Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son has decided to sell his 89 4Runner. He's in Army AIT school and will probably be assigned to the 501st Airborne in Alaska afterwards. Given gasoline prices, his chance of being shipped overseas, etc., he figures he can do w/o a vehicle for a couple of years. The truck is a 4 cyl. (22RE) and has a new Marlin Crawler 5 speed transmission and clutch. It runs very well and the body is in very good condition given the age. The interior is so-so. Mechanically, it is very sound. It would make a great platform for a serious off road project. Asking price is 3000. I'll post some pics when I find them. I've added some pics.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it fuel injected (22RE) w/ AC? Man, too bad he wasn't selling this thing a year or so back.....I had cash in hand for one but couldn't find a 4 cylinder with EFI.

Sean
Yes, and yes, although the AC needs charging.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still available. I added pics.

My son has decided to sell his 89 4Runner. He's in Army AIT school and will probably be assigned to the 501st Airborne in Alaska afterwards. Given gasoline prices, his chance of being shipped overseas, etc., he figures he can do w/o a vehicle for a couple of years. The truck is a 4 cyl. (22RE) and has a new Marlin Crawler 5 speed transmission and clutch. It runs very well and the body is in very good condition given the age. The interior is so-so. Mechanically, it is very sound. It would make a great platform for a serious off road project. Asking price is 3000. I'll post some pics when I find them. I've added some pics.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Crap. Why do you have to be all the way across the country? My son is looking for something EXACTLY like this with 4WD. He's going to Lake Tahoe for a year and needs just this type of vehicle for the snow.

Great deal for someone that is a lot closer. Shipping would kill the deal for me.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an aside, my son graduated basic/AIT a week ago Friday, at Ft. Benning. He made Soldier of the Cycle and got promoted also. He starts Airborne school tommorrow. Needless to say, I'm very proud.

The Bayonet: Graduations

Also, my youngest reports to Paris Island on the 18th of this month for his basic training.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I had the same motor(22RE) in my '90 4x4 pickup although mine was an auto.... When I sold it in 1998 I had 435,000km (261,000mi) and that thing was bullet proof ....Awesome motor...Like everyone else I wish I still had that truck...

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
wesayso said:
Nice 1st Gen, I would be all over this if i didnt already have one!

Have you tried listing it on any of the toyota boards that are more geared towards the older rigs? Marlincrawler, Yotatech, pirate4x4, IH8MUD, and TTORA come immediately to mind, though i am sure there are many more that could help you spread the word.

Alternately, have you/he looked into stoarge? 1st generation 4runners in decent shape are getting harder and harder to find, i would hate to see him regret getting rid of it later on down the road.

wesayso said:
Also, my youngest reports to Paris Island on the 18th of this month for his basic training.
Semper Fi Devil Dog! Tell him to hang in there; i've got six years in myself and my only regret is not enlisting sooner.

NBFJCruz said:
I had the same motor(22RE) in my '90 4x4 pickup although mine was an auto.... When I sold it in 1998 I had 435,000km (261,000mi) and that thing was bullet proof ....Awesome motor...Like everyone else I wish I still had that truck...
Mine 4runner is an '88 with the V6 (still kicking myself for not waiting to find a 22re); had a '94 Toy Pickup before that. The 4runner has 300,5XX on it and still going strong. I have promised myself that i'll get an FJC as soon as i cannot fix the 4runner anymore, so i might end up with an FJ by the time they are eligible for historical vehicle plates! :rofl:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Crap. Why do you have to be all the way across the country? My son is looking for something EXACTLY like this with 4WD. He's going to Lake Tahoe for a year and needs just this type of vehicle for the snow.

Great deal for someone that is a lot closer. Shipping would kill the deal for me.
Dave,

For the cost of gas and a one-way plane ticket Keith will drive this across the country for you. Let me know. :)

It's a sweet truck. I was looking at getting either this or an FJ when I left the TT. I opted for the FJ only because I love the FJ.

M

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Dave,

For the cost of gas and a one-way plane ticket Keith will drive this across the country for you. Let me know. :)

It's a sweet truck. I was looking at getting either this or an FJ when I left the TT. I opted for the FJ only because I love the FJ.

M
NOW you tell me! I got my son a GMC 4X4 pickup truck 3 weeks ago. Man, why do I always miss the good ones like this one!!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
NOW you tell me! I got my son a GMC 4X4 pickup truck 3 weeks ago. Man, why do I always miss the good ones like this one!!
Aww, too bad! It's a very sweet truck, isn't it? :D Me thinks it might be time for a road trip.

With all the people I know, I could probably have a place to stay all across the country!
Hello? Anyone? :worried: Maybe not.

M

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Aww, too bad! It's a very sweet truck, isn't it? :D Me thinks it might be time for a road trip.

With all the people I know, I could probably have a place to stay all across the country!
Hello? Anyone? :worried: Maybe not.

M
Mo, just let Matt drive it out to Grand Junction. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Nice truck. I will be out of the wheeling world for about a year before i can get something like this. If i was able i would jump on it as my next rig will be for banging off obsticals and such. By the way, Congrats on youre son and his achievments. BOO YA!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts