Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing my stock UCA's with alignment correcting UCA's that will also add some performance improvements to my 3" coil lifted IFS. I've been looking at getting a uniball UCA over a ball joint. There seems to be a few good uniball UCA's out there with 1" or 1.25" uniball being the big difference along with some being adjustable and others having no adjustability.

Having adjustable UCA's doesn't seem to be a big issue as long as the company has done a good job at setting their product up to accommodate for caster and camber issues with a 3" lift. I'm wondering what's the pros and cons of 1" vs 1.25" uniballs?

Looking for any feedback along with any recommendations for which company to go with as far as over quality and design. So far my top choice is All-Pro with Camburg being a very close second. The Icon's are very nice but cost double of all the other companies out there. Total Chaos' are very popular but use a 1" uniball vs All-Pro and Camburg which use the 1.25". Desert Products Uniball UCA seems to be a nice product while being reasonable price, but they don't state the size of the Uniball nor have I heard of anyone using them on their rig to get any feedback.

Any and all comments and feedback appreciated :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run All Pro UCA's with 3" FoxRacing Shox. And they are a thing a beauty! I wheel frequently, and I am 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
That's a good question. My gut tells me that 1.25" would be the best choice, but to be honest, I have no idea why. Trying to put felling into words would be, more area to spread the stress over would be better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good question. My gut tells me that 1.25" would be the best choice, but to be honest, I have no idea why. Trying to put felling into words would be, more area to spread the stress over would be better.
That's what I'm thinking, longer life of the uniball with 1.25". Plus the companies using the 1.25 are say you get a little more articulation with 1.25 over 1"

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
bigger = stronger, not that 99.9% of FJ owners will ever need it. Just go with Camburg UCA's best bang for the buck all around. and the ball joint isn't bad either, you have the option for bal or uniball with camburg. the ball joint will outlive the uniball but the uni will give more flex, just have to replace em about once a year, unless ya like clunking n squeaking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I glad to hear some one like the Camburg. I plan to go with OEM Ball joint type upper by Camburg. Not only for the price but no maint.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Running TC uniballs - very satisfied - coming up for the second year.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Uni-balls don't fail by braking, they fail due to ware. Ware is mostly due to the quality of bearing used to start with, next of course is the environment used in. Uni-balls are bearings. Like bearings they are available in several grades and each grade jumps up in price. The cost to make an upper control arm is about the same (over all, yes some just farm them out to the lowest bidder to weld them up, others make them in house for higher quality but also higher cost), its the bearing being used that makes the biggest price modifier. This in most cases is why some brands are much less than others but look the same. The cheaper arm now may not be so cheep if the bearings have to be replaced sooner. (cost of the bearings + labor to replace them)

Also consider the replacement cost and availability for the bearing you chose to go with. 1" is the race industry standard and widely available (not just through the manufacture) Even with quality uni-balls it is a ware point and will need to be replaced at some point.

FLEX:
You are limited to what coil over or strut you are running, a UCA may have more flex than another but it does not matter as it will only move as far as the coil over will allow thus in the end all after market UCA's are the same for flex. The available extended travel coil overs (only a few mfgrs out of the box, others have to be modified) are still limited to keep your CV's alive. Bottom line its the CV's that control just how far we can push a 3" lift on the FJC.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Uni-balls don't fail by braking, they fail due to ware. Ware is mostly due to the quality of bearing used to start with, next of course is the environment used in. Uni-balls are bearings. Like bearings they are available in several grades and each grade jumps up in price. The cost to make an upper control arm is about the same (over all, yes some just farm them out to the lowest bidder to weld them up, others make them in house for higher quality but also higher cost), its the bearing being used that makes the biggest price modifier. This in most cases is why some brands are much less than others but look the same. The cheaper arm now may not be so cheep if the bearings have to be replaced sooner. (cost of the bearings + labor to replace them)

Also consider the replacement cost and availability for the bearing you chose to go with. 1" is the race industry standard and widely available (not just through the manufacture) Even with quality uni-balls it is a ware point and will need to be replaced at some point.

FLEX:
You are limited to what coil over or strut you are running, a UCA may have more flex than another but it does not matter as it will only move as far as the coil over will allow thus in the end all after market UCA's are the same for flex. The available extended travel coil overs (only a few mfgrs out of the box, others have to be modified) are still limited to keep your CV's alive. Bottom line its the CV's that control just how far we can push a 3" lift on the FJC.
Great info and very helpful with making a final decision. Thanks Helocat :bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts