Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 FJ with stock suspension. Today I test drove '08 TT FJ that had a 6" Rough Country lift with 285/75/R16 Micky Thompson Baja MTZ tires.

The ride was way different than with the stock suspension. The '08 has over $5000 of extras on it (ARB bumbers front and back, LightForce driving lights, Cargo barrier, up graded stereo) and it is book price. It has a mean stance and I like how it looks but, is there any way to dial down the suspension for hiway driving, then crank it up when going off road? Is it the shocks or springs that make it ride rough?

I could probably check the air in tires and run a little less air like I did with my '83 Mojave with 3" suspension lift and 33" BFG Mud Terrains. Any suggestions (besides "suck it up princess")?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,853 Posts
Depends. The Rough Country can just be gigantic spacers on OEM crap (probably blown out) struts / shocks. Or you could see nice coilovers, and good springs, ect.

Ride usually comes down to the struts / shocks as long as there are the proper springs for holding the weight of the truck and any heavier bumpers, cargo, ect.

Tires will also make a difference yes. I'd see what dampers are on it though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Depends. The Rough Country can just be gigantic spacers on OEM crap (probably blown out) struts / shocks. Or you could see nice coilovers, and good springs, ect.

Ride usually comes down to the struts / shocks as long as there are the proper springs for holding the weight of the truck and any heavier bumpers, cargo, ect.

Tires will also make a difference yes. I'd see what dampers are on it though.
I am pretty sure it is this kit, as it has the same skidplate and the bump stops are the same, but now that I am thinking about it, it has an after market coilover up front, but not sure of the make.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,853 Posts
I would attribute the ride to those coilovers (and a little to the tires still) depending what they are. Could be ready for a rebuild or maybe they have a stiffer spring on them than may be necessary. LOTs of variables lol.

In general aftermarket suspensions tend to ride stiffer than OEM, unless you are talking about FOX, ICON, or the other big $$$ coilovers that are better tuned. The 6" kit itself just kind of spaces everything down to get the 6" of lift. Sure it changes some geometries, but you could put that kit on with the OE struts / springs and it would ride OEM-ish...except for running out of shock travel in a hurry.

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,558 Posts
The ride was way different than with the stock suspension.
Not a lot to go by there. Could be any number of issues as stated. Sounds like its set up for wheeling so maybe they have the sway bars removed too?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a lot to go by there. Could be any number of issues as stated. Sounds like its set up for wheeling so maybe they have the sway bars removed too?
I think it was meant to wheel ... but that is what I am looking for.

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,558 Posts
Looks cool! Still not sure about the actual cause of the problem. My 6" lift road rough with the Icon remote resis and rear piggy backs. But as stated earlier the ones on this truck may be worn out.

If you end up with this sweet rig, I've got a set of RC 2.0 rear shocks that have about 500 miles on them. I only used them when the Icons were being rebuilt. Not sure what shipping to Canada is though.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,853 Posts
Could be a whole lot of things lol. That rig looks pretty beat, but I guess a good detail can go a long way. With dirt and mud all up in what looks like EVERY interior crevasse / door jambs / ect. it was definitely USED. Maybe they just snapped all the pics the minute it came in as they sometimes do....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Could be a whole lot of things lol. That rig looks pretty beat, but I guess a good detail can go a long way. With dirt and mud all up in what looks like EVERY interior crevasse / door jambs / ect. it was definitely USED. Maybe they just snapped all the pics the minute it came in as they sometimes do....
I think it has been on a lot of gravel roads as up here there is lot of roads that are gravel. I sort of want it because I like the look of it and it is a TT but then I also think the guy was a pig and never cleaned it or really appreciated it. It is one year newer than my current one but feels 5 years older when I drive it ...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks cool! Still not sure about the actual cause of the problem. My 6" lift road rough with the Icon remote resis and rear piggy backs. But as stated earlier the ones on this truck may be worn out.

If you end up with this sweet rig, I've got a set of RC 2.0 rear shocks that have about 500 miles on them. I only used them when the Icons were being rebuilt. Not sure what shipping to Canada is though.
PM Sent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts