Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to see what is out there for 16" steel wheel options. Preferably something in flat black. Bling ain't my thing. I have the factory TT rims with the bfg a/ts and want to keep the tires for now. Who's got some ideas or options for me? I need 5.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Granted, they are 17 inch wheels but the stock steelies are the one for you.

Call all of your local toyota dealerships...sometimes they have stock steelies that were taken off new.

Otherwise, there is someone on ebay that sells them for $55.00 each.

Best looking wheel on the FJ IMO

Doc

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I very much agree about the look of the factory rims. I was trying to avoid buying new tires. I traded my taco with the km 2's and will probably go with them again, but I figured I won't be able to get enough for my current rims and tires to cover the cost of new set.
Love the FJ in red BTW.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen the wheelers before. Definitely a good option. It seems that I can go with tacoma black steel wheels for even less and just make or buy spacers. Taco offset is 4" vs 4.5" on the FJ correct?

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
So then you have the cost of the taco wheels and the spacers. Wheelers are only 78 per wheel? I'm not sure I want to rely on having to use the spacers, but if that fits your criteria, then it works.
I would rather have the Wheelers, with 4.5 backspace and not have the spacers
I run the Method Race Wheels , that seem pretty tough for aluminum, that are 16x8 with a 4.5 backspace
I like the combo I have. I don't need spacers, but run spydertrax, 1.25" to make the stance right, with fender flares. When I wheel, if it's extreme the spacers come off

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wikid, what tires are you running? If you don't mind saying, how much were your rims? I prefer the look of flat black, but it all comes down the all mighty dollar and how far I can stretch it. I agree about the spacers, I'm not a fan either. Just an option at this point

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I'm running the 315/75/16 general grabbers
The wheels are actually a matte black I thought about replacing all of those bolts with a flat black panhead style allen type bolt. It's just another project of course
They were 148 each.
By the way, the wheelers would be stronger than stock wheels, but a bit heavier
thanks
Don

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don, are the grabbers a m/t? The tread is very similar to a bfg right? I will probably call wheelers today and get a quote for a set of 5 delivered. Just need to find a place to mount them etc. Sound like I need to list my oh so special TT wheels. Haha

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
FWIW - 4" backspacing is OK on the FJ. I purchased some 16"x8 steelies from Wheelers Off Road for my previous FJ and specifically ordered them with 4" backspacing. They widen the stance by 1" overall and look really good.

[/IMG]

16" OEM black steelies were only made in '07 - can't find 'em anywhere anymore. I believe "Tacoma snow wheels" are the exact same thing, I bought one for a spare a year or two ago - and it matched exactly.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jerry, that actually looks pretty good! I may have to consider that option. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Don, are the grabbers a m/t? The tread is very similar to a bfg right? I will probably call wheelers today and get a quote for a set of 5 delivered. Just need to find a place to mount them etc. Sound like I need to list my oh so special TT wheels. Haha
I had my eye on Don's tires for a while now. My BFG's are done. The Grabbers are hard to come by. My local Discount Tire spent an hour looking for a set of 5 and kept coming up empty right to the last second. I bought them up and I'm waiting to install new UCA's before I can mount them on my stock tires.
I should probably step up to an 8" rim (instead of the 7.5 stock) but I just dropped $1500 on the tires and $450 on the UCA's, I'm beyond tapped out right now. There was a Discount Tire in Washington that said they could get the 33's in but there would be an additional $20/tire charge to ship them to whomever buys them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the heads up on the grabbers. What is the benefit or logic behind an 8" wide rim vs the factory 7.5"? Is it just me or is the factory size of 16 X 7.5, 6 lug on a 5.5" and 4.5" offset hard to come by? I'm still looking for a cheap steel option, ($50 or less), and nobody has anything. Closest is of course a tacoma or tundra but those seem to be 7" wide only. Am I missing something?

Nick

·
Registered
439 Posts
Can someone elaborate on the offset? I see that you can order something with a 4.5 inch offset, but I thought that is what the spacer is for? If you order something with an offset, does that by default push the wheel further out towards the fender or outside of the vehicles side?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More offset puts the wheel closer to the truck in a sense. The 4" as previously mentioned makes it have a wider stance. The differences are based on what the rim needs to clear, brakes, etc. A spacers is generally used to give clearance or adjust the width of the wheels from one side to another. This is all based on what I have read or seen, so there may be others who can better explain.

Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts