Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

08 FJ Trails Edition

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Green Alien 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here and I do hope my question is acceptable in this section of the forums.

I've been looking to purchase an 07-10 FJ for about 7 months now and one just came up today in the colour that I like and w/a manual gearbox. It's rather far for me to go see physically due to my work schedule and was hoping for some advice before I pull the proverbial trigger from afar.

It's an 08 trails edition w/just over 113k on the odometer, has a full service history and is in nice condition from the pix that were sent to me. Giving the limited info and no pix, what would be considered overpaying and or what would be a good price for said FJ ? I believe the original sticker price was around the $40k mark, which is somewhat irrelevant now.

I am being sent more info and underside pix later this afternoon & I'd like to make a decision asap as I don't want to miss out on something I've not come across during my search over the last x amount of months.

Any and all help would be kindly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help !

See less See more
#2 ·
First: Jimmy Buffetts guide

Second: I'd make spreadsheet of the consumables that will probably be due to be replaced within a year like pads and clutch and tires. Then I'd plan on needing to get them fixed sooner than later.

Then I'd probably buy it. I mean, I'd probably buy it. No, what I mean is that I'd sit down and think about if it's going to be a project or something reliable that I could piddle with. I looked at mine online, saw it at night, drove it and bought it. So don't use me as an example of a "pragmatic decision maker"...

Reactions: Uncharted
#3 ·
First: Jimmy Buffetts guide

Second: I'd make spreadsheet of the consumables that will probably be due to be replaced within a year like pads and clutch and tires. Then I'd plan on needing to get them fixed sooner than later.

Then I'd probably buy it. I mean, I'd probably buy it. No, what I mean is that I'd sit down and think about if it's going to be a project or something reliable that I could piddle with. I looked at mine online, saw it at night, drove it and bought it. So don't use me as an example of a "pragmatic decision maker"...
Axels, clutch and coolant system done at 75k miles.....brakes & tires are good, all service up to recommended schedule, needs nothing until the next service schedule. Only thing I'm waiting for is a report on the frame as she's started life in NH.

Thank you for replying to my post !

#5 ·
FYI...just to make sure you know Trails Edition I think you mean Trail Teams Edition. In 2008, the TT model was white.....just want to make sure you knew this as sometimes people try to pass off fakes. And, aint no way the original sticker price was near $40K....more like $30K. I bought my '10 FJ for $29K....list was like $31K. Trail Teams models were pretty much similar prices.

Site unseen....i would want lots of pictures of the frame and underside. I personally wouldnt pay anymore than $18K for '08 with 113k miles and that assumes very good to excellent condition and it has all the OEM equipment including the black six spoke TRD wheels.

#6 ·
I agree with all of the above, only my max offer would be a bit less. KBB private sale for that vehicle is $10.9k to $12.6k and NADA full dealer retail is $16,650. That’s for a clean manual trail edition with those miles in NH. Options might add a few hundred dollars, and area will sometimes change the value slightly. Personally though, I wouldn’t buy any vehicle site unseen or test driven. I’d also avoid buying an FJ out of the rust belt, just my personal preference. But if you do, I’d follow the above advice from others, and also check KBB & NADA prior to any offer. Beyond that I believe it’s been said on here a few times, the vehicles worth what you’re willing to pay. But educating yourself prior to purchasing is always the best. And the people here are very helpful with that as well. That said, I could be wrong, but I believe with questions like this members are asked to post links to the vehicle in question. From what I understand it helps avoid issues and more importantly allows members to give you a more accurate value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.