??
In my case I had the low frequency moan for a while. It sounded wheel bearing ish but I chose to ignore it to be honest.

Prior to the final failure, a couple of days, I started hearing a squeaking like worn brake pads, some clicking and come clunking. And the brakes would suddenly go soft as I was slowing down for a stop (ABS triggered?). Finally the left wheel cocked sideways on me as i was coming down a hill and put the brakes on. Almost dragged me into oncoming traffic. So unbelievably stupid.

When i jacked the wheel up it was obvious. The wheel could rock back forth up and down quite a bit. Lug nuts were still there and tight.

So I guess that low frequency moan is the real indicator. But I drove on that for probably a couple of years to be honest. It wasn't an immediate failure. I had plenty of warning and chose to ignore it

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I had 3/8" motion in left when grabbed at 12 and 6, wobble on breaking. Right was makings some clicking noises.

While I am sure some humming noises were present, nothing can be heard over the General Grabber tire drone.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting observation over the weekend ... without the wheel speed sensors I can do burnouts in the FJ!! I also noticed it is more susceptible to sliding sideways on a long curvy road just after it rains :). Wow, definitely a different vehicle without those sensors in there, and very reminiscent of a 60's or 70's truck or car before all of the fancy sensors and computers

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So the $21 pair of wheel speed sensors off of Amazon seemed to do the trick!! Way better than the $428 pair from Oreilly anyway. Again... So far. I've only driven a couple of loops around the parking lot outside my shop but it was enough the get all of the dash lights to shut off.

The sensors did need a little persuasion to pop into the spindle. The shank of the sensor measures about 0.385 whereas the old ones are about 0.380inch. Not much of a difference but enough to need a flat head screws driver and light tap of a hammer to pop them in.

Nice to save $400+ dollars here for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts