Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the "You get what you pay for" saying always holds true but,... I have 3 amps in the FJ, 1- 1000w for the sub & 2- 300w 2 channel amps for the door 6X9's & rear seat 6 1/2". There are 2 lights on each, a green & a red, the red is labeled "protect". Something caused one of the 300w'ers to go red & after screwing around with the spk wires it went back to green. I have no idea what the problem was/is, don't know all that much about this stuff. Anyway, that was like 2 weeks ago & everything has been fine at least I thought so... I noticed the drive side 6X9 was not on & the first thing was to check the light's on that amp (same amp that had the "red"), but that was green. I swapped the spk wires around & came to the conclusion the channel is dead/blown on that amp. Question is: What now? Junk it & buy a new one? Is there anything that can be done to "quick fix" it? Or is it just a paper weight now? It cost $80 new. Again, I know "You get what you pay for". Advice?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yup, paper weight usually. Play around with the RCA inputs though as I've found these can get a little corrosion over time and not make such good contact. Adjust the head unit all to the front left so that you can actually hear it while playing with the input. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
what brand amp? Yeah the amps are the backbone of your system its always a good idea to buy quality amps. that's why I try to push JL Audio ,Alpine, Arc amps etc. there are several good brands out there but when you see an amp that says it has high watts and a inexpensive price that should be a red flag

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, no, it's not corrosion, it's less than a month old. It's just me being cheap. I kind of knew when buying these amps what to expect, I was just hoping for enough time out of them to replace with name brand equipment. I've never had a real kick a$$ sound before & I want it like "right now!" I think I'll be sucked into another $80 for a new crappy 300w for now. I know I should just bite the bullet & deal with the dead channel for now, but just knowing there's a problem drives me nutzo. Thanks for confirming I'm just another cheap-o.:lol: I'll be asking advice on "real" equipment as soon as I get the $$$ up. Thanks again, MAXX:cheers:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I'm dying to know the brand of amps that you bought and specifically the brand of the one that apparently blew. Will the retailer honor a return?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm dying to know the brand of amps that you bought and specifically the brand of the one that apparently blew. Will the retailer honor a return?
The brand of the amp is "Dual Audio" XPA Series, I bought it at PEP Boys, Like I said before, I only had so much $$$ & buying 2-2 channel amps, 1- 1000w amp & 2 10" sub box kit, & a set of Kenwood 6 1/2" round spk at 1 time was a bit heavy for me, along with buying the Kenwood head unit a week before. So please don't flame me for buying the "junk" that I did, it was what I could do at the time, & I'm kind of a "think it now- want it now type of person. The Sub kit, 2-10" sub's in a box with the 1000w amp is SDX brand, also purchased from the "PEP BOYS" sounds great, It's perfect for my music & the other 300w amp seems to be fine so far...Crossing my fingers.... I'll be saving up now to replace all my equipment with JBL like was recommended by "ZoSo" I just wish I could do it now because I'm sure the sound in my FJ will be much better than what I'm happy with now. ZoSo, I'll be in touch via "PM" when I have $$$, You seem to know your chit.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Some amps are good, some not so much. MTX hasn't been a huge name in amps, but I ran the same ones for a full 15 years with no issues and they were even submerged at some point (don't ask). Hopefully you can return the original amp and get a free replacement to hold you off. That'll at least be $80 more towards a quality JL setup.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did find the box it came in, now if I can find the receipt. I do go to this PEP Boys alot & they do know my face, so maybe I'll give the return/swap a shot. I guess my new plan will be to replace each piece of the system one at a time with better equipment as it can be afforded. I guess the speakers should be first, (they are all aftermarket speakers now), because I'd rather have the better sounding speakers powered by the cheap amps instead of really good amps powering cheap speakers. If that makes any sense at all, ???

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I did find the box it came in, now if I can find the receipt. I do go to this PEP Boys alot & they do know my face, so maybe I'll give the return/swap a shot. I guess my new plan will be to replace each piece of the system one at a time with better equipment as it can be afforded. I guess the speakers should be first, (they are all aftermarket speakers now), because I'd rather have the better sounding speakers powered by the cheap amps instead of really good amps powering cheap speakers. If that makes any sense at all, ???
Be careful of going that route. Cheaper amps are more likely to clip the signal which will damage your speakers. I think the safer alternative would be to have a good amp with cheaper speakers initially. You'd be amazed what stock speakers sound like with a good amp powering them. Of course, you're then at risk of cranking it up too much and cooking the cheap speakers...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should be in there system if you only bought it a month ago.. Yeah hit me up when you ready .. Sound deading is a good place to start first

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sound deading is a must for sure, but with the cold weather starting to set in I sure don't want to start tearing the interior apart right now. Wish I had a garage to work in. I think I'll deal with you for the better equipment when I'm in a better $$$ situation, you seem to know what your talking about & God knows I'll need all the help I can get.:bigthumb: I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
cool man you don't have to break the bank to get a decent system, just making the right choices/matching up gear helps. I been into car audio for 40 plus years so I have a pretty good grip on things at this point

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,... As it turns out, I feel like a dip**** for sure, the real problem was a pinched/cut (+) RCA cable :flame: After going & shelling out another $80 for a new amp, driving home, going through the uninstall-reinstall, it still had a dead channel. Then I though, Oh $hit! The HU has a bad channel! So I decided to follow the suspect amp RCA's back through the FJ to the HU hoping to find one of them unplugged or something, I ended up finding the pinch/cut. It was under the plastic sill cover on the passenger side. I guess I missed one of the wire looms under there & it got pinched off. So all is well that ends well atleast. Returned the new amp, got my $80 back & picked up a new set of RCA's. The funny thing was when I had everything hooked back up & turned the key to power it up...No sound out of that speaker...STILL! Dumb A$$ strikes again, I had the fader set all to the rear to check something & forgot about rolling it back to even.:flame: Almost blew a gasket there for a second.:rofl: I know the RCA's should have been checked from the start, but just didn't think of it. I feel as though I've learned quite a bit about the entire audio thing after this experience.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
Well,... As it turns out, I feel like a dip**** for sure, the real problem was a pinched/cut (+) RCA cable :flame: After going & shelling out another $80 for a new amp, driving home, going through the uninstall-reinstall, it still had a dead channel. Then I though, Oh $hit! The HU has a bad channel! So I decided to follow the suspect amp RCA's back through the FJ to the HU hoping to find one of them unplugged or something, I ended up finding the pinch/cut. It was under the plastic sill cover on the passenger side. I guess I missed one of the wire looms under there & it got pinched off. So all is well that ends well atleast. Returned the new amp, got my $80 back & picked up a new set of RCA's. The funny thing was when I had everything hooked back up & turned the key to power it up...No sound out of that speaker...STILL! Dumb A$$ strikes again, I had the fader set all to the rear to check something & forgot about rolling it back to even.:flame: Almost blew a gasket there for a second.:rofl: I know the RCA's should have been checked from the start, but just didn't think of it. I feel as though I've learned quite a bit about the entire audio thing after this experience.
good bc we are gonna test you on it later... stay sharp! :lol::lol::lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts