Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
To answer your questions, Grim Reaper - I have the non-JBL version, and I thought it sounded okay as a stock system. Not the greatest but I'm no audiophile, and I got just enough oomph out of the sound for my taste. Having said that, the Android system sounds practically the same, if not slightly better. There are equalizer settings that you can tweak, which offer a little more options than the stock head unit. I'm sure people generally like to upgrade their speaker system when they install a new head unit, but I did not.

Blown383 - The radio reception is fine on this unit, as was the stock reception. I don't notice any difference. I can get all the local stations, and have no issues with radio reception.

LW3 - There is no on/off button, but there is an option to turn off the screen. It is essentially like having a tablet in your car, and the same way you can turn off the screen on your phone / tablet, you can do the same on this head unit. The unit turns on when you turn on your car, and can be "off" if you're not playing any media and have the screen off.

In terms of the plug ins for the stock hazards , defrost, airbag, and security, I didn't do the installation myself, but I took a look at the back, and there are connectors that basically unplug from the back of the stock system, and into the new head unit. I have to say that I did decide on this 12.3" screen version over the 10.25" screen version because it takes advantage of the space on the sides where those 4 buttons are (which I never use - I hardly use the rear defroster on the back window, I never use my hazards, and the airbag / seatbelt lights are just there on the right side wasting space).

As far as satellite capabilities, do you mean GPS, or radio? It comes with a GPS antenna which works with the built in iGo maps supplied with the unit. I prefer Google Maps, which doesn't require the GPS signal, but yes, it does have satellite capabilities if that's what you're asking.
Thank you... I was referring to Sirius/ XM and I found out the unit unfortunately does not support it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still available from Belsee
Here is the unit I purchased

Belsee
I'm still trying to get the harnesses sorted out :bangin:
tech support is SLOW and there is a bit of a language barrier...:killtard:
D:smile

·
Registered
102 Posts
Are you able to retain your steering wheel controls with a unit like this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
:smile
Are you able to retain your steering wheel controls with a unit like this?
Yes.
(I am going w/ the assumption that all the units offered online are from the same manufacturer & just sold by diff. vendors)
The Belsee & Seicane units look identical, both include the and steering wheel control, but email them to verify.
Be aware that an initially cheaper unit will probably be an older Android version (ex.:8 not 9)
& have smaller RAM/ROM
You also need a canbus module if you have the JBL system;
some vendors include it, others charge you.
They are pretty much universal plug & play modules.

D :smile

·
Registered
19 Posts
great post! I have a question,
about videos.. whats the dimension you used ?
I use Handbrake
W:640 H480 and videos are great but this screen is bigger

good to know there is more car launches

thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
i love this unit, my got installed today.
it came with canbus, but they didnt installed.. is the canbus necessary to be installed ?
oh the Agama Car Launcher app volume is not working /......

·
Registered
151 Posts
i love this unit, my got installed today.
it came with canbus, but they didnt installed.. is the canbus necessary to be installed ?
oh the Agama Car Launcher app volume is not working /......
Canbus required for the JBL amp, plugs into small white harness, I had NO volume w/o it plugged in.
I just finished my install today, (my first unit fried itself on start-up trying to get refund:fight:)
New unit (diff mfr.) had some trimming required & I still need to tweak it.
So far I'm liking it...
love the reverse & Waze display on a 12" screen!
Sound is quite good (& LOUD)

BTW has anyone had issue w/ hazards? Turn signals work but not hazards; might be the flasher relay(?)
Also anyone know their Factory Reset p/w? 126 doesn't work on this unit.

D :smile

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Rev,

Try the code 121212 to get into the back end of the software. That is the one provided to me by the seller, and it works for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey Rev,

Try the code 121212 to get into the back end of the software. That is the one provided to me by the seller, and it works for me.
Thx, LiL13izzy7
That worked! :)

Now I have to figure out why my reverse cam stopped working, hoping its a fuse or loose connection.
I had to do some mild trimming to top corners of "radio hole" to get proper fit, still VERY snug.
D :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put in the 9" Seicane unit last week and I love it. Steering wheel controls, OBD2, GPS all working nicely. When I pull into the driveway it connects to the WIFI and I can copy files to the System. Nice to have waze and google maps. I've also put an ZNES emulator on it, but I can't seem to get a bluetooth controller to pair with it..... Used Car Launcher 2 to replace the default launcher and it looks very nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would be interested in hearing updates on how these are going. Have they been reliable?

They look amazing, but cost about the same as mounting an ipad, which would obviously have better warranty and support but lacking the OEM look.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Would be interested in hearing updates on how these are going. Have they been reliable?

They look amazing, but cost about the same as mounting an ipad, which would obviously have better warranty and support but lacking the OEM look.
Prices vary, but units are pretty much the same.
The unit is nice so far, I am no Android guru but it appears to have an abundance of exploitable features (mine is 9.1)
Torque, iGo & several other apps are already bundled.
My main problem is the Hazard & Defrost switches not functioning. I think the problem is in the ribbon harness being correctly pinned-out, but I haven't removed unit to troubleshoot it yet

D:cowsmile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Is the UI and screen responsive? It looks laggy in some YouTube videos, but that might be poor recording.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far I'm happy with mine. It claimed it could only support 32G USB drives, but I formatted a 128G drive as exFat and it recognized the whole thing. I've downloaded offline maps and that's worked great. The only quirk I've had so far is that the steering wheel controls don't work when the inside of the car is near freezing, but once it warms up they do.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Is the UI and screen responsive? It looks laggy in some YouTube videos, but that might be poor recording.
UI works smoothly on my 121.3" H/U, can't remember if it has a sensitivity setting (will verify later if I find it)
I'm looking for a "fast-start" option, H/U takes 30-45 sec to boot...
Still need to figure out the hazard/defrost situation.
The 12" units don't use the OEM switches, you must remove A/C pod & attach to new face-plate, then plug in the 3 main harness connectors; no biggie;
the problem is that the pin-out from the OEM harness doesn't match-up w/ the H/U's ribbon wire.
I bench tested H/U & have power on/off @ the H/U hazard switch, but no joy when it was installed, so now I need to trace wires... :mecry:
(Anyone else w/ a 12.3" please verify?)

D :cowsmile:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry if it was already answered, but will the oem (pre JBL) subwoofer work with this headunit?
Not sure about pre-JBL,
But JBL requires a CANBUS module/adapter

D:cowsmile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just made a video review of my experience purchasing and using my 12.3" Android head unit. It's an honest review of some of its shortcomings, and some things I like about it. It is not an installation video, but does touch on some of the questions some of you have had over the course of this thread. Hope this helps. Also - I do not know much about installing stereos, so I had this professionally installed. There are lots of things covered, and probably many things I did not cover, but as far as I know, there aren't many videos of these head units out in the wild, so hopefully you'll be able to get a sense of what they're like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just made a video review of my experience purchasing and using my 12.3" Android head unit. It's an honest review of some of its shortcomings, and some things I like about it. It is not an installation video, but does touch on some of the questions some of you have had over the course of this thread. Hope this helps. Also - I do not know much about installing stereos, so I had this professionally installed. There are lots of things covered, and probably many things I did not cover, but as far as I know, there aren't many videos of these head units out in the wild, so hopefully you'll be able to get a sense of what they're like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b5hhhnrmg
Really great video, thank you for taking the time to make it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, folks. New here. Well I bought the android head unit and installed by myself, but the emergency lights and defrost are not working. I actually disconnect them. Why? Because the emergency lights start to flash and never stop even if you push the button so the only way to use the head unit was disconnected them 🤣, I have turn signas working but I need that emergency working. My FJ cruiser is 2007... Have any of you have the same issue and have solved? Thanks you

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts