Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was wondering what is the best method for attaching the panel to the hood?
I glued several rare earth magnets to my solar panel. I installed a blackout vinyl decal to protect the paint. I installed self-adhesive foam all the way around the perimeter of the panel on the hood side. When on an over landing trip, I never remove the panel, even while driving. The rare earth magnets are plenty strong to hold the panel securely in place, even at freeway speeds. Zoom in and you can see it in these photos.

·
Registered
501 Posts
All good ideas on mounting on the hood.
Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I glued several rare earth magnets to my solar panel. I installed a blackout vinyl decal to protect the paint. I installed self-adhesive foam all the way around the perimeter of the panel on the hood side. When on an over landing trip, I never remove the panel, even while driving. The rare earth magnets are plenty strong to hold the panel securely in place, even at freeway speeds. Zoom in and you can see it in these photos. View attachment 1122177 View attachment 1122178
Good looking rig. That’s the slickest looking snorkel I’ve seen on an FJ. Can you tell me more about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes they do need to be relocated... I did a full write-up in my 80W thread = 80W Lensun Flexible Solar Panel mounted to hood (post #24 addresses the squirters)
OK, thanks, I'll have a look. I'm interested in a higher capacity panel, but I'm pretty happy so far with the performance of my setup. Will have to evaluate if changing the squirters is worth the extra capacity.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts