Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time it happened. I went to turn it on and nothing. Engine turned over, but it didn't sound like it was getting fuel. Checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it wasn't loose or anything. Tried 2 more times and still nothing. The rig started when I tried 10 minutes later.

The car has less than 1500 miles on it. The first time it happend was the day after I bought it and was at the dealership. But, it turned out on the third try or so I wasn't to worried at that point.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? Any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking either the fuel pump or something with the electrical to the fuel pump.

I'm taking it to the dealership on Tuesday to see if they can find anything.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If your concern is an intermittent nostart condition and she drives fine in between, you can definatly rule out oil level.

I would be looking at something like a fuel pump relay, something that can both work and not work intermittently with normal operating conditions in between. A failed fuel pump would likely cause poor drivability, but it is possibly. Or, it could be an electronic control module issue, such as a pump driver or ECU issue. Dealership should be able to figure it out... Good luck!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I would see the dealership.. If it doesn't do it for them, ask for a number to call when it does.. At 1500 miles; dealership.. Ron

This is the second time it happened. I went to turn it on and nothing. Engine turned over, but it didn't sound like it was getting fuel. Checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it wasn't loose or anything. Tried 2 more times and still nothing. The rig started when I tried 10 minutes later.

The car has less than 1500 miles on it. The first time it happend was the day after I bought it and was at the dealership. But, it turned out on the third try or so I wasn't to worried at that point.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? Any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking either the fuel pump or something with the electrical to the fuel pump.

I'm taking it to the dealership on Tuesday to see if they can find anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oil pressure sending unite that has a bad ground will tell the fuel pump not to work, low pressure or low oil will do the same thing. If it runs some times an some times not it may or may not show a code for the dealer too find. Oil pressure sending unites have failed in the past. Poor engine ground could do the same thing.:wave:

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Less than 1,500 miles? Take it back to the dealer and tell then the situation and you want a full diagnostic run on it. It should be under warranty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sounds like an issue of the exhaust canister back flow the gas to the cylinder. In your case, The cylinder is full of gas and can't crank the engine to start. In the old day while the throttle is drive by cable, you can step on the gas throttle to start the car. But now, I'm not sure is the same case for the drive by wire throttle. You should bring back to Toyota and ask them to check the exhaust canister.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Do you have more than one transponder type key on the ring with the FJ key?

Sometimes a second key will interfere with the correct key's signal, defaulting to a no-start condition.

It's more than likely related to your engine immobilizer, if the vehicle was operating fine otherwise.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought about the immobilizer and tried two different keys. They were both the only one on the key ring. It looked like the immobilizer worked fine, as soon as I put it in the ignition the light stopped flashing.

Do you have more than one transponder type key on the ring with the FJ key?

Sometimes a second key will interfere with the correct key's signal, defaulting to a no-start condition.

It's more than likely related to your engine immobilizer, if the vehicle was operating fine otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts