Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Initial interest check for a run on the 26th from Silverwood Lake to Arrwohead Lake looks very promising. The plan is to take a nice and fun route with plenty of stops for photos and fun in the snow. This will be a post Christmas relaxing trip through the mountains. The route isn't cast in stone and is subject to change pending conditions. There should be plenty of snow.

Time: 12/26/07 9:30am
Place: Let's meet at the McDonald's parking lot off 138 (3230 WAGON TRAIN RD, SAN BERNARDINO, CA 92371). If you are going north on I-15, it's the exit AFTER Cleghorn.

McDonald's is easier to meet then the outlook at Silverwood Lake outlook. The plan to make this a casual ride that's fun for the family. There are opportunities to do some challenges on the way, but if you want to stay on the main trail, it shouldn't be too difficult. Again, it all depends on weather. Snow and ice can change the trailing experience dramatically. Bring your camera, some warm clothing, snacks, water, chains if you have them, and some toys for the snow. We'll break often but we'll have plenty of time. Final destination is Arrowhead Village.

Please post up if you are interested. More details to come as we get closer.

Interested parties:

1. Fjamming and family
    2. Dominic (maybe)
    3. Lancruiser92 (maybe)
    4. Fjrod
    5. h535 and family
    6. Mattmainster (maybe)
    7. MudlovingFJ
    8. CADavebert and family
    9. SoCalOCFJ and Laura
    10. Miss R2FJ (maybe)
    11. TIT-Cruiser
In case you missed it, the MAP IS HERE.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another maybe also, sounds like a nice easy "family" run....(me noobie) :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm in

·
Registered
211 Posts
Count me and the family in.

Speaking of routes, have you ever started this run from the north side of the lake? You get quite a few good views of Silverwood and the High Desert. The trail rides right along the rim. I have never ran it from the "outlook" so that would be cool too.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Count me and the family in.

Speaking of routes, have you ever started this run from the north side of the lake? You get quite a few good views of Silverwood and the High Desert. The trail rides right along the rim. I have never ran it from the "outlook" so that would be cool too.
I've never done it that way. I did hear one of the trails on the north side is fairly difficult with a long and steep climb over a trail that has deep ruts. I'm not sure if that was what you had in mind though. I've wanted to try that in fair weather, but never got the chance.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
The 26th is the First Day of Kwanza. Don't you feel a bit ashamed running around the mountains when you should be doing whatever people are supposed to do on Kwanza?

It's also Boxing Day in Great Britain. Shouldn't you all be boxing?

12-26-1919, Babe Ruth was sold to the Yankees, beginning "the Curse" to the Red Sox that was only recently lifted.

In 1991 on that date, the Supreme Soviet voted to dissolve the USSR.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The 26th is the First Day of Kwanza. Don't you feel a bit ashamed running around the mountains when you should be doing whatever people are supposed to do on Kwanza?

12-26-1919, Babe Ruth was sold to the Yankees, beginning "the Curse" to the Red Sox that was only recently lifted.

Just some thoughts.
Crap! GB Boxing Day... guess I won't be able to make it :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just some thoughts.
9:30 am sharp! :lol:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
dang i wish i could go guys, but i go back to work on wednesday, have a fun and safe trip up there!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FJ Play in the Snow? I'm there. Count me in. I think my little one want's to join this one too.

Tony, are your kids coming?
Of course! They've been talking about snow for the longest time. Last year was terrible for snow so they really miss it. We're bringing a sled. :)

dang i wish i could go guys, but i go back to work on wednesday, have a fun and safe trip up there!
We'll try and take a lot of pics Sang.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never done it that way. I did hear one of the trails on the north side is fairly difficult with a long and steep climb over a trail that has deep ruts. I'm not sure if that was what you had in mind though. I've wanted to try that in fair weather, but never got the chance.
No this is just the starting point at the top of Cedar Springs Dam. Fishermen use it to get to the other side of the lake. Easy road 2wd minivans might have some problems.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No this is just the starting point at the top of Cedar Springs Dam. Fishermen use it to get to the other side of the lake. Easy road 2wd minivans might have some problems.
How does it connect to the route we're taking? Does it connect to the back of Pilot Rock?

·
Registered
211 Posts
As far as I know it is the start of pilot rock. There are no other routes from it until you get farther up the trail. Once you climb upto the ridge line you start to get into the optional bypasses and there are a few turns off to miller canyon and saw mill road. Here is a SAT image. 138 turns into 173 if you go strait. The white line is the trail. You can see how it starts at the dam, follows the rim of the lake and becomes Pilot rock. We don't have to take this route, this is your ride :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are we still missing folks from the interest thread?

·
Registered
820 Posts
We are probably gonna be a maybe at this point. We are about 2 hours away from the meeting point, which would make for an early departure to meet up with you guys. It all depends on what the festivities are Xmas night. Will let you know for sure closer to the event!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts