Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
)Oops, I meant "brainiacs")

Warning, might be a wild goose chase:

Okay, so PRCruiser and I have 4x4's without a rear diff. We desperately want ATRAC but everything we read tells us it's not possible. We heard the ECU was the same in both FJ's with and without the diff (we heard, don't know if it is fact). Here is our offer:

If there is an engineering genius who can figure out how to enable (hack/mod) with just the switch and a couple of wires, we'd be so grateful as to offer you $50 bucks each. I think he has another Puerto Rican friend that will offer $50 bucks, too. If you can figure it out and we can verify it works, the money is yours.

If you're in SOCAL and you can mod it on mine (labor too) I'll give you a total of $200 myself. It has to work, of course, so please be up to it.

Thanks for reading this, if I can't get it done, I might just be in for a 2009 FJ with ATRAC.

By the way, I took some hills with some other FJs this week and I made them just fine. There was a wheel spinning moment, though. I had to think my way out of it. It would kill me if the wiring for this was all there anyway.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Warning, might be a wild goose chase:

Okay, so PRCruiser and I have 4x4's without a rear diff. We desperately want ATRAC but everything we read tells us it's not possible. We heard the ECU was the same in both FJ's with and without the diff (we heard, don't know if it is fact). Here is our offer:

If there is an engineering genius who can figure out how to enable (hack/mod) with just the switch and a couple of wires, we'd be so grateful as to offer you $50 bucks each. I think he has another Puerto Rican friend that will offer $50 bucks, too. If you can figure it out and we can verify it works, the money is yours.

If you're in SOCAL and you can mod it on mine (labor too) I'll give you a total of $200 myself. It has to work, of course, so please be up to it.

Thanks for reading this, if I can't get it done, I might just be in for a 2009 FJ with ATRAC.

By the way, I took some hills with some other FJs this week and I made them just fine. There was a wheel spinning moment, though. I had to think my way out of it. It would kill me if the wiring for this was all there anyway.
Yep, thats correct hbfj.

So, who's interested ? lets go lets go com'on people !!

There's another one (TeamSobaco) with $50 more.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
solution: just get arb's front anf rear then theres no need for atrac, problem: price w/ install ~2k
I know it doesnt help but its an option

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK I'm lost what do you mean? I lost you at you have a 4x4 with no rear diff?
Are just trying to gain a locking rear diff?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
No they want atrac which you cant have unless you have the factory rear locking diff. If it is the same ecu there should be a way do it realitivly easy by either grounding a wire of sending 12v to one of the pins

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No they want atrac which you cant have unless you have the factory rear locking diff. If it is the same ecu there should be a way do it realitivly easy by either grounding a wire of sending 12v to one of the pins
That's what we're really hoping for. We're not schematically inclined, but maybe someone out there is. Let the thinking games begin!:thinkerg:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Could you get both diagrams, early and current / revised diagrams for me to look at? If your correct about early and current FJ's running the same ECU, then it should just be a matter of splicing in wires from the switch or adding wiring from the switch with pins into the main connector. I have alot of experience working and modifing the multiplex system used in Prevost motor homes and coaches, so it should be similar if not easier.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
From what we have heard, the 4WD computer (not the main ECU) is different on the vehicles with the electric rear locker, and that is why you cannot "hack" the A-trac on those vehicles....Get Air Lockers f/r and you won't have to worry about it in the dirt (although the A-Trac system works awesome....)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just to add more to the pot.

I find it funny that the Atrac button install only works on 4X4's with a Rear Diff Lock.

ESPEICALLY because when you turn on the rear diff lock, ATRAC GOES OFF TOO!!! Unless you have done the Atrac hack.

Seems to me to be bassackwards.

Hope you find a way.

Dax

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe the third member (actual ring and pinion "chunk" in the center or the rear diff) is shared by other Models seems like one could get an older third with a locker and bolt in wire and go as long as the axle spline # is the same. Just hopefully another avenue for you to search.

·
Registered
563 Posts
WHy not just buy ARB lockers front and rear?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Wild Goose Chase is over, I got 'A-Trac' working last night and yes I don't have a locker!

Working on the write up right now...

So does this offer still stand:lol:
Wow really? So there are not different computers in them or did you do some MAJOR hacking and wiring?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.