Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just left the lot of a Toyota dealer in my "new" FJ. It has just under 70,000 miles, looks mechanically and structurally good. I am more concerned about what maintenance wasn't done to it and what I should do now to catch up what may have been forgotten. This will hopefully be a 10+ year car for me.

It is a 1 owner Arizona only car from what I cam tell. Only problem is the only maintenance records i can find are the first service at the dealer at 5k-ish miles and what the dealer has done now.

What should I get done to make sure this will last?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,901 Posts
Welcome! Have you tried to access records through the Toyota owners website using your VIN? It’s a good idea to do catch up maintenance, even if you do have the records - it’s like a reset :thinkerg: For a really thourough job with an eye to longevity, recommend you swap all the fluids: both diffs, transfer case, transmission (I have the dealship do this and make sure Toyota World Standard is used), coolant, brake fluid flush, and do the engine oil every 3k mi. Swap spark plugs and grease all 6 zerks on the driveshaft. Is it stock or modified? Lucky you, getting an AZ FJ....no rust I’ll bet :rocker: Would love to see pics!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Have you tried to access records through the Toyota owners website using your VIN? It’s a good idea to do catch up maintenance, even if you do have the records - it’s like a reset :thinkerg: For a really thourough job with an eye to longevity, recommend you swap all the fluids: both diffs, transfer case, transmission (I have the dealship do this and make sure Toyota World Standard is used), coolant, brake fluid flush, and do the engine oil every 3k mi. Swap spark plugs and grease all 6 zerks on the driveshaft. Is it stock or modified? Lucky you, getting an AZ FJ....no rust I’ll bet :rocker: Would love to see pics!
Has little to no rust. No fender bulge. No scrapes underneath at all.

The dealer did some maintenance, weather stripping, some fluids, plugs, and some other stuff, forgot the papers there...

Its completely stock. Only problem is clearcoat and paint fading, and some parts have been painted (I think only the hood)

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
awesome find!

Note that if you live where they use any road salt at all, you will want to apply protection to the frame and suspension pieces to protect them before they start to rust.

Key focus areas: all of the welds, and any sharp corners because the black factory coating simply cannot protect welds, or sharp corners well, so they start rusting first. Also, inside of the frame rails.

Ideal treatment: apply to all of the black parts a topcoat paint + undercoating + wax + fluid film/boeshield, in that order.

N

1 - 5 of 5 Posts