Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum! Joined to ask the collective wisdom here on what would be the best thing I could do for my baby now that he's hitting 100k miles. I plan on taking my tax return and doing as much preventative and proactive maintenance I can for him. I want him to last another 100k! I have listed below the services/parts in order that I'm going to try and get done... I just found it googling articles. I'm not all that learned in car maintenance so all advice is appreciated!

Is there anything that's more critical at this point in it's lifecycle that I don't have listed below? For FJs specifically, is there something that wears out faster which should be replaced? Thank you so much for your help!

Details:
  • 100k miles
  • 2-WD (sad, I know)
  • no performance mods, just vanilla
  • I've named him 'Otis'

Use:
  • frequently on rough road, mild off-roading
  • in harsh winter climate
  • also take it on extended road trips
  • is currently making a grinding noise when in a left turn at slow speeds

Maintenance Considering (in this order):
  1. replace timing belt
  2. flush cooling system
  3. all fluids: transmission, power steering, brake,
  4. new spark plugs
  5. new battery
  6. compression test - replace hoses, clamps
  7. replace shocks / struts
  8. clean exhaust system

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
  • 100k miles
  • 2-WD (sad, I know)
  • no performance mods, just vanilla
  • I've named him 'Otis'

Use:
  • frequently on rough road, mild off-roading
  • in harsh winter climate
  • also take it on extended road trips
  • is currently making a grinding noise when in a left turn at slow speeds

Maintenance Considering (in this order):
  1. replace timing belt
  2. flush cooling system
  3. all fluids: transmission, power steering, brake,
  4. new spark plugs
  5. new battery
  6. compression test - replace hoses, clamps
  7. replace shocks / struts
  8. clean exhaust system
Otis - like Redding, or the elevator?

#1: your manual is linked below: go there and download and do all the periodic maintenance for 30,60,90K miles.

You don't have a timing belt, you have a timing chain. It doesn't need periodic replacement (maybe at 250K).

I might do a water pump, depending upon how the coolant looks.

Compression test is probably not necessary.

Fluids: all oils should be changed to synthetics. You can go factory OEM, Mobil 1, AMSOil, Redline - whatever. Lots of debates on this.
  • 5W30 (or 10W30) motor oil - @FJtest, who is a very smart and analytical dude, makes a compelling argument for 10W30 motor oil to prolong timing chain life.
  • 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil in the differential
  • Toyota WS-compatible ATF (auto trans fluid)
  • Toyota Type T-III and T-IV compatible power steering fluid

Coolant: use the factory pink coolant, available at the dealer, Amazon, etc.

Hoses - good idea to replace. Keep the factory clamps; they're better than the cheapo aftermarket ones you usually see.

If you're going to replace shocks, etc., take a look at the forum here to see if anyone is giving any away for free or cheap. I think the Toyota/Bilstein shocks that came on the Offroad Package are a good fit for daily-driver use. Otherwise, don't go with OEM (too expensive for what they are), go with Bilstein direct replacements - Part Number: 24-188401 for the fronts, Part Number: 24-186049 for the rears.

Battery: buy an Interstate battery, unless you want to go Optima.

I'm not sure what "clean exhaust system" would accomplish.

The grinding noise might be a Constant Velocity (CV) joint. Crank the wheels and see if you've got any leaky or wet spots under there.

Fuel: your motor makes more power with higher-octane fuel. I would argue for Top Tier fuels, always. More than one motor builder I know insists on fuels from Chevron, 76, or Shell. You want to avoid carbon build-up in the combustion chambers, which is a very bad thing.

I would also run a few bottles of Techron through the first few tanks - just in case. Previous owner might have run cheapo garbage fuel through it previously. O'Reilly usually has a 2-for-1 sale on Techron every other month.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Shocks don't need to be replaced until they are worn out. Battery should be tested but don't replace it until it is not producing the load required. I'm assuming you've greased the zerks & changed the cabin & engine air filters. I don't even know what cleaning the exhaust is ?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otis - like Redding, or the elevator?

#1: your manual is linked below: go there and download and do all the periodic maintenance for 30,60,90K miles.

You don't have a timing belt, you have a timing chain. It doesn't need periodic replacement (maybe at 250K).

I might do a water pump, depending upon how the coolant looks.

Compression test is probably not necessary.

Coolant: use the factory pink coolant, available at the dealer, Amazon, etc.

Fluids: all oils should be changed to synthetics. You can go factory OEM, Mobil 1, AMSOil, Redline - whatever. Lots of debates on this.

Hoses - good idea to replace. Keep the factory clamps; they're better than the cheapo aftermarket ones you usually see.

If you're going to replace shocks, etc., take a look at the forum here to see if anyone is giving any away for free or cheap. I think the Toyota/Bilstein shocks that came on the Offroad Package are a good fit for daily-driver use. Otherwise, don't go with OEM (too expensive for what they are), go with Bilstein direct replacements - Part Number: 24-188401 for the fronts, Part Number: 24-186049 for the rears.

Battery: buy an Interstate battery, unless you want to go Optima.

I'm not sure what "clean exhaust system" would accomplish.

The grinding noise might be a Constant Velocity (CV) joint. Crank the wheels and see if you've got any leaky or wet spots under there.
Thank you so much!!! He's Otis since my friends FJ was Milo, so the pair was after the kids movie of the cat and dog that were always getting in trouble.

I've already gone full synthetics, I hadn't been too picky on the brand though.

Articles had just mentioned being proactive about the timing chain is a good idea, but 100k is perhaps a bit too ambitious I'm hearing?

Way back at 30k, a shop had mentioned needing to replace the struts/shocks because of something I had done to them off-road but I called baloney and they've been fine. I don't really know what I'd be looking for but they ride fine enough.

'Exhaust system clean' was just another thing I hadn't heard of I pulled from an article online...

No wet spots, the specificity of the movement of the car to recreate the noise is whats bothering me... it's only in a left turn, forward, at slow speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shocks don't need to be replaced until they are worn out. Battery should be tested but don't replace it until it is not producing the load required. I'm assuming you've greased the zerks & changed the cabin & engine air filters. I don't even know what cleaning the exhaust is ?!
Thanks! Yes - all filters and oil change without a doubt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bumping older tread thought it better than making a new one. Wouldn't it be a good idea to check the valve clearances and adjust them?

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Bumping older tread thought it better than making a new one. Wouldn't it be a good idea to check the valve clearances and adjust them?

I’m fairly sure valves are hydraulic auto adjusted. Hopefully someone with more brains than I will chime in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The issue has already been referenced but I'll reiterate... Change All Fluids, especially the transmission to include a new filter.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I was glad to see OPs list included the power steering fluid, which is often overlooked because it isn't listed in the owner's manual maintenance section, most of the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post for a newbie like me. I'm in the process of buying a 2007 4x4 FJ with almost 200K miles and have similar questions.

Would pro-actively replacing the thermostat and water hoses be advisable on high mileage FJ's?

Also, before I ask too many questions, is there an ultimate maintenance guide for FJ's that has all recommended fluids, filters, and common maintenance items with parts #'s available somewhere for someone just starting out? (I checked sticky and did search on maintenance forum)

Maybe I'm asking too much, but was hoping to find something like this for for FJ instead of Sequoias:
https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/official-ultimate-2001-2015-sequoia-maintenance-thread.1164409/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts