Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im new here and may be asking the same questions as all other noobs. I am looking at a fj tt and having the dealer add the trd sc. I had a few questions like will the trd cai work with the sc? Is the sc worth it as it only seems to add like 50-60hp? I was hoping for more like 100hp like the tundra gain. I am being told 4700.00 installed on the sc and 31k on a 33,500.00 msrp. I would like to add the 3in lift toytec and would like to know how it stacks up. I will coming from my h2 running 37 bfg muds and a magna blower, so I hope the fj turns out as good if not better. I know it needs new bumpers to help the approach/depart angles but other then that should be as good or better then the hummer. Do you guys add a front locker to the fj's? What bumpers are the best? What headers add the most power and can I expect to get 300whp on the fj from the trd sc and headers? Any help would be great and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
The TRD blower is designed to work with the CAI.

For serious power check out the URD Supercharger. 400+hp. But of course, no warranty.

·
Registered
935 Posts
1st - Welcome.
2nd- please feel free to browse around, as there are plenty of resouces for your questions.

-Yes the TRD CAI will work with the TRD S/c
- The s/c is totally worth it. I love mine.
- 4700 installed is respectable. That's about what I paid.
-2,500 under msrp on the TT edition is a good price. Take it.
-The toytec setup is good, but if you're going to build such an advanced setup, you really should think about a nice adjustable coilover setup. What are your uses for it? Crawling, Desert, Mall?
- Front locker might be unnecessary depending on your uses. Atrac works SO well. Try that first, buy the locker if needed later.
-Doug thorley long tubes, net the biggest change, but it requires you to ditch the first two cats. Do a search on these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, is there a good place to buy all these parts? I want to get the trd for the warranty and maybe they will have a pulley swap to help increase boost. I will use the rig for DD and also for mudding, hunting and just some good off roading. Not really a crawler, more mud, ruts, and snow here in New Mexico. I am also looking at the gobi rack but cant find a price on one. How much are these adjustable suspesion parts for the fj? Is 3 inch what most guys are running? I like the height of all the fj builds on this site and think most are the 3in? I talked to amp research about some power steps like my hummer but they said they made some proto types but didnt get info business to make them. I am going to see if I an get them to make some. They work great on my hummer for keeping the ground clearance high and yet having a nice step to get in and out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What bumpers are the best? .
Front:
ARB may be the strongest but, it's very heavy. All Pro has the best shakle mounting locations. All Pro and Demello have the best clearance and both are half the weight of ARB.

·
Registered
862 Posts
two of my friends have H2's. I have a tt with a 3in lift. The FJ offroad is def better then the H2's i have had to pull one of the H2 out before. And as far a speed the fj is so much quicker then the standard H2.

And as far as 2500 under msrp for a trail team is real good.....when i bought mine(first one down here) they wanted 6000 over msrp

so overall i think the Fj tt is much better then the H2

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thanks for the info, is there a good place to buy all these parts? I want to get the trd for the warranty and maybe they will have a pulley swap to help increase boost. I will use the rig for DD and also for mudding, hunting and just some good off roading. Not really a crawler, more mud, ruts, and snow here in New Mexico. I am also looking at the gobi rack but cant find a price on one. How much are these adjustable suspesion parts for the fj? Is 3 inch what most guys are running? I like the height of all the fj builds on this site and think most are the 3in? I talked to amp research about some power steps like my hummer but they said they made some proto types but didnt get info business to make them. I am going to see if I an get them to make some. They work great on my hummer for keeping the ground clearance high and yet having a nice step to get in and out.
Sounds like you've got a lot of questions. I would really, really recommend spending some time browsing the suspension threads here on the forum before you purchase. There are a lot to chose from and each of them offer different characteristics. I can give you my recommendations on parts, but they might not work for your preferences or budget. You need to do more research before you buy.
You're building a top notch FJ (tt+s/c+suspension+bumpers) I would want the quality and performance to match. Don't spend 4.7k on a supercharger and not install one of the better suspension packages that are available.

Now my recommendations if you'd like my easy answers.

- The s/c should be purchased and INSTALLED at the dealer. You will not keep the warranty if you don't.
- I think the icon suspension kit would complement your setup well. I bought the King suspension kit, which I think is better for me, because I like to play in the rough stuff out in the desert. The King kit and some Fox kits come with external reservoirs that help resist shock fade.
-Bumpers I would buy from Demello. I think they look the best and Jason provides great customer service. He has a section in the supporting vendor area. I also like the way the Expedition one bumpers look.
-As far as where to buy...There are plenty of supporting vendors here that provide great customer service and excellent pricing.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:wave:

First off, the intake should work perfectly fine with the SC, but if you want some serious power you should look at the URD SC, but you won't be able to have the TRD CAI.

The Toytec lifts are bad at all, but I would prefer the Icon CO.

Also I think that the Demello or Expedition 1 bumper are both really good bumpers for the FJ.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
While I suspect you'll miss certain aspects of the H2, performance won't be one of them. On or off road my FJ outperforms my H2 with the exception of towing. I'll be surprised if the stock FJ's performance isn't equal to your S/C'ed H2, with the TRD S/C you should be well satisfied. Before you spend megabucks on bumpers, with a 3" lift and 285/75/16's on the stock TT rims you'll be surprised with the Approach/Departure angles available with the stock bumpers. I also would suggest you take the FJ off road several times to determine if you'll NEED the front locker, my FJ has been through some nasty stuff without problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts