Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2011 FJ in to the dealer for the 5,000 mile service and they wouldn't do an oil change (I have the free service for 2 years thing). They said that the engine is "designed for synthetic oil and to go 10,000 miles between oil changes". This sounds crazy long to me - especially for the first oil change!

Should I go get it done myself, or is this just normal with new FJs?

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
Same here. I paid them to do the 1st at 5,000 miles. They gave me a deal and it was only $30 or so for full synthetic. I'm sure 10,000 is fine and Toyota probably did a ton of research. They are not going to risk their autos reliability to save a few oil changes and it would benefit them more to do oil changes at a lower mileage interval anyway because after the free ones are done you would be in there changing it more often. But for piece of mind I did it at 5,000.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would follow what the "Manufacturer Required Service" manual states vs. what the dealer states.

Also, changing your oil more frequently is not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got mine last week (10k miles) as my first oil change and it was all good, dont worry and enjoy your free service,

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! If I can't find a deal on a synthetic oil change, I guess I'll just wait.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
My maintenance light, for the oil change, is starting to blink on my 2011 with 4650 miles on it. My '08 would do this as well until at 5000 miles it would stay on. Did anyone else have this happen with it being rated for a 10000 mile change?

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
My maintenance light, for the oil change, is starting to blink on my 2011 with 4650 miles on it. My '08 would do this as well until at 5000 miles it would stay on. Did anyone else have this happen with it being rated for a 10000 mile change?
For 2011-11
That light is a maintenance reminder set to go off for every 5,000 miles. At 5,0000 miles it suggests you rotate your tires, inspect fluids, clean cabin air filter, and inspect brakes.

10,000 it is the same with the addition of a oil change.

15,000 is the same as the 5,000 with addition of lubricate and re torque propeller shaft.

20,000 is the same as 10,000.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had the light start blinking on mine before the 5,000 miles rollover (when it came on solid) too.

15,000 is the same as the 5,000 with addition of lubricate and re torque propeller shaft.
Our FJs have propellers? :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I do my own oil changes using synthetic and I go 10k between changes. I also bought a Mobil1 filter as they have an oversized in our size which gives me a warm and fuzzy versus using the standard sized filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its hard for us Americans to get used to precision Japanese engineering and their oil change intervals. If it were an old small block Chevy the oil would be toxic sludge at 10000 initial miles...this aint your dads truck motor...it is state of the art. Trust your engineers, drive it like you stole it, and make em fix it if it breaks!!!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts