Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AZFJ's
Earnhardt Toyota would like to have our fine group at 6136 East Auto Loop Avenue Mesa, AZ 85206 to have Coffee and Donuts in the morning Afterwards, we will go to do a trail run at Box Canyon, Florence AZ. We will have fun and go back for a post trail gathering at Earnhardt Toyota where we will line up our rigs as if they were the Rockettes. They will provide lunch for us. Rumor has it they may have some swagg to give away. It would be nice to have a strong gathering for this event. We can promote ourselves and also continued interest in trail safety, clean up and Tread lightly. It would be nice to recruit some new non members to this event

Date: November 10, 2007

Place: Earnhardt Toyota
6136 East Auto Loop Avenue,
Mesa, AZ 85206

Time: 9:00 AM

To the trail : 10 ish

Back for line
up lunch and
swagg : 2:30-3:00 PM ish

Please post up if you can make it. I will update the first thread
Please stay on topic so we all don't get confused

Who will attend
Don (puulboy) & Rose, with Raffle Aspirations :thinkerg:
Kurt (Homedad) coffee in hand
Jason (blackcherry) CB working maybe
Lance (1leglance) at the finish line
Carrie (CruiserAZ) with coordinates in hand
(J762) patience is in
Bill (AZ-TRD with Diane) I'm in
Dan/Kat (Katfish and 3DTONKA) Possibility
(Honu) Possible
Mike/Sharron (DIZZYSPOTS) odds are with us
Jon (Bellydoc) if no housecalls
Mike (Tibaal89) I'm in
Dan/Jessa (PUMBAA) 100%
Todd (toddunderscore)
(Fredwood)
(criusinwyo)
barney (8ball)
(Daimond Dave)
Kurt (Homedad) sportin his new brick

·
Registered
462 Posts
so what a run first don?I am right down the road that is my stomping ground.

This is a good area look up elvis it is a good trail with some hard obstacles and some bypass.But there is a hill climb play area that is a blast out there.

I will attend this fest so count me in ok.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I can't make the 9am meet or run since I have to teach a CPR class that morning at the hospital but I can make the remeet at 3pmish since I will be finished teaching at noon....
I there is cell service in your run area I can try to find ya'll so that I at least get dusty for the remeet :)
If they want to raffle off something cool then a cyclonic pre-cleaner would be really nice....
Of course anything would be nice.....free stuff rocks.
Thanks for putting this together Don, Camelback Toyota wants to do the same thing with the Adventure4x4.net group. If you want to reach out to more FJ owners you can post it there, expeditionportal and on ih8mud also...
enjoy
1leglance

·
Registered
440 Posts
Please count me in.

Lance, I got a laptop last week (Mac) with wi fi capabilities, so maybe we can discuss the communication issues at the Cub Scouts meeting this week or PM me. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is that enough time to actually go do a run and enjoy it?

9am at Earnheardts, then 10am at the trail head, and back by 2-3ish? Seems a little rushed, but I'll see if I can make it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i'm in

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is that enough time to actually go do a run and enjoy it?

9am at Earnheardts, then 10am at the trail head, and back by 2-3ish? Seems a little rushed, but I'll see if I can make it.
Here's where the balancing act come's in.
Factor one:
Whenever runs are posted for early mornings, some post about it being too early because of travel to the meeting point.
Factor two:
This run isn't just about a trail, it's also a marketing tool for Earnhardt and inviting other prospective FJ owners to join us in events. The optimal times for dealerships aren't 7 am or 5 pm on a weekend.
I tried to plan a smaller rum (Box Canyon) because its really scenic and relatively close to Earnhardt. If Box Canyon ends up being too short and we have extra time we can choose to add something to it.

This is a first time event at a dealership and I didnt want to make it too too complicated. I will update the first post
Thank you for working with me on this
Don

·
Registered
462 Posts
No box canyon is a perfect trail it is short but you get see the cabins and in between you can due the hill climb play area which is great to show off how well a stock or built rig will climb with lockers and atrac.

It is just a blast to hang out in that area.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was just thinking we would be getting back later than that 2pmish time, but thats just 'cause usually when we run Box Canyon, we run a lot of other trails in the area as well. If it is just Box Canyon, I think it will be pretty close to perfect time wise.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
We are "definitely a possibility" for this one! :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Me too. A definite Possibility. I am going to try really hard to make it that day. Sounds like a great time.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
WHY? WHY? WHY? is every frickin thing on Sat? Jeez......:boohoo:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Have you put up the "Now Hiring" sign in your store window??
The worst thing is Deb HATES being open on Sat. Most times it sucks, but then, while you all were moddin we a had good day. So Sun., I raided Sears and gave to the god of Craftsman.....:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
chances are we(I) will make it ;)
how mellow is the trail ? I might have to bring my 3 year old along and dont want it to much bumping :)

if it is I just have to know :)

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Count on bumping when you go offroad around here! That being said, I've sold offroad driving to my girls, ages 2 and 4 based on "the bumpies". I just turned around and looked at them when it first started getting bumpy and let them see that I thought it was REALLY FUN!!! Their fears melted and they loved it. I go slowly and drive to make use of the bigger obstacles in helping to lift me over the smaller ones... this minimizes scraping. Nobody likes the sound of scraping. Even the girls can tell that its less than graceful.

I'm working on my schedule... there's been a lot of changes. Oddly enough, I'm on trauma call right now as I write.

Is your plan to run Box Canyon from south to north, entering from Florence? This is the upstream direction, and I think it's preferrable. In general, 4 wheelers tend to enter the box from below more often than from above and the likelihood of needing to do a trail pass is minimized if one goes with the flow. Trail passes are not possible in some section of the canyon.

Even with a couple of stops, it's hard to make Box Canyon last 3 hours "from pavement to pavement" if thats the only trail one does. Most of the other canyons besides Box Canyon/Mineral Mtn Rd and Cottonwood Cyn Rd. are fairly technical by comparison, although I'm always happy to take these options. Personally, though, if I go with a group then I want to stay and play with the whole group. It's a social thing. I prefer not to break into splinter factions unless that's a pre-agreed plan for some reason.

There is one option I've wanted to take for a LONG LONG TIME but I've never actually done it. It's food for thought here because this might be the right sized adventure for our non-club. What I've wanted to do is to follow back up along the Gila river basin along something that I think is called "Battleaxe Trail". It's comparatively long and I'm sure there are a few challenges along the way, but it's likely to be as moderate or moreso than the Box. This would start from the top of the box by going along the route toward Martinez Canyon and the Coke Ovens trail.

I sat mapped it out once, years back. I recall following a line as if going toward the Coke Ovens and then peeling off east. The trail then meanders up along the Gila river and in and out of side canyons till it arcs back up and rejoins the highway out past Superior.

Actually doing this drive would be best facilitated by planning a GPS route with waypoints. A number of us have the technology to do this very cleanly with onboard electronics. I typically just write a list of waypoints and print some sat photos, so I'm relatively low-tech.

I'm throwing this out there as a seed that may or may not grow and if not now, then perhaps at another time. This "non-club" is ready for a run that nobody has "pre-run". We can start thinking about doing something more time committing like El Camino Del Diablo after that.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts