Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an FJ last week (6MT 4x4 with the convenience package, Pirelli tires and BBS rims, and a hitch). It's Voodoo Blue.

After owning a REAL land cruiser, I had said I'd never own an FJ Cruiser.

Anyway, here's my impression:

Engine: the Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter is strong. It pulls hard in every gear, has no problems accelerating, builds revs easily, and has been proven in the 4Runner for a few years.

Transmission: the 6MT is clunky as hell when cold. 1 and R are distinguishable by variable rubberiness that increases when going into reverse, which is also accompanied by a convenient beep that is often drowned out by the fasten seatbelt beep (it sounds the same). First gear is really torquey, perhaps too torquey since the truck can be launched from 2nd in almost all conditions. The clutch is a numb affair that engages somewhere halfway in its travel--strangely no hill holder clutch is available. 6th gear will keep you cruising steadily at 80. Dropping down into 4th on the highway will let you blast by any geriatric dawdlers.

Brakes: excellent. Will throw you through the windshield. 4 wheel discs are awesome, if not prone to huge dust buildup.

NVH: there are rattles, buzzes, and creaks--standard Toyota crap. I had a 4Runner with a buzzy dash before this, this time there's some buzz coming from the passenger door.

Instruments: black on white, recessed in some dark hole. Hard to see and miles are in increments of 20, not 10. Nicely illumunated white at night, but then the Tacoma parts bin stereo and HVAC lights are orange. iPod input is cool and useful. Base stereo pumps better than any premium Toyota unit I've had. Of note, thereis a voltsmeter, but NO oil pressure or transmisson temperature gauge. There is ONE cigarette lighter outlet in the front.

ONE.

One ****ing adapter!:mad:

Ergo: driver's seat is very adjustable, but too low off of the ground, meaning tall people will sit FAR back. The waistline is high, so you sit in this car and I can't reach the windshield, hell I can barely reach the sunvisors--which do pivot, but the gunturret windows really limit their side efficacy. Front headrests jut forward for some random reason. There is surprising room in the back, better than a pickup, but the seats are a ***** to fold flat because the rear headrests get in the way.

Steering/Handling: the steering wheel is poorly assisted at low speed, which I know is an off-road boon, but all this does is feel vague and heavy. Tires deep in the fender wells and the seating position also means I can't stick my head out the window to see. Handling is like a lighter 4Runner on dramamine.

Off road: I took it on several logging roads. The truck does well, but unless you lock the center diff, you'll go sideways on slightly loose gravel. Low range is like a goat and the rear diff locker is suggested for 'emergency' uses only, but adds great stability to crawl over mud and dirt. There is incredible stability over bumps, but the crappy visibility can be a pain off road.

Visibility: see off road, but it's bad. If you can't see it in the two big front windows and the side view mirrors, odds are you're going to swat it. Some dumbass decided to put the long axis of the mirrors vertically not horizontally. Backing up requires more reliance on mirrors than looking back. The Parking sonar is schizo or ignorant at best. It also freaks out when using a bike rack and doesn't see things like curbs. Leave it off.

Economy: 17-18 city and highway combined on regular.

Durability: ? I wasn't able to break it, but I foresee the black plastic everywhere will fade and possibly crack. What the hell is wrong with chrome?

Other stuff: the white roof is great for keeping the interior cool. The black interior color is both stain resistant by default of color choice and depressing. Black plastic floors are impossible to stain and wash easily--strangely there are no drain plugs. No need for floor mats. Seabelt warning beeper is IRRITATING to the point of homicide when maneuvering to park or backing up a trailer. The marker lights on the mirrors are useless and I wonder who came up with them. The ambulance style door is infnitely more useless than a liftgate and I have to wonder why Toyota would not install a sliding rear window. Also, the spare tire takes up a LOT of space in the backlight...

Overall: great off road car. Okay onroad car. Too much appearance over common sense compromises. Fun as hell, but this is not your classic land cruiser--which is a good and a bad thing.

Would I buy one again?

Maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Good little review!

Only thing I question is the parking sonar thing. I use mine all the time and couldn't drive this truck in the city without it...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caliFJ said:
now that folks is an unbiased account of the fjc. well done.
I'm a cruiser head.

My first one was an 83 60 series (see SN).

Thankfully this new FJ isn't a heavy sluggish monstrosity as that thing.

Do I miss the 60? Sort of.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bostonian1976 said:
Good little review!

Only thing I question is the parking sonar thing. I use mine all the time and couldn't drive this truck in the city without it...
I have issues with it to the point that I'm not sure what it can and cannot see.

It'll beep pretty irately when I'm about to put the hitch through the garage door, but at least once or twice it didn't notice things obliquely in the reverse path (like a trash can) that I could see in the mirrors and would tag. It also can't see things close to the ground--I wouldn't try to damage a low slung car to check, but I think that its two sensors are somewhat of a compromise.

Or maybe I need to trust in it more?:p

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
I have issues with it to the point that I'm not sure what it can and cannot see.

It'll beep pretty irately when I'm about to put the hitch through the garage door, but at least once or twice it didn't notice things obliquely in the reverse path (like a trash can) that I could see in the mirrors and would tag. It also can't see things close to the ground--I wouldn't try to damage a low slung car to check, but I think that its two sensors are somewhat of a compromise.

Or maybe I need to trust in it more?:p
weird. were you close enough to the trash can? Mine is VERY reliable in terms of what is behind you, regardless of shape or size....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bostonian1976 said:
weird. were you close enough to the trash can? Mine is VERY reliable in terms of what is behind you, regardless of shape or size....
This was off to the passenger side, not behind, but more on the SIDE of the vehicle.

I'd have tagged it with those weird silver things jutting out of the back bumper, though.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
This was off to the passenger side, not behind, but more on the SIDE of the vehicle.

I'd have tagged it with those weird silver things jutting out of the back bumper, though.
interesting. Mine tells me of anything that could be in my path....even parking meters when I'm backing into a spot and they are JUST off to the side.....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bostonian1976 said:
interesting. Mine tells me of anything that could be in my path....even parking meters when I'm backing into a spot and they are JUST off to the side.....
Okay...

Attempts to recreate this in my driveway (for the hell of it) have resulted in the parking sensor noticing the trash can this time.

Hmm.

I may not have engaged it properly the first time cuz it works now.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4k in an FJ.

Drove back to Alabama, now have 4k mi.

More impressions.

The truck is a beast on the highway, set it in cruise, jam it in sixth, and watch the scenery blur by at 85. It holds very well at this speed and still can manage 16-17mpg.

Off road it's essentially unstoppable, I've take in it on trails around Ashevile, NC and on logging roads. Without the center diff locked, it gets squirrely on loose gravel. Pirelli Scorpions are great on mud and sand. ATRAC is unintrusive and awesome for holding on to slippery hills and creeping through mud holes.

The 6MT is a dog, shifting from 2 to 3 with a cold tranny I still miss gears--as if the syncromesh doesn't want me to go to third, regardless of engine speed. I've stalled it several times at a red light because the clutch isn't sure if it's engaging at 1/2 or 1/4 travel. Regardless, with a hot transmission the truck is fast as hell, if not clunky in shifts.

Interior noise is abysmal. The roof sounds like its being pelted with hail during a rainstorm, in fact I rolled down a window to see if that was actually RAIN falling on me and not chunks of ice. The rear exhaust buzzes and hums inside, becoming VERY irritating on long trips. The seats are unsupportive and I'm having back pain from 800 mile runs.

It's a fun truck, a capable off roader, but with comfort and noise issues.

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
Coming out of an '05 Jeep Rubicon (lifted on 33's) Also own a Lexus LX470 and used to own a 40th anniversary LandCruiser.
I'm ecstatic over what the FJ offers.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RubiconSS said:
Coming out of an '05 Jeep Rubicon (lifted on 33's) Also own a Lexus LX470 and used to own a 40th anniversary LandCruiser.
I'm ecstatic over what the FJ offers.
The Heep can be very irritating and crude on road.

But it excels off road.

The FJC is the best compromise you can still use as a daily driver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Generally, a locked diff will increase your likelihood of sliding sideways on loose gravel. At least my experience. Besides, sliding sideways in loose gravel isn't always a bad thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts