Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Where are you finding synth rope for 180? The only $180.00 synth line I've seen is 80ft and 5/16". You really should go with 3/8" as a minimum. That is what comes on the EPi and makes it an even better deal. If you do go with Steel, always make sure to have heavy duty gloves in your FJ as well as a heavy blanket or a damper so the wire rope doesn't take out a windshield.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. IMHO synth is far safer to use on the trail.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Where are you finding synth rope for 180? The only $180.00 synth line I've seen is 80ft and 5/16". You really should go with 3/8" as a minimum. That is what comes on the EPi and makes it an even better deal. If you do go with Steel, always make sure to have heavy duty gloves in your FJ as well as a heavy blanket or a damper so the wire rope doesn't take out a windshield.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. IMHO synth is far safer to use on the trail.
Truck Accessories and Jeep Accessories By Central 4 Wheel Drive - Smittybilt Synthetic Winch Rope - 10,000lbs

You do have a good valid point about safty. Above is the synth rope I found for 189.00 but if you call they will give it to you for 180.00. It does not say on the site what the dia is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
FJinCO did you guys ever use a snatch block with Synthetic line? Any particular block work better for it? I have only used steel.

---

ProMark Offroad 92' Recovery Winch Blue Synthetic Rope has some on sale for almost half off on amazon. 5/16th. Tiny bit smaller than the 3/8ths. $105 This might make a good extension rope.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I snatch block all the time. You don't have to worry about diameter like you do with steel. I have an ARB snatch block. It is a good idea to inspect the snatch you are using for any abrasive marks that a previous steel rope could have made.

As for that smittybilt winch line. I would stay away, it's most likely 5/16th" and thus right on the money for synth pricing. Only 10k lbs limit too, 3/8" will get you up around the 17k range.

Funny, in all the overhead rigging I do for work there are a lot of rules and standards that we must follow and different specs that rigging supplies have to meet. Vehicle recovery does not have any specs, only guidelines.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I snatch block all the time. You don't have to worry about diameter like you do with steel. I have an ARB snatch block. It is a good idea to inspect the snatch you are using for any abrasive marks that a previous steel rope could have made.

As for that smittybilt winch line. I would stay away, it's most likely 5/16th" and thus right on the money for synth pricing. Only 10k lbs limit too, 3/8" will get you up around the 17k range.

Funny, in all the overhead rigging I do for work there are a lot of rules and standards that we must follow and different specs that rigging supplies have to meet. Vehicle recovery does not have any specs, only guidelines.
SuperWinch has a 20,000lb rated snach block that great for synthetic up to 3/8. Also an update on wich winch I went with, I bought the EPI9.0S from Amazon 730.24. Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!!!:clap::rocker::cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts

Cool. Thank you for the reply. I have a Warn from a show that I got with no marks.

Mr.FJT Congrads! Winch is some of the best insurance you can buy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts