Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just did my oil change on my 2008 FJ cruiser 1GR-FE. Everything was standard procedure, drain oil, replace filter, refill oil. I did the first 5qt jug all at once since it's supposed to take 5.5qts and then checked the oil level with the dipstick to see if I'm getting close. It was already over the max fill indicator by about a quarter inch as far as I could tell. It's on level ground and I made sure it was just barley dripping out before putting the drain bolt back in. The engine was warm after running some errands so it flowed quickly. Is there something I missed? Do I have to run the engine some before checking the level again? I still have a 1qt bottle left.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You
Do I have to run the engine some before checking the level again? I still have a 1qt bottle left.
You do have to run the engine for a short time before setting the final oil level. This will fill the new oil filter. The filter takes about 0.3 US quarts.

If that isn't enough, then maybe you didn't get the FJ fully drained, or maybe your 5 (US) quart jug was actually 5 liters (5.28 us qt) or 5 imperial quarts (6 us qt).

Reactions: ScottMilk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You

You do have to run the engine for a short time before setting the final oil level. This will fill the new oil filter. The filter takes about 0.3 US quarts.

If that isn't enough, then maybe you didn't get the FJ fully drained, or maybe your 5 (US) quart jug was actually 5 liters (5.28 us qt) or 5 imperial quarts (6 us qt).
I'll try that. Right now I got sucked into some chores around the house because I wasn't doing anything. It did say 5qt/4.73 liters

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
I drain the oil out pour in 5.5 qts and don`t worry about it until the next change. I`ve been doing this 16 years no worries :)
This is all I do as well, got tired of worrying about the dipstick reading since it's hard to tell directly after an oil change.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I had difficulty reading the dipstick, especially immediately after an oil change when the oil was totally clear.

I grit-blasted the end of the dipstick, which gave the highly reflective stainless steel a matte-gray finish that makes the oil line easily visible.

As far as checking oil level, I generally do it at every gas fill-up, along with checking PS fluid level and a quick visual check of coolant level, brake fluid level, a glance at the serp belt for any signs of fraying, and any obvious fluid leakage on the top of the engine. Just force of habit, been doing that drill for 55+ years.

Dipstick immediately after oil change - difficult to see oil line.
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Window

Dipstick after grit-blasting
Rectangle Grey Wood Composite material Tints and shades

Grit-blasted dipstick immediately after oil change - oil line readily visible
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Twig Flowering plant

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so yea I did end up just starting the engine and then the dip stick did read lower than minimum so I put in the rest of the 5.5 qts in and it was right where it needed to be. This is the first time I changed the oil on my (newish to me) FJ

Reactions: Supasta

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I had difficulty reading the dipstick, especially immediately after an oil change when the oil was totally clear.

I grit-blasted the end of the dipstick, which gave the highly reflective stainless steel a matte-gray finish that makes the oil line easily visible.

As far as checking oil level, I generally do it at every gas fill-up, along with checking PS fluid level and a quick visual check of coolant level, brake fluid level, a glance at the serp belt for any signs of fraying, and any obvious fluid leakage on the top of the engine. Just force of habit, been doing that drill for 55+ years.

Dipstick immediately after oil change - difficult to see oil line.
View attachment 1207667

Dipstick after grit-blasting
View attachment 1207673

Grit-blasted dipstick immediately after oil change - oil line readily visible
View attachment 1207664
Your plants have some insect damage but the new growth is coming in nicely. Thought you might want to know that. 🕵️‍♂️

1 - 12 of 12 Posts