Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oops ... you didn't make it clear in your first posts that you were on Oahu. Given the very limited off-roading opportunities there, then a 2WD FJ makes more sense.
Yes sorry about that so I’m guessing it’s a good deal you would say?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yes sorry about that so I’m guessing it’s a good deal you would say?
I've got no clue as to the current "market" value of used 2WD FJs on Oahu.

But if you intend on using this as a daily transportation vehicle, you should be well aware of negative features: horrendous outward rear visibility, very limited outward visibility from rear seats, near non-existent ventilation for rear seats, quirks of the rear suicide doors, etc,. etc.

However, if your 170K mile candidate was well cared for and not abused, you will probably enjoy legendary Toyota reliability, readily available driveline parts do to commonality with other Toyota trucks, etc.

But make sure you have a thorough pre-sale inspection carried out by an independent 3rd party who is very familiar with Toyota trucks, especially if the vehicle doesn't come with a complete documented service history.

And be especially careful if the vehicle is being offered for what appears to be less than market value ....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've got no clue as to the current "market" value of used 2WD FJs on Oahu.

But if you intend on using this as a daily transportation vehicle, you should be well aware of negative features: horrendous outward rear visibility, very limited outward visibility from rear seats, near non-existent ventilation for rear seats, quirks of the rear suicide doors, etc,. etc.

However, if your 170K mile candidate was well cared for and not abused, you will probably enjoy legendary Toyota reliability, readily available driveline parts do to commonality with other Toyota trucks, etc.

But make sure you have a thorough pre-sale inspection carried out by an independent 3rd party who is very familiar with Toyota trucks, especially if the vehicle doesn't come with a complete documented service history.

And be especially careful if the vehicle is being offered for what appears to be less than market value ....
It’s orobably gonna be a project to work on. I know it’s a gas guzzler lol but the fj”s sold here are still worth a pretty penny so I’m feeling confident. But yes I’ll have a third party look at it before purchasing.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I would get it then if I were you. That's a real low price and even if you aren`t going to off road it ......Its still an awesomely cool vehicle to have and look at :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I love my FJ as a DD( apart from the gas mileage ). I can't stand driving anything else anymore..it's like an extension of my ass.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find a 2wd FJ to be a waste of space and gas. You would be buying a 15mpg brick that has zero purpose other than looking "neat". 5500 bucks should get a decent Subaru outback or forester or why not buy a yj or tj?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I agree on the 2wd vs 4wd FJs( or any utility vehicle or truck for that matter )..I couldn't buy a 2wd and feel right about it. But the OP is happy either way by the sound of things, so this may very well be a good opportunity for him. As mentioned, if they are rare, he may be able to recover most or all of his money when he resells it if he feels the need to get a 4wd version.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I find a 2wd FJ to be a waste of space and gas. You would be buying a 15mpg brick that has zero purpose other than looking "neat". 5500 bucks should get a decent Subaru outback or forester or why not buy a yj or tj?
A Subaru was on my list too but I was looking for the xt version and sadly couldn’t even find one over her for sale so I know when I seen the fj and the value that it still holds I had a gut feeling it would be decent investment and hopefully in time I’ll be able to resell it

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,768 Posts
A 07 Camry with that many miles is roughly that price. So, you get a much more awesome vehicle (2WD considered) for that price. I'd go for it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Keep us informed as you repair the wiper and window switches and other issues that you are bound to discover, and what your impression is after a few weeks of using it as a daily driver.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts