Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was picking up a couple of items at Northern Tool and Equipment the other day when I found this new RiteLite product. "RiteLite Wireless LED Drawer/Utility Lights No. LPL632" for $9.98. They come two to a pack, so I decided to use one in the FJ glove box. Works great! I have detailed product and installation instructions in the attached PDF file.

It will take you about 10 minutes (1 beer), if you follow my instructions. You may be able to find a different mounting location, but I spent some time experimenting with other glove box mounting locations and this one works best. Since this is a two-part contact switch your kinda limited on good mounting locations. Make sure you thoroughly clean the mounting areas with isopropyl alcohol otherwise the double-sided tape won't stick.

I don't work or have any relationship with RiteLite. I know their stuff works and it's not expensive for what it does.

How can you tell if the light really goes off when you close the glove box door? I put my little digital camera in the glove box and did a short video recording to prove it to myself. Maybe I should try the camera in the refrigerator too. :cheers:

I also used RiteLite LED puck lights in this thread:
"5 Minute Mod - Interior Backseat Light Addition"
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ute-mod-interior-backseat-light-addition.html

Attachments

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Great idea! Thanks for posting!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sweet idea. Great thread.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I already did the other light mod (great, simple idea!), now I'll look into doing this one. Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
what is up with the great toyota thinking.. no lights.. one 12v plug..

we need some members here to be on the next engineering team..

great thinking.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Great idea!!! You did a nice install, very clean!:rocker:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyway to post some pics of how bright it is in the dark? and THANKS!!!
I took a couple of pictures tonight, one with flash on and one with flash off. It's kinda hard to tell from the photo how much light is being cast. I can tell you that I don't have to turn on the interior lights or reach for a flashlight when digging in the glove box anymore.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
How do you know the light goes off when you close the glove compartment?

While I have everyone's attention, does anyone know why my overhead light might not work when the door is opened? It works fine manually. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
How do you know the light goes off when you close the glove compartment?

While I have everyone's attention, does anyone know why my overhead light might not work when the door is opened? It works fine manually. Thank you.
Not sure. I assume you have it switched to the "door" position.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
If the switch is in the 'door' position, then I would check the switch on the door frame.

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts