Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove a new 08 Trail Teams, and I really dig the all-white with the black trim--especially when I looked at it next to the "stock" FJ.

However, when I took it on the highway to hear what kind of noise the AT tires would make (surprisingly little), I noticed a slight shake in the steering wheel around 65-70 mph. The salesman said "No problem, we'll get the other one that just came in." I couldn't believe they had another, but there it was, in the lot down the street. Since they were closing, I said I'd wait until Monday.

Just a few questions:

1) Any reason why a vehicle with ten miles would need to have its wheels balanced, or is this a more common problem? (Or maybe it was a rough ten miles?)

2) List is about $33,600.00; what's a fair price for Philly?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
887 Posts
mine has the same problem...
not sure if its the tires or they need to be balanced..

its not bothersome to me...

i'll have it checked out when i take it in...

oh..btw...the TT is hawt...
i really love it...

PS..im in the philly burbs

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a TT that has been fine so far, but there have been other posts regarding the tires needing to be re-balanced. Hope you get the price where you want it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do yourself a favor get price quotes from online services. I did and dealer in my area (CHI.) sent me a qoute for a 08 TT that was enroute in late April....29K! I bought a 08 Blk Diamond AT From the yota dealer I have been going to for 20+ yrs. 27k. I wasn't impressed with The TT goodies Mainly the stock frt skid... Alum? are you kidding me! didn't need to spend extra $ for minor crappy upgrades. I took my online line quotes (TT AT)to dealer who gladly matched the price! Get an AT and mod it your sellf.
I bought a full set of budbuilt skids ( budbuilt.com) Great price heavy duty and he has The skid for the ARB bumper to replace ARB tin! The same time I got a set of the budbuilt HD sliders. Xtra cash but he lifetimes them well worth it!
Tell Bud, Gerry says Hi! I did an OldManEmu HD 2" lift, ARB winch bumper, Warn 9k lb. winch, Arb compressor,( for future frt air lockers and for airing up tires aft trail run. 17 oem steelies w/BFG 285 70r 17 KM2's for offroad only.
Good luck...09's due out in late Sept...I think..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Since I don't have the facilities to do the mods (city condo dweller), I'll check out the other TT, and then make a decision. FJ213 ... if I pick her up, I'll need some beginner's tips on 4-wheelin', since my only exposure to the dirt was motocross when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Test drove a new 08 Trail Teams, and I really dig the all-white with the black trim--especially when I looked at it next to the "stock" FJ.

However, when I took it on the highway to hear what kind of noise the AT tires would make (surprisingly little), I noticed a slight shake in the steering wheel around 65-70 mph. The salesman said "No problem, we'll get the other one that just came in." I couldn't believe they had another, but there it was, in the lot down the street. Since they were closing, I said I'd wait until Monday.

Just a few questions:

1) Any reason why a vehicle with ten miles would need to have its wheels balanced, or is this a more common problem? (Or maybe it was a rough ten miles?)
If you're interested in the vehicle let them re-balance the wheels & then drive it. A weight may have simply popped off due in shipment, it's not uncommon.
I know nothing about deals in your area but my TT listed for $34,250 and I got it for $31.5K out the door.

Thanks for any advice.
Good luck with your decision, you'll love the TT.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Since I don't have the facilities to do the mods (city condo dweller), I'll check out the other TT, and then make a decision. FJ213 ... if I pick her up, I'll need some beginner's tips on 4-wheelin', since my only exposure to the dirt was motocross when I was a kid.
great...
oh btw...there is definite room for negotiations

i paid 29,800 for mine and that one came with the c7 package..
roof rack (a must have), spare tire cover and trailer hitch receiver..

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine. I have heard of one case where the rims where out of round. They had to be replaced. He said after they were replaced it drove just fine. I'm taking mine in next week to have it checked out. Other than that it is a sweet ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The tire shake/vibration you noticed has been discussed by many. Do a search. I have it too on my TT, but it is very minor, at approx. 59/60 mph.Not enough to bother me. As for pricing I feel you should be able to get a good deal right now with gas prices the way they are! If you are a costco member go through them, thats what I did and paid set $$$ over invoice. Saved a bunch and didn't have to haggle!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also have the slight vibration in my TT. I think it's just normal... especially coming from smooth street tires on my sports car to knobby aggressive offroad tires on the TT. Actually now that it's broken in, the vibration seems to have gone away.

I also went with Costco... it's priced at $500 over invoice and the dealer also threw in a lifetime drivetrain warranty on the car for free.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Just a few questions:

Thanks for any advice.
I worked for in the tire industry for 6 years. I got all of my product training and installing from Michelin/BFG Its really difficult to balance those BFG KO tires. Its pretty common to get some kind of vibration from those tires no matter how many times you re-balance them. Technically they are made for the dirt only. You're lucky its only a minor vibration, i have balanced KOs that took up 6oz of lead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a TT and notice the noise while driving but i suspect the AT tires are to blame. I really love mine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I worked for in the tire industry for 6 years. I got all of my product training and installing from Michelin/BFG Its really difficult to balance those BFG KO tires. Its pretty common to get some kind of vibration from those tires no matter how many times you re-balance them. Technically they are made for the dirt only. You're lucky its only a minor vibration, i have balanced KOs that took up 6oz of lead.
I have sold tires for about 4 years at my last job. As said above, BFG A/T KOs, M/Ts, and even some Rugged Trail tires are very difficult to perfectly balance due to their size and weight. 2 of mine (that are on my rear) took A LOT of weights to balance good enough and I still get some shakes above 65mph. It never hurts to try rebalancing them and giving it another try. I also agree to try to negotiate the price a little since the FJ isn't the most gas conservative out there and the economy is weak. Good luck with your purchase! :cheers:

·
Registered
87 Posts
there are still tons of TT lay around
especially ON ebay!!!

if $31770 on the truck... low ball them at $25000, tell them ur here to help them outt to lose no more on the truck sitting on the lot... the truck was delivere around feb time... now is june... and they know its going to sit longer if the gas go the way it is. Toyota delaers are making money on small cars, they will take a hit on the trucks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had my FJ TT around 2 months now. Love the little bastard. For some reason I dont have any shake or shimmy at any speed. I definately think its the tires. Id just take it in and have them rebalanced. Should cure it. Also having had a few high performance sports cars (911 and M3) I have found out that there is a range of ballance. Some cars are sensitive to perfect ballance (the M3 sure was). I would always tell them "I want the tires ballanced to dead center ZERO (0). They knew what I meant and it takes a little longer but it makes a difference. Every time I had them ballance to dead center zero, they rolled razor sharp at any speed. Now...being a Newbie with off road stuff...this may not apply, but its worth a try.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my TT had the same vibration. I took it into the dealer one week after I bought it. They reballanced the tires and the vibration decreased dramatically, but did not go away completely. It seems to only happen around 60 MPH. Any faster or slower and it goes away. I'm not that concerned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is actually a fairly common problem with the FJs, especially with the TT SEs. Some people aren't bothered by it, but it annoys the hell out of me. Plus, for over $30K, this machine should be perfect, but thats just my opinion. Im going to be having mine checked out soon. Check out this thread for the details of the balancing. Though be aware, that this may not always be fixable.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/29649-tire-balance-vibration-fix.html

·
Registered
677 Posts
same here at around 58/60mph i too will have it looked at!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts