Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Respectable members of Toyota industries,

Why the heck isn't there another plug for the accessories that we own. i need at least a couple of other ones. when i asked my dealer he said that any addition to the electric system will void my warranty. man that really sucks.

please do add more plugs, and while you are at it please add a cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It would be nice to have a few more 12V plugs from the factory, but most guys on here just add their own 12V plugs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess I can understand TOYOTA not wanting every backyard wannabe mechanic splicing off their electrical system so we can run a few gadgets, BUT why don't they offer some simple mod kits that can be installed according to TOYOTA specs? That way we can run out toys and they can sell the kits!
I hate it whenever they threaten us with "Voiding our warranty"
I guess it's PIGTAILS for us... =)
http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/3-in-1-car-adapter-usb.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well

after a long discussion with the dealer, he told me to go buy an original 12V extension and stick it to my console. as a guy with an experience i know for a fact that those things ruin your wiring and overload the plug it self causing both of them to melt after a while.

what i have suggested was that ill drill in and install the plugs and me and the electrician will connect them with the proper fuses installed. and to my surprise they said that they do not do such a thing and that the electricians at toyota are not eligible to do such a thing...

FYI: ALJ Toyota is a share holder at Toyota Japan and they control the specs that the cars have when coming to us here in the Middle East... can you guys believe that the only FJ's we have here are called FJ1 and FJ2. we do not have neither the TT nor the TRD editions and the only real different between both of them are the E-Lockers :$

no 110 outlet, no intake allowed other than the one purchased at the dealer, no fog lights other than the one purchased at the dealer, no exhaust, no shocks, no brakes, no etc.... and they over charge those stuff to keep the warranty, if you buy any of them from elsewhere they will void the warranty, if you buy it from them and decide to install it at home it will void the warranty...

its a good thing that my Dad's company buys new cars " almost 250" a year, therefore i have leverage :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW scouter it does not work with the IPhone, that sucks too, u noticed that almost everything sucks for me, JK :) Thx for the add

I'm gonna buy a 3 plug socket with a good fuse and see where that takes me...

also I'm gonna start connecting my CB Radio tomorrow and hopefully that won't void my warranty

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Y'all DO understand that this point about "voiding the warranty" only applies to any failures that are directly caused by unauthorized modifications.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
well

after a long discussion with the dealer, he told me to go buy an original 12V extension and stick it to my console. as a guy with an experience i know for a fact that those things ruin your wiring and overload the plug it self causing both of them to melt after a while.

what i have suggested was that ill drill in and install the plugs and me and the electrician will connect them with the proper fuses installed. and to my surprise they said that they do not do such a thing and that the electricians at toyota are not eligible to do such a thing...

FYI: ALJ Toyota is a share holder at Toyota Japan and they control the specs that the cars have when coming to us here in the Middle East... can you guys believe that the only FJ's we have here are called FJ1 and FJ2. we do not have neither the TT nor the TRD editions and the only real different between both of them are the E-Lockers :$

no 110 outlet, no intake allowed other than the one purchased at the dealer, no fog lights other than the one purchased at the dealer, no exhaust, no shocks, no brakes, no etc.... and they over charge those stuff to keep the warranty, if you buy any of them from elsewhere they will void the warranty, if you buy it from them and decide to install it at home it will void the warranty...

its a good thing that my Dad's company buys new cars " almost 250" a year, therefore i have leverage :)
Read the threads on installing and extra 12 volt outlet in the front of the car. The fuse is set at like 20 amps or something. High enough to add on another 12 volt outlet tapped into the one above the aux input. Many people have done this (me included) and i have not seen anyone have an issue with it.

But yes, toyota should have definitely hooked us up with more outlets front and at least one in the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 1 12v outlet uses a 10A fuse. So, you'd be OK with up to about 100 watts. An ipod, or other similar device will only use maybe 10 or so watts, so 2 or 3 is no problem. I don't know about an actual cigarette lighter, but the heat element probably uses more than 10A, so that wouldn't be good.

·
Banned
124 Posts
The 1 12v outlet uses a 10A fuse. So, you'd be OK with up to about 100 watts. An ipod, or other similar device will only use maybe 10 or so watts, so 2 or 3 is no problem. I don't know about an actual cigarette lighter, but the heat element probably uses more than 10A, so that wouldn't be good.
Well for the iPod charging solution you can always get an interface that plugs into the back of the radio like our kit does and it is a plug and play install. No need to splice and cut into wires. This is also going to let your radio give you full control of the iPod as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm bothered by this as well. So far it is the only thing about the FJ that I see as a drawback coming from my Tacoma. I mean that was an '04 and it had THREE 12v adapters up front. Three! One for my cell phone, one for the bluetooth and one for a GPS or passengers charger, etc. What am I supposed to do with just one? I'd really like there to be one inside the totally uncovered center storage console*. And if I were to wire it up, I'd set it to be able to charge my phone whether the ACC section is powered or not.

Let me know if you guys figure this out in such a way that a) looks professional, and b) won't set the car on fire. :)

*(Okay, so there is one other thing that bothers me. How do I hide all the junk that used to be in my center armrest now that there's no lid?)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i guess i can always install another plug.. As for the warranty, i asked them and they said that if they saw it they will void the warranty... cheep ass dealer warranty.

man,,, i asked them about the option horn... they did not know that it even existed until i told them... they searched the database and found it in stock :$...

just before he searched, he advised me to install the Lexus RX 330 horn. i asked him if it would void my warranty and he said yes, again i asked him if it would void it why was he suggesting it.. the answer was that everyone was doing it and he thought that i might want to do it.

went to the maintenance advisor and asked him about plugging it, he said that they can't cause they have to tap to the wires and connect it. just because i use google and search allot o knew that there was a hidden plug for the AUX horn and it just needs revealing of the tape and connecting.... how can i know that with no parts no electric layout of the car and them with all the data that they have not know...

anyways i will finish it up and show them how to do it..

PS i'm a VIP member at that dealer with a whopping 32% discount and i have access to their workshop at any time.. the engineers there love me for the cars and parts that i show them which they will mostly never see in their lifetime cause of the ****ed up dealer they work with...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts