Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been digging for days on the forum for a 12v power source wire other than the common "add-a-circuit" option on the cabin fuse panel to connect an OEM Aux Light Switch "Pin3 - Green Wire".

Has anyone connected "tap" this switch directly to a 12v wire and if so wich wire (color)?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
All,

I also need help with this. I just wired in one set of PIAA 520XTs for driving (the FJ Cruiser specific kit), and one set of PIAA 540 ion crystal for fog. Instead of the PIAA switches, I am using the carling lighted rockers from OTRATTW and OTRATTW. I have a 2009 FJ if this makes a difference.

The PIAA instructions for the FJ specific 520 kit directs you to tap the red/orange wire at the drivers side headlight for the switched circuit used to energize the solenoid. When I tapped this wire, the 520s would only come on with the lows. After re-reading the instructions, it was apparent that PIAA is selling this as a fog light kit for the FJ, with aiming instructions to match the fog application. My intent was to use them as driving lights.

So long story short, my fog light switch for the 540s is currently tapped to the red/yellow wire at the driver side headlight, and my driving light switch for the 520s is now tapped to the red/blue wire at the driver side headlight. Everything works fine when the headlights are on.

The problem arises with the daytime running lights. My fogs are on all the time unless I manually switch them off. The driving lights work fine, the DRLs do not trigger them. From reading numerous posts on the topic, I was of the understanding that the DRLs only shared the same circuit with the high beams. On my installation, when the DRLs are on they also cause the indicator lights on both the driving and fog switchs to light up, indicating that the DRLs affects BOTH high and low beam wiring at the headlight. I can only assume the 520 relay ignores this low current from the DRL, while the 540 relay is sensitive enough that it triggers to the DRL current.

So - what do I do?

I can order another 520 relay from PIAA and use it for my fogs since it seems to have an extra resistor or something inside its huge housing which makes it immune to triggering from the DRL current,

or preferably,

can anyone direct me to alternate tap locations for the fog lights so they will only function with low beams and not DRLs?

Much thanks in advance, I hate electrical stuff, so any help is appreciated. It is possible I am confusing voltage and current in my description, so please cut me some slack if my terminology is wrong.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
All,

I also need help with this. I just wired in one set of PIAA 520XTs for driving (the FJ Cruiser specific kit), and one set of PIAA 540 ion crystal for fog. Instead of the PIAA switches, I am using the carling lighted rockers from OTRATTW and OTRATTW. I have a 2009 FJ if this makes a difference.

The PIAA instructions for the FJ specific 520 kit directs you to tap the red/orange wire at the drivers side headlight for the switched circuit used to energize the solenoid. When I tapped this wire, the 520s would only come on with the lows. After re-reading the instructions, it was apparent that PIAA is selling this as a fog light kit for the FJ, with aiming instructions to match the fog application. My intent was to use them as driving lights.

So long story short, my fog light switch for the 540s is currently tapped to the red/yellow wire at the driver side headlight, and my driving light switch for the 520s is now tapped to the red/blue wire at the driver side headlight. Everything works fine when the headlights are on.

The problem arises with the daytime running lights. My fogs are on all the time unless I manually switch them off. The driving lights work fine, the DRLs do not trigger them. From reading numerous posts on the topic, I was of the understanding that the DRLs only shared the same circuit with the high beams. On my installation, when the DRLs are on they also cause the indicator lights on both the driving and fog switchs to light up, indicating that the DRLs affects BOTH high and low beam wiring at the headlight. I can only assume the 520 relay ignores this low current from the DRL, while the 540 relay is sensitive enough that it triggers to the DRL current.

So - what do I do?

I can order another 520 relay from PIAA and use it for my fogs since it seems to have an extra resistor or something inside its huge housing which makes it immune to triggering from the DRL current,

or preferably,

can anyone direct me to alternate tap locations for the fog lights so they will only function with low beams and not DRLs?

Much thanks in advance, I hate electrical stuff, so any help is appreciated. It is possible I am confusing voltage and current in my description, so please cut me some slack if my terminology is wrong.

Shawn
Well explained and researched, maybe thinking a bit too deep.

Just use an add-a-circuit mini, get 2 10 amps fuses. Power your relays from the parking lights. When you turn your parking light or driving lights on, your relays will be powered.

This information has been moved (Click Link) due to the closing of contributing Member’s threads.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Ruebarb,

you are probably right, I think I might end up tapping the parking lights for the fogs (as you suggest) but leaving the driving lights tapped to the high beams, as they seem to tolerate the whole DRL thing.

I have no problem keeping the switches straight, but I am trying to keep things "automatic" for my wife, who sometimes drives my FJ. The last thing I need is some idiot suffering from road rage giving her a hard time because she didn't get the driving lights turned off.

I should have credited you in my first post, as your backup light guide was an immense help when I did mine, so thank you for that! Obviously it worked, since I had no questions regarding that install. I also really like these carling switches, which I also learned about from your posts, to include installation in the silver plastic to the left of the steering wheel.

Thanks
Shawn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts