Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched all through this forum and online but I can't find a lot of info on guys running 10 inch wide wheels. I see a lot of guys with 8 and 9s with wheel spacers so I'd rather run a wider wheel and no spacer. The attached pic is the setup and style I am going for.

I ran 12 inch wide wheels on my 2013 JKU and the stability was incredible. I want to run 1 305x70x16 or 285x70x16 KO2s on 16x10 pro comp wheels with -22 offset, 4.5 backspace, and a 2.5 inch emu lift and body chop. I just want to make sure that this is feasible with that setup. So can I see who all is running a 9.5 or 10 inch wheel and what your setup is???

I know 10 inches is alot..:jester:, and I know that most of you will say it will look dumb so please don't jack this thread with comments like that. I really just want to see who is running this setup, what they had to do to make it fit, and their impressions. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is more about stability than looks. I plan on doing more trail/exploring rather than rock crawling so I don't mind having less sidewall and more width on the tire/wheel. I'd rather run an extra inch on the wheel instead of using a spacer and just have more negative offset to keep it off the UCA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol.
Looks like they are rocking -99 offset with a 2 inch wheel spacer.
#Dublife

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
A 10" wide wheel won't offer you any more or less stability than an 8" or 9". Tire width is what determines contact patch width with the ground. Regardless of wheel width the tire width doesn't change. I have 12" wide tires on my 8.5" wide wheels, with a 10" wheel my tire it still 12" wide.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My advice is that you want 4.5" backspace or less to clear the upper controls arms. And the amount of tire bulge can affect that width. With 4.0 or less you should be safe

As you start moving outward with wider wheels and tires, what comes into play is that the tire/wheel combo will hit the body mount when you turn. That can require a body mount chop (BMC) and possible hammering of inner fenderwells to gain clearance. You are also going to want to run about 3" lift to gain clearance so that when you do stuff the tires/wheels into the fenderwell when offroading you wont have problems.

I suggest you look at the largest width tire people are running and what kind of backspacing on their wheels. Then look at what is the widest width rim that looks reasonable for a given tire width.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Icarus, that is one fine looking FJ and glad you went for satin, not polished wheels and have always liked "deep dish", "fatlip" look! If it were me, only thing I'd change is have steel wheels of some sort painted yellow and black. Sorry, can't help on wheels or offset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts