Iron Heart 634S 21oz jeans
Darn Tough merino wool socks
Carhartt shirts
M-422 repop jacket.
Bison work gloves
Repop soviet Ushanka

Zombie apocalypse approved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You got a little Red Dawn action goin on there. Me, a little of Book of Eli. The iPad holds the good books. :rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some great finds showing up in this thread, very cool. Great to see these sturdy, well-built items that are designed to function and to last.

It used to be you would purchase a good, well made item, and you would use it / wear it for years, and eventually it would have this worn in look and fit, and you knew it was high quality because it has obviously been in use for a long time.

Now they're trying to make everything look like it's high quality by aging and distressing it, so it looks like it's been in use for years and therefore must be good. The reality of it is they'll look like that for 20 minutes and then fall apart.

I'm tired of that cycle, and I'm happy to get all this great input from people who know.

gb

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am not going to get into a debate on what is the proper mentality (layering, knives, socks, other gear etc) I am going to answer the original question:

After thinking of the stuff I own, here is what I picked from the closet:

Boots: Merrell Mattertal's. Sooooooo comfortable and rugged. Goretex, deep lugs, and good cushioning for long trekks. The comfort for prolonged hauling is why I chose these over my Merrell MOABs/Chameleons, Danners and 5.11 boots.

Shirt: Arc'teryx with goretex/ripstop OR one of my full motorcycle leathers with kevlar.

Pants: 5.11 Taclite pro or Traverese pants.

I would rather have quality gear which is waterproof/weather resistant than anything else. Full coverage for protection, and in the winter I can stuff it for more warmth. I can always take it off if it is too hot. Staying wet can be a big problem.

Of course, this depends on the climate.

If it were a zombie apoc... full leathers 100% ;) (I still don't understand why I have yet to see a movie where someone does this... a human mouth is not going to bite through the leather)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Boots - Gronnell Klondikes or selvios.
Pants - filson double tin.
Shirt - Wool Jack (pendleton) or one of my many surplus wool sweaters.
Sock- Thorlo all the way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Boots: Keen Wenatchee steel toe
Pants: Arborwear Arbenter or Vertx phantom pant
Shirt: UnderArmour (short sleeve)
Hanes Beefy T (long sleeve)

Keen has always been my go-to for boots or any footwear that needs to be ready to go out of the box. Arborwear makes some of the best pants I have ever worn. The Arbenter is a little heavy, but durable. Enough pockets for tools and stuff. Vertx has been awesome. I have used them all over the world and never been disappointed. Hard to pick just one.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Boots - 12" or 16" leather logger boot
Pants - Carhart o Deluth fire hose pants
Shirt - 17oz wool lumberjack shirt
Coat - Oilskin outrider coat

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Wow some really great info in here. I love me some Danner boots, mainly for quality and craftsmanship and the ability to be rebuilt. 5.11 taclite pants and shorts are great. Quality product, super light and not ridiculously overpriced like some. Carhartt makes a good shirt and Filson makes a ridiculously warm and rugged jacket. Pricey yes, but worth it for a jacket that will last 50 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Boots: Russell Moccasin 8" Imperials :bigthumb:
Shirt: Either a Carhartt canvas shirt, or anything Filson (love that wool)
Pants: Filson (wool field pants or twill)

·
Registered
54 Posts
You guys won't believe this, but I have a pair of hiking style boots that are suede and steel toed that I have had for 12 years. I wear them often.
When they start getting filthy, I wear them to the car wash and blast them, they look brand new again.
I've replaced the laces a couple of times cuz my cat will chew thru them once in a while and I had to put screws in the bottom soles when one started to come off.
They are solid boots and someday I might have to buy another pair.

Here's the believe it or not....
Sketchers.
No lie.
I bought them at Grapevine Mills mall in Dallas at a Journey's shoe store 12 years ago right after 9-11, just before Christmas.
At the time I paid $100 for them and thought I was throwing money away.
Little did I know how wrong I was going to be.
I have worked flight decks in the Navy, had all kinds of Hi-Tech and Wolverines when I was a deputy and hands down, these sketchers are the best I've ever had.

I never thought I would ever say that about a Sketchers shoe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Boots: I have a pair of leather lined Lowa boots that I LOVE! They've taken the place of ALL of my Danner's for hiking, backpacking, etc. They're fairly low maintenance, I oil the exterior every so often and use a little hand creme on the liner. I pair 'em with smartwool, darn tough, and Injinji toe socks , all of which are wool and don't require a liner sock. DON'T KNOCK THE TOE SOCKS!!! ha ha

Pants: If you guys haven't tried soft shell pants then do yourself a favor and take the plunge! They're soft, SURPRISINGLY tough, VERY flexible with stretch built into the fabric, are pretty water repellent, very breathable, and with the right shirt you can wear them to dinner. You can ice climb in them or hike in the desert. These things are my new favorite! They don't stay wet like cotton (death cloth) and are as comfy as sweat pants. The ones I have are Marmot Scree softshell pants...awesome!

Top: one of my Ice Breaker merino wool tops...it would make me sad to choose ONLY one, but probably a full zip long sleeve. I don't generally trust zippers to go the distance, but dammit, I love the shirts!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts