Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm currently shopping two 07's. They are very similar except that one is an automatic and the other is a manual. The auto has 147k and the manual has around 125k. I'm leaning towards the manual. Is anyone willing to lend me their thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
IMO manual all day long.

If those are the pics of the 6MT - it is clean.

The boo birds will be here shortly singing the woes of a chirping clutch - mine has been doing it for 12+ years and still going strong (180K mi).

AT - sure - set it and forget it. They have their faults which IMO are numerous.

Either way good luck on your search and look forward to your pics and contributions soon!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've own all AT's in the past but just last week finally found a 07 manual here in town. It was a one owner mall crawler when I bought it but when I put that in low 4WD and took off in 1st gear .... I could climb up or over anything in that gear. It was something I had not felt with my ATs. I would choose manual any day of the week even if you never plan to take it off the pavement ... still fun to drive and I think easier to maintain a speed at the speed limit.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There were zero MT's here in the Gulf States when I got my AT in '07. Gulf States Toyota made a mgmt decision NOT to import any manual trannys into their zone. So I got the AT.

331,000 miles and all is well.

However, if you plan on making a rock crawler or spinning a lot of tires or climbing steep terrain, I would opt for the MT every day.

If you do get the AT though, buy yourself a pedal commander - the lag on the AT is nearly 1 entire second while the ECU thinks about it...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
In case you didnt realize it, the MT is full time AWD, with additional transfer case settings of High Locked (HL) and Low Locked (HL) where the center differential is locked.

AT is more old school with rear wheel drive in 2H and locked 4 WD in 4H and 4L complete with drivetrain bind if you drive on high friction surfaces (such as asphalt). MT trans also has EPA mpg rating that is 1 mpg worse that automatic because of the full time AWD.

If you drive on asphalt roads with variable snow conditions and are willing to drive a manual transmission, it is probably the better selection. I personally would have bought a manual trans new if my wife didnt have to occasionally drive the FJ.

Contrary to what someone said above, I think an auto trans is much easier to drive offroad than a stick.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I was in the same position in 2014, trying to decide whether to go with a new AT or MT. Going into it my strong preference was for a MT. However, after many months of research on the ongoing throwout bearing problems with the RA61F transmission, a careful analysis of the how the TO bearing is guided on the aluminum quill that's an integral (non-replaceable) part of the transmission housing, the fact that the MT is a full-time 4WD, and the knowledge that I would intend to keep the vehicle for 300K miles, I (somewhat reluctantly) went with the AT.

Now, 40K miles, 2 FJ Summits, and countless hours off-road in various conditions, I'm glad I went with the AT. If you lived in an area where you were driving on snow-covered roads 9 months out of the year, the full-time 4WD of the MT might be a benefit. IMHO, off-roading where you are picking your way slowly over wet rocks or other uneven, low-traction surfaces, the AT makes it easier to smoothly modulate power and maintain traction (in conjunction with ATRAC).

If the photos you posted are of the MT you are looking at, and it has 125K miles on it with zero history of clutch or TO bearing issues, for whatever reason it may not be one of those subject to these problems. Just be advised that many manual transmission FJ and Tacoma owners have encountered repeated, apparently uncorrectable TO bearing problems. Others have not.

To be well-informed, research the multiple threads on this forum regarding TO bearing problems, then make your choice. The FJ in the photos you provided looks very clean, inside and out. How many previous owners, and is a service history available?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your reply. I'm still trying to figure this forum controls out. I did read on the manual issues, however the missed pleasure of driving a stick and the opportunity to teach my children how to do the same out weighed the negative. I'll have my fingers crossed that she'll be clean of issue. I did see a few solutions in the forum though if I do run into trouble.

·
Desert Moderator
5,670 Posts
Contrary to what someone said above, I think an auto trans is much easier to drive offroad than a stick.
Easier, and probably just as capable, but not as much fun :)

·
Desert Moderator
5,670 Posts
I'm the original poster and as being such, I wanted to thank the folks that have replied w their thoughts. I have put a deposit down on the 07' manual w 125k miles. The pics are above. I'll keep you all apprised of the situation.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
31 Posts
In case you didnt realize it, the MT is full time AWD, with additional transfer case settings of High Locked (HL) and Low Locked (HL) where the center differential is locked.

AT is more old school with rear wheel drive in 2H and locked 4 WD in 4H and 4L complete with drivetrain bind if you drive on high friction surfaces (such as asphalt). MT trans also has EPA mpg rating that is 1 mpg worse that automatic because of the full time AWD.
Thanks for this information. I didn't realize that but I thought I could "feel" the difference driving streets in town and on the highways that cut through town.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a MT, love it. But I must admit, it sucks in bumper to bumper traffic. I don’t usually drive it in traffic, but when I do, it sucks.

At all other times, it’s awesome!

Dan

·
Registered
230 Posts
There were zero MT's here in the Gulf States when I got my AT in '07. Gulf States Toyota made a mgmt decision NOT to import any manual trannys into their zone. So I got the AT.

331,000 miles and all is well.

However, if you plan on making a rock crawler or spinning a lot of tires or climbing steep terrain, I would opt for the MT every day.

If you do get the AT though, buy yourself a pedal commander - the lag on the AT is nearly 1 entire second while the ECU thinks about it...
Almost all serious rock crawlers are autos. About the only exception are old school Toyotas with dual cases. I run a R151F with 2.28's in the front case and 4.71's in the rear. I would trade that setup for an auto in a second.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I have a MT, love it. But I must admit, it sucks in bumper to bumper traffic. I don’t usually drive it in traffic, but when I do, it sucks.

At all other times, it’s awesome!

Dan
Control slow speed with the brake vs clutching. RPM's can dip below 400 before the FJ shows signs of stalling.

It is an unnatural feeling to do this but it works very well.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Manuals are fun plus, children now a days don't have a clue how to drive them. While I'm happy as can be with my slushbox, there are times I do miss running the gears myself.
There's a ton of info here on just about every bolt on the FJ. Search and research!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bow to your experience, but personally I prefer MT for severe offroading. Maybe it's bad experiences overheating ATs in the past? Then again, I have to drive four hours to find a rock big enough to crawl!

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Anyone with a MT care to go on a little trail ride ? i just have my crummy AT so you should be able to keep up no problems .

1 - 20 of 63 Posts