Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, decided to finally get my own take on the accessory fuse block going - thanks to LandCruiserSteve and Shadow-Warrior...

The idea(s) are great, and I love them!

Went basically the same way as Steve, with the only real change being the location of the fuse block. After a bit of poking around, I found that there's a bit of room behind and to the outboard of the glove box on the passenger side - against the interior fender wall.

Mounting the top end of my stealth bracket to an existing 8MM bolt above and using a factory 6MM bolt below.

Tons of room here, but makes the initial wiring a bit tricky and kind of "touch and feel." Running 8-gauge Monster Cable Marine Power Cable from this point across and behind the interior dash assembly proved a bit tedious, but unseen and completely factory in appearance - even for those who may look to find the addtition.

From there I've run the power cable as well as an a Add-a-Circuit extension from the fuse block through an existing "grommetted" hole through the firewall.

I've made up a relay mounting bracket and relocation bracket for some other "thingy" as well to allow for the remote switched turn-on setup as outlined by "Steve."

All that's left is to make final power connections under the hood to the battery. Anybody know of a source for actual 8-gauge slide/quick connectors for final hookup to my relay? Streetwires used to market/sell these, but for now seem impossible to find anything like them - only up to 10-gauge.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
"Great Minds think alike", A few months ago I installed an Alternate Fuse block, with help from some great thinkers here in the forum....My install has a twist/ rendition to the typical install. I mounted the block to the inner wall of the FJ by using velcro extreme...This is the industrial type...I've been hitting the rocky stuff here in vegas, and the fuseblock has not moved at all.....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Great Minds think alike", A few months ago I installed an Alternate Fuse block, with help from some great thinkers here in the forum....My install has a twist/ rendition to the typical install. I mounted the block to the inner wall of the FJ by using velcro extreme...This is the industrial type...I've been hitting the rocky stuff here in vegas, and the fuseblock has not moved at all.....

Exactly the same spot that I've used. I thought about the velcro idea as well, but with a full stamping/laser/forming shop at my disposal+some really good CAD software, I just went the way of a hard-mount bracket.

Great spot though. Lots of room and not reason not to use it - as long as the wire route is manageable.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marvac in Costa Mesa will have what you need.
http://www.marvac.com/locations.aspxa

Curious why your running 8ga. cable to a relay?
Thanks for the link - actually I've poked around a bit through Marvac before (years ago), simply forgot all about them.

As for the wire size, I just tend to be a bit over0kill in this department, and happende to have plenty of it around for this project. Worst part about it I see, is finding all the correct terminals. 10-gauge or smaller would certainly be an easier task to complete all the connection points.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks for the link - actually I've poked around a bit through Marvac before (years ago), simply forgot all about them.

As for the wire size, I just tend to be a bit over0kill in this department, and happende to have plenty of it around for this project. Worst part about it I see, is finding all the correct terminals. 10-gauge or smaller would certainly be an easier task to complete all the connection points.

A.W.D.
I too, used 8ga super-flexible (we call it "wet noodle") wire for my main runs to the fuse block. Nothing but good 'ole overkill. :rocker:

Wiz -- Looks great, especially the killer bracket work. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Good to see more and more people installing a stand alone fuse block. Nice installs guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts