Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped by Discount Tire (America's Tire Co) to see about ordering some Nitto Terra Grappler (285/70/17). While I was there I asked about some Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels and if they would fit with the Nitto's I selected. The guy looked it up on the computer and said everything looked good and it shouldn't be a problem with the fit.

I have a 2011 4x4 with King suspension.

I was just going to get the tires and run on the steelies. But man, those sidebiters look nice.

Sidebiter size is 17x9.
Nitto Terra Grappler size range is: 7.5 - (8.5) - 9.5

So my questions are these:
  • Does anyone foresee any problems running this size of wheel and tire (or using this wheel)?
  • Any problems airing down?
  • And if I did get wheels and tires... would it be better to go a smaller size wheel?

From what I've researched, the combo seems to work... may or may not need a body mount chop.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 285/70-17 mount on 9.0" wide rim is ok. As Nitto suggest to use 8.5" to keep it at its neutral width. Well, if on the dirt, you probably wouldn't notice much in terms in performance, but when on the street.. in the racing tire world, it's called +1, which mean the rim width is 1 step wider than neutral rim width ratio. This ratio changes the car's handling behavior like over-steer / understeer.. with this 285/70 to 9.0" wide rim ratio would consider as +1.. but while on dirt... probably won't notice a bit.. if air down.. well, less side wall on wider rim.. foot print won't be at wide as if you run on 8.5" wide rim. Just trying to help :) Those rims look pretty nice! :) :cheers:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 285/70-17 mount on 9.0" wide rim is ok. As Nitto suggest to use 8.5" to keep it at its neutral width. Well, if on the dirt, you probably wouldn't notice much in terms in performance, but when on the street.. in the racing tire world, it's called +1, which mean the rim width is 1 step wider than neutral rim width ratio. This ratio changes the car's handling behavior like over-steer / understeer.. with this 285/70 to 9.0" wide rim ratio would consider as +1.. but while on dirt... probably won't notice a bit.. if air down.. well, less side wall on wider rim.. foot print won't be at wide as if you run on 8.5" wide rim. Just trying to help :) Those rims look pretty nice! :) :cheers:
So if I stick to the stock 7.5" steelies, the minimum for the Nitto Terra Grapplers, I can get more foot print when aired down... but cornering on the road will will cause the tire to distort more.

best case senario, find a 17x8.5 rim with these tires.

17x9... less foot print when airing down... handling on the road: not sure how that will work out

17x7.5: better or worse than using an 17x9?

I went searching more and read Wheel dimensions & matching wheels and tyres

And while I understand a bit more, I am no closer to figuring out what will work better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Whatever you do are you able to send us a picture once you have them on? I love those wheels and would be keen to see what they look like on your FJ. Love those wheels!

·
Registered
160 Posts
FWIW, I am running 17x9 Sidebiters with 285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/Ts. The ride is awesome, except for an annoying vibration at times between 55-65 mph. I am thinking of trying hubcentric rings, as the FJ's hub is 106mm and the Sidebiter's center bore is 110mm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So if I stick to the stock 7.5" steelies, the minimum for the Nitto Terra Grapplers, I can get more foot print when aired down... but cornering on the road will will cause the tire to distort more.

best case senario, find a 17x8.5 rim with these tires.

17x9... less foot print when airing down... handling on the road: not sure how that will work out

17x7.5: better or worse than using an 17x9?

I went searching more and read Wheel dimensions & matching wheels and tyres

And while I understand a bit more, I am no closer to figuring out what will work better.
17 X 7.5 is a bit narrow IMO.. the tire will have that balloon look. It just that you can air down to lower PSI without scuffing the rim edge on narrower rim.. footprint wise, won't have too much difference.. afterall a 285 still a 285.. just with narrower rim when air down you can ride the shoulder/sidewall a tad bit more compare to 9" wide rim. Just make sure to have it realign after you have them installed. If the rim is good quality, shouldn't have to use hub ring, as the conical seat on the lug holes should center it quite well.. unless you have bent wheel studs. :)

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the wheels and tires, also the tundra handles and TT mirrors (just happened to install those today).

There was a rub right after install, when turning. After leveling out the front suspension to match the rear height, I got an alignment done. I asked that they add as much positive caster as they could while still keeping it within Toyota's specs. It doesn't rub when turning now, but it will rub if flexing while turning, but a body mount chop should alleviate that problem.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great! Sounds like yours rub in the same situations that mine do.

Any balancing issues/vibration issues?

I don't notice anything. When I had the alignment done the guy drove it around the block and he said he felt a slight vibration at 40 mph (i think that was the speed he said) but it went away once the tires warmed up. He said maybe it was the way the shop did the balancing, and to have it speed balanced (i think it thats what he said).

As for me, I haven't noticed anything. When I go back to get the tires rotated I'll ask them to check it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks good! I also posted a reply on your thread in Socalfjcruiserforums :bigthumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got my sidebiters mounted up last week, great looking wheels, pictures do not do them justice. I do urge all of you to look them over before mounting. Of the 8 I received from 2 different vendors, 4 where scratched/dinged up pretty badly. Their packaging is minimal and combined with the FedEx globetrotters, I was forced to accept some flaws.

Great wheels, but a body chop was a must for me, pretty substantial rubbing with my 285 duratracs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts