Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After loads of research on this forum I've finally narrowed down my choice of new feet, and learnt heaps along the way. What a fantastic forum this is eh!

Ok here it is - ANY advice is appreciated in advance.
- I'm not US based, so order I make is gonna cost $$ for shipment, so I have to get it right 1st time :bigthumb:
- my driving is road or sand. Thats it, nothing wet like mud/snow. No rocks.
- based on that I want a pretty good sand AT thats still gives good road perf/low noise, and I've got my eye on the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip

- rims, I'm lookin at AR Chamber Teflons.

- the PJ's will be 33x12.5. So here's the question;
I'd prefer to get R16's. For the AR Chambers that means a 16x8 rim. The spec's on the PJ tyre quote a required rim size of 8 1/2-11 inch.
What kind of trouble could I run into if I go 8inch? Its only 1/2inch under spec. Is that significant? Would I run a higher risk of pop outs when I'm aired down? Or is it negligible?

I'd like 16's for a better sand footprint when aired down, and the AR Chamber 16x8's have a 0mm offset, so will give an extra 2mm of inside clearance over the stocks.
If I went 17x9, the offset is 12mm, so I'd lose 22mm of innner clearance from the stocks. This obviously works and some here run the AR 17x9's with no mention of problems.

So what do you guys reckon - could I get away with running this tyre on the 16x8's?? Or do I need to go 17x9?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would go with a 16" rim for more sidewall flex. A 12.50 rim on an 8inch tire is pushing it though. You can find 16x10 rims out there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A 12.50 rim on an 8inch tire is pushing it though
heh heh think what you meant was 12.50 tyre on 8 inch rim!!! Thanks, yeah thats what I was worried about.

what would be the risks?

As an aside, I see FJ Camel is running 315's on 16x8's. Dont think he has any problems?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
305s should be ok on 8 inch rims. Gives it a nice fat look. Many members are running that size without issues. I have 305X70x16 MT/R right now. Going bigger and you would want a wider rim. Have you thought about dedicated sand tires? Those PJ look kind of aggressive for sand. I was thinking of Nitto Dune Grapplers or the Terra Grapplers (AT). BFG ATs are popular as well. Definitely go with 16s.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
heh heh think what you meant was 12.50 tyre on 8 inch rim!!! Thanks, yeah thats what I was worried about.

what would be the risks?

As an aside, I see FJ Camel is running 315's on 16x8's. Dont think he has any problems?
Correct, i need some sleep :lol:

I would just check around for that rim you want in a 16x10. The rim size i got were not listed on any website. But my local shop got them in a unique size that worked out better.

I agree with FJammin that those do look rather aggressive for a sand tire. Those look like a cross of all terrian and mud terrain. I have no experience with them though. I just know that my BFG at's are awesome in the sand and my LTB's are not so awesome since they want to dig so much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for that. Was kinda hoping I would get an answer like that, because as you both say, the 16's would be better.

re the Parnelli Jones, you're right, they do look pretty aggressive for sand, but according to this review, they get 5 stars for sand/4 for road. There is a poster on here, forgotten who, but he swears by em.

Looked initially at the Dune Grapplers, along with Interco trXus STS, but decided to run with the PJ's (so far!!)
re the BFG's, pretty good allrounders, but from my observations only, they seem a bit soft in the sidewall and tend to pop out easily?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with FJammin that those do look rather aggressive for a sand tire. Those look like a cross of all terrian and mud terrain. I have no experience with them though. I just know that my BFG at's are awesome in the sand
Food for thought. cheers :cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Looked initially at the Dune Grapplers, along with Interco trXus STS, but decided to run with the PJ's (so far!!)
re the BFG's, pretty good allrounders, but from my observations only, they seem a bit soft in the sidewall and tend to pop out easily?
I run mine at 20psi and have not come close to loosing a bead.
The sidewalls are stiffer than stock, they have the "tri-wall" or something, i think it just means 3 ply side walls.
Now, i don't use them very much as i have a set of dedicated trail tires. 34x10.50r16 Super Swamper LTB's. These have to be run very low to flex. I run them at 15psi. There are a few of us that run these tires here. The terrain here is mud, ruts, some more mud, 1 hill, followed by some mud. So a very aggressive mud terrain is pretty much required for the trails.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the desert, I run the low side of 15psi in my stock Dunflops, other guys with "fancy dan" tyres here go alot lower. Maybe thats why I've seen a few pop outs with the BFG's?? But no doubt, they are a damn fine tyre. However, there really is no substitute for footprint in soft sand.

The review I posted on the Parnelli Jones mentioned going down to single digit psi's!! Think I'd have to look at some Staun beadlocks or something if I was doin that, esp on the front!

I would just check around for that rim you want in a 16x10. The rim size i got were not listed on any website
I'd like to stick with 16x8 or 17x9 options if I can, mainly cause I like em! And others here have used them and I know they'll work. Like I said, gotta get it right 1st time when it comes to international shipping.

Thanks for your time guys :bigthumb:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would go with a 16" rim for more sidewall flex. A 12.50 rim on an 8inch tire is pushing it though. You can find 16x10 rims out there.
I agree. Go with the 16" for more sidewall flex. Just be sure the wheels will fit because most 16" wheels don't. I ran 12.5" wide tires on an 8 inch wide wheel before and never had any problems. There are some people that are running 12.5's on the 7.5" wide stock rims (that's really pushing it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts