Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was wondering what is the best method for attaching the panel to the hood?
I glued several rare earth magnets to my solar panel. I installed a blackout vinyl decal to protect the paint. I installed self-adhesive foam all the way around the perimeter of the panel on the hood side. When on an over landing trip, I never remove the panel, even while driving. The rare earth magnets are plenty strong to hold the panel securely in place, even at freeway speeds. Zoom in and you can see it in these photos.

·
Registered
509 Posts
All good ideas on mounting on the hood.
Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
I glued several rare earth magnets to my solar panel. I installed a blackout vinyl decal to protect the paint. I installed self-adhesive foam all the way around the perimeter of the panel on the hood side. When on an over landing trip, I never remove the panel, even while driving. The rare earth magnets are plenty strong to hold the panel securely in place, even at freeway speeds. Zoom in and you can see it in these photos. View attachment 1122177 View attachment 1122178
Good looking rig. That’s the slickest looking snorkel I’ve seen on an FJ. Can you tell me more about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes they do need to be relocated... I did a full write-up in my 80W thread = 80W Lensun Flexible Solar Panel mounted to hood (post #24 addresses the squirters)
OK, thanks, I'll have a look. I'm interested in a higher capacity panel, but I'm pretty happy so far with the performance of my setup. Will have to evaluate if changing the squirters is worth the extra capacity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any idea of how long until this sees a public release?

Hey everyone,
I'm back with a version 2.0 of hood solar. Lensun has been paying attention to the application of it's flexible solar panels on the hood of our off-road rigs and is in the process of releasing vehicle specific flexible solar hood panels in 2020. I don't have any affiliation with them other than being a consumer and one of the early adopters of this application (see my 80W Lensun thread here). I have been in contact with Lensun via IG over the past few months helping them with dimensions and fitment questions, thus allowing me to get the first unit produced. Early bird pricing is USD $349.

I still need to remove my old version as well as perform a few electrical management system upgrades from Redarc and PowerTrays this summer before installing this new FJ specific panel. Getting excited though!

Here is a recap of the new custom Lensun solar panel improvements...
1) New 120w panel takes up the roughly the same hood space as the current 80w
2) Custom contoured to the shape of the FJ hood
3) Trim guard comes pre-installed around panel edges
4) No metal eyelets at the corners of the panel

View attachment 1121683

View attachment 1121682

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finally get warm enough in CO to start planning this project... here's some pics of the panel finally resting on the FJ. Such a nice design and fit. I think I'm going directly to the hood with this one rather than the vinyl wrap underlay. #fullsend

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered mine last night. I'm thinking I'd like to put a vinyl wrap on my hood so I can attach magnets to Panel so I can take it off when I'm not using it. Do you think that would work?

Finally get warm enough in CO to start planning this project... here's some pics of the panel finally resting on the FJ. Such a nice design and fit. I think I'm going directly to the hood with this one rather than the vinyl wrap underlay. #fullsend

View attachment 1128198

View attachment 1128199

View attachment 1128200

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I ordered mine last night. I'm thinking I'd like to put a vinyl wrap on my hood so I can attach magnets to Panel so I can take it off when I'm not using it. Do you think that would work?
After chatting with @ideola I am going the magnet route as well. Still debating on size, quantity and adhesive technique though. No one has stuck down a panel of this size with magnets yet so it's still a guessing game. I'll being using totalelement.com for my magnets as they are a local company to CO. In case you're wondering, I already spoke to them regarding their opinion on magnet size and strength but they offer no concrete recommendations as they are not engineers nor do they consult on custom projects with this type of liability. They are very nice and will explain magnets to you but don't try to turn to them for advice.... they'll just tell you it's trial and error. I can't blame them for keeping their distance on something like this.

I will not be going with a vinyl wrap this time if using magnets. I will add a coating or 3M film to the bottom of the magnet though to prevent direct contact to the hood. I really want to show off just the design of the panel without a wrap. Plus it saves $ on the vinyl :)

Finally, I'm not sure you'll find yourself taking it off. It will come in handy to keep your battery(s) charged and will be attached to a solar controller. You'd have to use a quick disconnect from the solar controller which i guess wouldn't be hard. My solar is constantly trickle charging my dual batteries and allowing me to keep my ARB fridge running all summer long while parked in the driveway. I chose the hood because it's free space and I would not have to take it on and off. I think you'll want to keep it on there once you reap the benefits of free power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the tip on where to get magnets. I'm having a discussion with my mechanical engineers from work right now about what I should use; I'll let you know what they suggest. I don't have a garage and I live in a city, so there is little doubt that if I don't take it off when not in use it's going to get boosted. Also, my FJ is all white and I love the look of a hit of black on the hood, so the vinyl wrap is a win win for me. I'll have to do a little research and find the right QD connection for the charger.

Cheers,

After chatting with @ideola I am going the magnet route as well. Still debating on size, quantity and adhesive technique though. No one has stuck down a panel of this size with magnets yet so it's still a guessing game. I'll being using totalelement.com for my magnets as they are a local company to CO. In case you're wondering, I already spoke to them regarding their opinion on magnet size and strength but they offer no concrete recommendations as they are not engineers nor do they consult on custom projects with this type of liability. They are very nice and will explain magnets to you but don't try to turn to them for advice.... they'll just tell you it's trial and error. I can't blame them for keeping their distance on something like this.

I will not be going with a vinyl wrap this time if using magnets. I will add a coating or 3M film to the bottom of the magnet though to prevent direct contact to the hood. I really want to show off just the design of the panel without a wrap. Plus it saves $ on the vinyl :)

Finally, I'm not sure you'll find yourself taking it off. It will come in handy to keep your battery(s) charged and will be attached to a solar controller. You'd have to use a quick disconnect from the solar controller which i guess wouldn't be hard. My solar is constantly trickle charging my dual batteries and allowing me to keep my ARB fridge running all summer long while parked in the driveway. I chose the hood because it's free space and I would not have to take it on and off. I think you'll want to keep it on there once you reap the benefits of free power.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts