Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it's working on mine ?!
I end up returning my unit (Aliexpress order) as an emergency light/defrost definitely not working.
Any recommendation of where to re-order?

Also, I installed factory radio back and must say the factory unit sounds better than android 12.3" (upgraded with Kenwood speakers)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I checked on Aliexpress and it’s hard to know which one to get. There is a considerable difference in price, though. I suppose that units with slightly older versions of Android can be updated.

Also, does anyone here know if the plastic bezel they send can be removed for painting? These units don’t come in the color I need. If they can be removed, can they be repainted at home to have the same OEM look?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Leirbag,
All the units are physically the same, only the "brain-guts" are different (software & Android version; core/RAM ROM size, etc)
If you have the JBL Subwoofer then you need the CANBUS adapter
Yes, the Bezel CAN be removed & painted, (it can be a PITA)
  • Almost all bezels are gloss black raw plastic, some vendors have silver avail.
Also be aware that you will have to:
  • cut the molded radio mounting out
  • you will xfer the A/C controls & mount to new face-plate
  • you will need to xfer the 2 ribbon cables from OEM face-plate to new one
  • there have been issues of hazard/defrost not working on some units, it looks related /isolated it to the ribbon connections, (still troubleshooting mine).
you can jumper the back-up cam into the head unit.
While you're at it, Metra AX-USB-35EXT 3.5mm iPod to USB Extension Cable is a plug & play mod to replace Aux plug under cig. lighter to give USB slot (plugs into back of head unit)

HTH!
D ? ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought all those units were the same, with the exception of perhaps processor and memory configuration. But even when comparing identical configurations some units are $380 while others are >$500. How can that be? They don’t know everyone can see all the prices? The part that they don’t seem to talk about are the audio electronics. Maybe there are big differences in amplifier, etc.?

Regarding the bezel repainting, did you mean the removal or the painting is a PITA? Or both? How do you paint it so it looks exactly like new, but obviously in a different color? Maybe someone here did this already. I didn’t search yet.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Leirbag,
I think the different price points, mainly due to processor config. or so it appears.
TAKE REFERENCE PICS.
The head unit itself is attached directly to the bezel & requires unscrewing approx. 1 trillion tiny little screws. (one of those little magnetic parts dishes is a must)
TAKE REFERENCE PICS.
The real pain is removing the relocated D/S he hazard & defrost switches P/S indicators.
They are two small circuit boards that are also screwed in but have the ribbon cables connecting to the head unit & are covered w/ a cloth tape. Requires much patience...
TAKE REFERENCE PICS.
The ribbon cable have very fragile locks to hold them in & you must note the orientation of the cables (one side is blue)
TAKE REFERENCE PICS
.I found out my paint skills suck! My FJ is Silver Fresco, but a silver bezel was not avail. when I bought my unit...Long story short, I went w/ Silver Hammertone.
There are OEM spray cans avail (assuming you wanna go w/ Radiant Red)
Again, when you do the swap you have to move the A/C "pod" over to the new bezel; it is attached via screws AND snap-in locks, you also have to switch the 2 ribbon cable jumpers from the OEM pods on either side of the radio,
TAKE REFERENCE PICS
the 2 OEM ribbon cables are different sizes
TAKE REFERENCE PICS

I like the unit, sound is good (I think REALLY good, but I'm no audiophile...) I use Waze, Pandora, Torque & other apps (A LOT), like the Bluetooth & like huge display, & w/ the B/U cam
Like I mentioned, the only problem is getting the ancillary buttons functioning (hazard/defrost & pass airbag/seatbelt lights) but I'm pretty sure that is due to flaky contact @ ribbon cables; I've verified continuity but haven't be able to take unit out again for a few weeks to rework the connections yet. My suspicion is the the factory may invert the cables on install & that these components are not tested before shipping, just the head unit itself (?) as this is not uncommon from my reading on the interweb.

D ? ?

p.s. TAKE REFERENCE PICS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One on the main advantages of these Android units over WiFi iPads is that they have built-in GPS. Has anyone ran GaiaGPS on one of these units?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Leirbag,
Silver is better (IMO), the black is TOO shiny (!?!).
The other concern w/ painting bezel is that the mic & reset pinhole labels are printed directly on the bezel, & the pinholes are right next to each other, so you could conceivably damage the mic by "resetting" H/U once the bezel was painted...
Not familiar w/Gaia, so haven't used it; I like Waze, due to real(ish) time & crowd sourcing format.
I mounted the GPS antenna inside the "3 Wise Men" gauge pod, no interference w/ compass & pretty easy to get to.
D ? ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Leirbag,
All the units are physically the same, only the "brain-guts" are different (software & Android version; core/RAM ROM size, etc)
If you have the JBL Subwoofer then you need the CANBUS adapter
Yes, the Bezel CAN be removed & painted, (it can be a PITA)
  • Almost all bezels are gloss black raw plastic, some vendors have silver avail.
Also be aware that you will have to:
  • cut the molded radio mounting out
  • you will xfer the A/C controls & mount to new face-plate
  • you will need to xfer the 2 ribbon cables from OEM face-plate to new one
  • there have been issues of hazard/defrost not working on some units, it looks related /isolated it to the ribbon connections, (still troubleshooting mine).
you can jumper the back-up cam into the head unit.
While you're at it, Metra AX-USB-35EXT 3.5mm iPod to USB Extension Cable is a plug & play mod to replace Aux plug under cig. lighter to give USB slot (plugs into back of head unit)

HTH!
D ? ?
If I ever wanted to install the OEM radio again, could i go back and do so?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Rev, can you give details on how you accessed the "3 Wise Men" gauge pod? I currently have my GPS unit in front of the passenger side dash speaker with spotty results. I might give it a go in your spot if I know how to get in there.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
LiL13izzy7,

The Cover pops-off pull from behind, fwd & up from bottom edge, not quite at base where it touches dashboard, but just above @ seam:

Test fit ant. so cover snaps back on, then affix w/ double-sided velcro tape on bottom of GPS ant. I used a longer strip of velcro on bottom for ease of adjustment:

feed cable down to headunit;
(you can also unbolt the entire unit from here for more room, if needed (2 nuts on either side in front);

pop cover back on!(y)

* the flat cable is the USB cable for my phone recharger/mount, did the same thing, but routed cable under bottom housing.

HTH!
Darrell ? ?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Basically, the orientation of the ribbon cables is inverted on the on headunit v OEM.
(Click on the blue text to go to the full post)
D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I appears that my unit doesn't offer split screen....anyone know how I can update the Android version?

81 - 100 of 104 Posts