Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
been doing research on my 1st upgrade to my stock 2007 4WD 6 speed MT, 17" Alloy Wheels with Mastercraft HSX Tour tires (265/70R/17 that I drove 150 miles to my lease on interstate and state roads. Then 10 miles on logging roads to reach my hunting lease. the logging roads went from gravel to, dry red clay then to wet clay with some spots up to 6 inches of water. once I got to gravel road I dropped the tire pressure down to 25 psi and went to H(L). it worked but the tires did clog up and in some spots with the standing water and red clay - I did the slide..

So I want to get AT tires for my next trip up. In doing research I narrowed it down to the General Grabber AT2 as my first choice and then the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 as 2nd choice both in the SL load range. I will use my FJ some in the city but not every day. Looked at BFG and Firestone but their websites came up with "none for FJ in your config'.

Both tires have good reviews and I understand that they are not pure M/T tire but that would be a long drive on M/T on pavement where I would want a good tire to handle those conditions.

I did see that there is a Grabber At3 out but not in the US market yet. It is supposed to have better mud traction.

Just looking to verify that I am on the right track.... trying to do on a budget so I can then either do bumper/winch or sliders.

thanks
Frank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Frank,

I have the Yokohama Geolander AT/S, which I believe are fairly similar to the Yoko's you are talking about. I find them to be excellent. They drive well on the highways, quiet and predictable and have loads of grip. I live in Dubai and drive them in the desert sand dunes a lot where again, they are great. I have also taken them on a trip through the mountains in Oman, where the trails were covered in shale that was a sharp as broken glass. Again, no problems. I think the Yoko's would be a choice you are happy with. Can't comment on the other ones, as I don't know. As an aside, I did have BFG KO's on, and despite a lot of positive comments, I found them crap at all the things I just specified. Loud not the road and no grip. No good in the desert and on an almost identical trip in Oman, I came back with huge chunks sliced out of the tread. I swapped my tires at 200km. (If anyone wants a near new set of BFG's, they are going cheap!). Hope this helps. Al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,521 Posts
Greetings:
been doing research on my 1st upgrade to my stock 2007 4WD 6 speed MT, 17" Alloy Wheels with Mastercraft HSX Tour tires (265/70R/17 that I drove 150 miles to my lease on interstate and state roads. Then 10 miles on logging roads to reach my hunting lease. the logging roads went from gravel to, dry red clay then to wet clay with some spots up to 6 inches of water. once I got to gravel road I dropped the tire pressure down to 25 psi and went to H(L). it worked but the tires did clog up and in some spots with the standing water and red clay - I did the slide..

So I want to get AT tires for my next trip up. In doing research I narrowed it down to the General Grabber AT2 as my first choice and then the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 as 2nd choice both in the SL load range. I will use my FJ some in the city but not every day. Looked at BFG and Firestone but their websites came up with "none for FJ in your config'.

Both tires have good reviews and I understand that they are not pure M/T tire but that would be a long drive on M/T on pavement where I would want a good tire to handle those conditions.

I did see that there is a Grabber At3 out but not in the US market yet. It is supposed to have better mud traction.

Just looking to verify that I am on the right track.... trying to do on a budget so I can then either do bumper/winch or sliders.

thanks
Frank
Here is a link to the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 I did a while back posted on this site. They have been excellent tires for the last couple of years.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/discount-tire/553178-fearless-yokohama-geolandar-t-go15.html

I not have the Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T tires on my FJ. They are also a very good riding tire but not as smooth and quiet as the A/T G015 althou for an M/T tire they ride smooth and are relatively quiet.

BTW I have the LT version of both tires. I drive in the rocky deserts of AZ.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 P265/70R-17

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 LT265/70R-17

New Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 LT 285/70R-17 on my FJ.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the Geolander AT GO15s on my FJ. I have the P tires. I have about 8K on them in total and love them for daily driving. Quiet for an AT tire. I chose them after having to return a set of Nokians

I just returned from about a 3500 round trip to Ouray, CO and back. They were fine on the trails although I didn't air down to protect the "tender" sidewalls and I stuck to the easier trails. It was dry so I can't speak to their mud ability.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I had Mastercraft MXT's before I bought my current setup. I know a lot of guys want all terrains for comfort, longevity and noise level. The MXT's were a great tire. They had a smooth ride with just a little more hum than the bfg at's I used to have 'not bad at all'. I bought them used from a friend. I'm not sure how many miles he put on them but I put over 20k mi on them. I wanted new wheels and sold the used MXT's on cheap Ultra wheels for $1150. Still in great condition. My FJ is my daily driver and I commute around 65-70 mi to work on I70. I would recommend them to you and they look so much better than any at. I had 285's witch would probably be a tad bit louder than 265's even due to extra width.

@frankinnola Can't go wrong with these... set of four 10 ply E rated= $774.99 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-LT265-70R17-Mastercraft-Courser-MXT-Mud-Terrain-10-Ply-E-Load-Tires-265701-/382193831598?fits=Section+Width:265|Aspect+Ratio:70|Rim+Diameter:17&epid=605925574&hash=item58fc870eae:g:wq4AAOSwnH1WZbNF&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys, from looking at post from Discount Tires and others , I think that I need the E range for where I am going in the woods. I got some quotes from local shop that I have been a reg customer for years and they wanted 1500-1800 for five tires....going to look at the online quotes.Frank

I

·
Vendor
2,521 Posts
In my post above the link to the LT 265/70R-17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 cost $189.77 each. Shipping is Free.

Keep in mind we will also be having a Labor Day sale starting next week.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, will look out for sales.

cliffy, thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid pure MT since I have the 350 round trip on interstate and state rounds.

I will see what the labor day sales yield.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discount Tire Direct is the place to buy tires. I bought mine off of their ebay page and got a killer deal on the Cooper Discoverer AT3's in load range C earlier this year. When you get them, just take them along with your invoice to any discount tire and they will mount them as if you bought them right at the store (they charge more for mounting if you buy elsewhere). Plus you'll get your lifetime rotations and balancing for free. Watch for the Labor Day sale as no one will likely be able to come close in price.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all and to Discount Tire, I used the link on the vendor section for FJ crusier to get credit with my order of 5 A/T G015 tires. getting them shipped to local installer.

one upgrade done! now to decide on winch options....

frank

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Frank,

I have the Yokohama Geolander AT/S, which I believe are fairly similar to the Yoko's you are talking about. I find them to be excellent. They drive well on the highways, quiet and predictable and have loads of grip. I live in Dubai and drive them in the desert sand dunes a lot where again, they are great. I have also taken them on a trip through the mountains in Oman, where the trails were covered in shale that was a sharp as broken glass. Again, no problems. I think the Yoko's would be a choice you are happy with. Can't comment on the other ones, as I don't know. As an aside, I did have BFG KO's on, and despite a lot of positive comments, I found them crap at all the things I just specified. Loud not the road and no grip. No good in the desert and on an almost identical trip in Oman, I came back with huge chunks sliced out of the tread. I swapped my tires at 200km. (If anyone wants a near new set of BFG's, they are going cheap!). Hope this helps. Al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am a great fan of Yokohama Tyres. I'm driving with Geolandar AT/S ( GO15), just came back from a desert trip in the Namib dunes in Namibia. Tyres did extremely good. I still prefer a decent AT tyre, like the Yokohama, for dune driving.MT tyres does not impress me, on sand,at all!

·
Desert Moderator
5,610 Posts
I am a great fan of Yokohama Tyres. I'm driving with Geolandar AT/S ( GO15), just came back from a desert trip in the Namib dunes in Namibia. Tyres did extremely good. I still prefer a decent AT tyre, like the Yokohama, for dune driving.MT tyres does not impress me, on sand,at all!
I'm on Cooper AT3s but amen on MTs being crap on sand.
Sipes grip the sand pretty well on an AT and a softer sidewall allows the tire bulge and effectively spread lengthways giving much better grip. MTs are much too stiff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just an update on the Yokohama Geolandar LT A/T G015 tire upgrade. the tires did real well on the 150 mile highway trip, handled well at 65MPH and then stop and go traffic in Baton Rouge at the I-10/I12 merge. Next am went out to the lease and the no problems on the gravel road, logging road or the clay. Did not take out on the road with the 1 foot ruts, waiting on the sliders for that. I only used HL when I got into the dirt road.

here are some shots taken when I stopped as I went along.

main road in.

one of two soup pits that I had to get through. no tire spin and it took it in 1st gear and tried to drive on spots where others may not have gone.

road to the lease,

shot of the tires once i got to the stand. not packed with mud like the street tires.

waiting on the sliders and then to order a hitch basket for next upgrades. thanks for the help and the nice folks at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yokohama Geolandar has been my standard tires on all SUVs I have owned past and present and IMHO the best balanced tires with value for money. Recently I have put Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on my FJ and am quite happy with them as well.

·
Desert Moderator
5,610 Posts
There are two tires that are recommended here in the desert:
- Yoko Geolandar
- Cooper AT/3

I've only heard good things on both (I have the AT/3s on my FJ)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts