Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I just got quoted $1200 to get the OME 885/895 set installed, including alignment. Does this seem reasonable for the San Diego area? The parts/labor breakdown is $700/$500. It seems a bit high on the labor side, but I don't know...

I'm considering doing the install myself, but my experience is limited to bolting on rock rails :lol:. I'd hate to end up with a half installed pile of parts.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Hey folks, I just got quoted $1200 to get the OME 885/895 set installed, including alignment. Does this seem reasonable for the San Diego area? The parts/labor breakdown is $700/$500. It seems a bit high on the labor side, but I don't know...

I'm considering doing the install myself, but my experience is limited to bolting on rock rails :lol:. I'd hate to end up with a half installed pile of parts.

Set aside about 6-8 hours on the week end and you could easily do it yourself. It would be a lot easier with an extra set of hands. I'm sure a fellow san diegan would be down to help you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yikes. I just installed my own. I have no experience and it wasn't too bad. If you have too just take your springs down there and have them swap out your coils for like 40 bucks. Its good to get to know your fj.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's what I paid at 4 Wheel Parts... It was pretty quick. Dropped off at 8, picked up at around 1... No issues so far...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If you for real have no mechanical skills or tools, or even friends that have tools and some skills, then yes get a shop to do it. MOST shops will quote you 5 hours or so to do the labor, anything longer, then they don't know what they are doing. A skilled mechanic with the tools and having changed coil-overs out before could do this job in 3. I could do it in 3 (if i had a spring compressor and floor jack) and would only charge you 100 bucks if you lived near here. Unless you helped do a lot of the work then i wouldn't charge you. I would just show you what to do and supervise.
400-500 is pretty accurate (with 500 being on the hi side). But 500 with an alignment is okay. However the springs will settle so i wouldn't recommend an alignment til after a week of driving. Some say get it right away. After my second set of OME's up front i say wait.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
It's is fairly simple and their is a very detailed thread called, living post ome install
Or something to that tune. They offer some great tips. You will need basic tools in metric sizes. A 14 mm wrench (not socket) is REQUIRED to get the third rear bolt off the top of the front coil-overs.( I almost broke a finger trying to get it with a crescent wrench and a socket won't fit. )
Two jack stands, floor jack or a hi-lift (what i used), and someone else to take you to get the top plate of the OEM coil-over swapped to the old man emu coil-overs.

It is a terrific way to get to see and understand the workings off the suspension and axle of the FJ.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
This is all you need for the install:

Torque wrench
19mm socket and box end
12,13, and 14mm sockets or box ends
BFH
jack and jackstands

You could pull the stock struts out, take them and the OME's to your local tire shop or the like, and probably give them $20 to assemble the OME's using the stock top plates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone, thanks for your advice. I'm going to take a close look at that install thread to see if I'd be able to manage it myself. Like mentioned, it's an opportunity to gain some experience on suspension mechanics.

I'm going to confess something: I am debating whether or not I need a lift at this point. I have been on "moderate" rated trails, and in its stock form, the FJ handles like a dream. I would like to explore the "advanced" trails, so would I be better off getting sliders first, and doing the lift once I start consistently banging them up?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Check around with any of the forum sponsors that might be in your area. I would bet you could get it done in the $300 range, which is what Metal-Tech charges the last time I talked to them (February). Keep in mind, you will need to get an alignment done afterwards, which is another $50 to $100.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Everyone, thanks for your advice. I'm going to take a close look at that install thread to see if I'd be able to manage it myself. Like mentioned, it's an opportunity to gain some experience on suspension mechanics.

I'm going to confess something: I am debating whether or not I need a lift at this point. I have been on "moderate" rated trails, and in its stock form, the FJ handles like a dream. I would like to explore the "advanced" trails, so would I be better off getting sliders first, and doing the lift once I start consistently banging them up?
If you are looking to get into "advanced trails", in addition to sliders and a lift, consider better tires and some underbody protection...skids. What order you do them can be a tough decision, but better tires should be a priority. The problem with getting better tires off the bat is that for the most benefit, you really want to go bigger, but that usually requires a lift.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Jerry, where are you at in SD? I can help ya do it. no probs, just lemme know.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Jerry,
I paid $750 for lift (heavy/med) from Cruiser Solutions which included shipping from NH to WI. I had Moose's 4x4 in Hartford, WI install it for $450 + $90 for alignment. Total cost for parts and labor: ~$1300. They kept it one day for the lift install and one day for the alignment. Rented a car for $25/day. :)
Axle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerry, where are you at in SD? I can help ya do it. no probs, just lemme know.
I live in South San Diego (Otay Mesa). Thanks for the offer! :rocker: I'll add you to my buddy list and shoot ya a PM, if I go that route.

Regarding suspension/tires vs skids: I guess it boils down to performance vs. protection. I suppose I should concentrate on traction and clearance first.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i paid 265 free alingment but thats on the east coast i cant see the prices being that much more on the west coast and that price was at a toyota dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suggest doing it yourself with someone who has done it before or is mechanically inclined. It is a lot of fun (at least I thought so) and as it has already been said, you will learn a great deal about your rig. Plus there are enough how to's and walkthough's on this site with pictures, you should be able to gather the right info to knock it out with no problem.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I live in South San Diego (Otay Mesa). Thanks for the offer! :rocker: I'll add you to my buddy list and shoot ya a PM, if I go that route.

Regarding suspension/tires vs skids: I guess it boils down to performance vs. protection. I suppose I should concentrate on traction and clearance first.
cool, I'm not far from ya at all. just lemme know.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

:bandit:Seems they are smoking some good $hit.pass pass.Have a forum buddy give you a hand buy a 12 pack and get ready to get dirty and install the parts so you can learn.If I lived closer I would give you a hand.Save the money for another mod.I just hate when people get RIP OFF by mechanics......Good luck Dont PAY THEM!!!!:rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
911 Posts
hey men, i just saw this, im also local, i live in San ysidro so im like 5 min away, shoot me a PM also if you want, i changed my WE in the front and DR on the back, and it took me like 6 hours by my self, but it should be considerable shorter if there is 2 or 3 of us...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey men, i just saw this, im also local, i live in San ysidro so im like 5 min away, shoot me a PM also if you want, i changed my WE in the front and DR on the back, and it took me like 6 hours by my self, but it should be considerable shorter if there is 2 or 3 of us...
Added you to my list! :rocker:

I gotta tell you guys, with the money I'd save, a set of adjustable coilovers is starting to look mighty tempting...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts