Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2011 FJ and I am wondering where the heck are the 11 speakers. I can only see 6 plus the subwoofer. The salesman told me that there were 4 in the headliner but I find this hard to believe. He said that is why Toyota doesnt have the sunroof option because there are speakers up there and that would mess up the wiring, etc. I listened pretty close and I cant hear any sound coming from the roof.

I paid for the upgrade package which says on the sticker JBL sound system with 11 speakers + subwoofer. Did I get ripped off?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
No you didn't get ripped off. The only rip off is that Toyota calls the stereo a "premium" setup, but, at least in the older non-JBL stuff, the speakers are all just paper junk.

Here is the speaker layout for the older non-JBL 9 speaker setup. The ceiling speakers are flat "Exciter" speakers that just add noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does that mean I just have 4 crappy noise speakers in the roof instead of 2? Can you replace those roof speakers? It seems like it would be pretty messy. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I assume that you have the same 2 flat roof speakers as all models do.

For the JBL 11 speaker version, did they just add a speaker to the suicide doors? That would then be 11 speakers.

You can not replace the ceiling speakers. Some people like them and think they add ambiance. Most who have replaced their stock speakers with aftermarket setups have just unplugged them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope - no speakers in the suicide doors. Thats the 1st place I looked and would make logical sense.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I don’t think the dealer has control over what the sticker says. I thought it came from the port that way. If it says 11 speakers, I would be positive it has the 11.

Just to add, I know a lot of people rag on the stock speakers, but, while listening to some rockin’ disco last night, I think it sounds pretty awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
If the older stock paper speakers were replaced with better quality JBL speakers, perhaps the door speaker was upgraded with a component setup? They could count that as two more speakers. You would have to pull the door panel to find out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a 2010 with the premiumn sound and there are only 9 speakers. You will have the same 9 speakers with two of them in the ceiling. If you we're told 11, some one mis spoke.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Toyota's web site specifies 11 speakers including subwoofer in the Upgrade Package and Trail Teams Special Edition.

Upgrade Package - includes 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R17 tires, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) (4x4 models only), electronically controlled locking rear differential [2], 115V/400-watt AC power outlet, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc CD changer with MP3/WMA playback capability, 11 speakers including subwoofer, XM® Radio [3] (includes 90-day trial subscription), auxiliary audio jack, USB port [4] with iPod® [5] connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology, leather-trimmed steering wheel, exterior color-keyed door trim inserts, floating-ball Multi-Information Display with inclinometer, compass, and outside temperature, shift and transfer levers with silver accents (automatic transmissions only, transfer lever on 4x4 model only), and rear parking assist sonar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have to agree with Mckinngk, the window sticker says 11 speakers so I guess they are in there some where. It sounds pretty good. I dont think I would change them out but I just wanted to know for my own knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
FYI, here is Toyota's "premium" door speaker on the left as compared to an ARC audio aftermarket replacement. I hope you '11 guys got better speakers, but I doubt it. :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 2011 and I'm really curious where all of my 11 speakers are located. Or atleast the 4 I can't see.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Whoa! Toyota is going full range now with mid-range/tweeter combos! No more exciters either for the 11 speaker system. Thanks for the new diagram ALTEZZA, I am sure a lot of people will be looking for that!

·
Registered
535 Posts
FYI, here is Toyota's "premium" door speaker on the left as compared to an ARC audio aftermarket replacement. I hope you '11 guys got better speakers, but I doubt it.
Given the bass from the stock door speaker on my 2011 base system (6 speaker w/exciters) makes my door panel rattle and make noise, I can't imagine better bass from a better speaker would make the situation any better. :(

(Or, if I replaced the speakers, I'd have to Dynamat everything to avoid sound turning into a morass of plastic rattle goo. :( )

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My sticker says I have 11 speakers as well. I'll be damned if I could find all of them. I called my audio installer today and told him I want to install the Alpine amp I kept from my Magnum's system but wanted to keep the stock head unit if I could (for now anyway, I gotta say I like all the built in hands free stuff and the blue tooth phone stuff rocks). The told me it would be no problem but I really should swap out the factory speakers, thats why I started looking for them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Look above and you'll see exactly where 11 comes from:

2 x Full Range in the doors = 2
2 x Squawker + Tweeter in the dash = 4
2 x Squawker + Tweeter in the rear = 4
1 x Subwoofer

2 + 4 + 4 + 1 = 11.

(Or yes, Toyota considers a dual cone driver to be "two" speakers.)

·
Registered
627 Posts
What is a Squawker? And what is the exciter in the headliner speakers?
Squawker is slang for a "midrange" driver. A headliner "exciter" is a POS gimmick that glues a vibrator to the hardboard headliner and makes a lame attempt to vibrate the headliner to make sound. Kill the POS "exciter" thingies as your first act of improvement.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man, you guys are great! This has been driving me nuts!! Thanks for the detailed info!!

Now, what are the chances of the NXT Flat Panel "roof" speakers being blown? I noticed something was different on my 2011 TT and checked all my levels, fade, balance, etc. Nothing has changed, but the overall sound has.... any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts