Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently we have the OEM 16's w/ BFG's which we decided to keep on for dailey driving in and around town, but for the weekends I would like to have a set of 16' black steel wheels with Cooper Discover STT's. Anyone on here with experience with these tires? Would really only want them for off roading, some mudding, winter driving, etc.
Also on the wheels, can I just go to local tire shop and get a set of OEM steelie's, I dont want to have to pay for Toyota OEM steelies (unless I can get them for real cheap)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you go on Ebay they are selling a whole bunch of Toyota OEM steelies for $50 ea.:D

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I know a couple guys who run these tires and are very happy with them. I've ridden on them, but not wheeled them. They are really quiet and smooth rolling on the pavement for such an aggressive tire. If you rotate them every oil change, they will wear very well and last a long time. I was told they don't do well on wet rock, but my buddy wasn't able to air down so that may have been the problem.

MTs are not going to be the best winter tire. A good All Terrain tire will handle much better on the slushy, icy roads. I actually bought a set of these tires to run on my new Poison Spyder Beadlocks, but they are not compatible with the wheel. Had to go with mickey thompson MTZs instead. Anyhow, they should be a good tire for your intended purpose. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran the Cooper's for a short while on a 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge diesel while I was stationed in North Dakota. They were awful on snow/ice. Zilch for traction. Switched to Maxxis Buckshot's and had a set of BFG A/T's for long road trips. Both were much, much better. I was very impressed with the Maxxis' - I've run them on two 3/4 tons and last on my Tacoma with great results. I expect to put some on my FJ shortly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I run these tires and an VERY happy with them. They take whatever I throw at them on the trail, and preform very well on the street. They handle well in rain, and are not to loud on the highway-just a pleasant hum.

I researched tires for a long time before deciding on these, and I think it was a really good choice, especially when you consider the cost.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I run the 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT on my rig. They are great off road, but I take them off in the winter. They are worthless when the road gets icy or slushy. They seem to do fine in the rain though.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You may want to look at the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. I just installed them with my wheels and I'm loving them. I can't speak about how they perform in snow and ice, but I don't plan on running them as a winter tire. I'm keeping my Bridgestone Revo Dueler ATs on the stock alloy rims as my winter/road trip tire. The Dueler is superb in the snow, slush, and rain.... and really quite good on the trail for such a mild tread pattern. They don't look anyway near as good as the MTZs though....

These tires and the STTs are very similar.... cooper owns Mickey Thompson now.... The MTZs look a little more aggressive due to the beefy side lugs IMO. They are both the same as far as road noise. :rocker:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts