Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My two cents is to go ahead and get 285s right away even if you may rub a bit. I upgraded my stock tires with duratracs within a month of buying mine brand new, and while I love the tires I really wish I would have gotten the bigger size. Since I have half my tread left I'm having a hard time justifying buying new ones at this time though and just keep kicking myself for not doing it right the first time around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My two cents is to go ahead and get 285s right away even if you may rub a bit. I upgraded my stock tires with duratracs within a month of buying mine brand new, and while I love the tires I really wish I would have gotten the bigger size. Since I have half my tread left I'm having a hard time justifying buying new ones at this time though and just keep kicking myself for not doing it right the first time around.
I am about to do my 1st upgrade as well, (wheels & tires) and I have the 17" FN FX pro wheels. There are some great threads here about what tires/wheels will fit, but I am curious: 275/70/17 seems to be good on stock. But if I am installing 5100s on 3rd notch to level, will that give me room for 285/70/17s? I have seen some say yes, even on stock suspension, but wondering what 5100s will do, if anything to prevent rubs. I am not an expert, but it seems like just lifting the car up an 1" or so on front end (no spacer) won't reduce the potential to rub the body mount or mud flap, but I could be wrong...

·
Desert Moderator
5,662 Posts
I am about to do my 1st upgrade as well, (wheels & tires) and I have the 17" FN FX pro wheels. There are some great threads here about what tires/wheels will fit, but I am curious: 275/70/17 seems to be good on stock. But if I am installing 5100s on 3rd notch to level, will that give me room for 285/70/17s? I have seen some say yes, even on stock suspension, but wondering what 5100s will do, if anything to prevent rubs. I am not an expert, but it seems like just lifting the car up an 1" or so on front end (no spacer) won't reduce the potential to rub the body mount or mud flap, but I could be wrong...
I'm on 285/70R17 with a maybe 2" lift and no BMC. No rub unless I'm really smashing it into the whoops...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yokohama Geolandar has been my standard tires on all SUVs I have owned past and present and IMHO the best balanced tires with value for money. Recently I have put Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on my FJ and am quite happy with them as well.
Back to Yokohama, this time Geolandar GO15 and I will never ever leave Yokohama again.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
About to pull the trigger on 4 new Yokohama Geolander AT/S - stock size - 265/70r 17

I don't have a lift or BMC.

I am living in Dubai and go dune bashing and some Wadi driving when the temps get lower but mostly road use.

Are these a good choice for that and will I experience any rubbing with the stock size?

Cheers

M

·
Registered
129 Posts
About to pull the trigger on 4 new Yokohama Geolander AT/S - stock size - 265/70r 17

I am living in Dubai and go dune bashing and some Wadi driving when the temps get lower but mostly road use.

Are these a good choice for that and will I experience any rubbing with the stock size?

Cheers

M[/QUOTE

You will have no rubbing with stock size; I suggest you go a little bigger and it will look better and you will have no rubbing! Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Cheers

M[/QUOTE

You will have no rubbing with stock size; I suggest you go a little bigger and it will look better and you will have no rubbing! Just my thoughts.

The Geolandar GO15 like their predecessors GO12 are fantastic in sand, Jordan off road club did a test and found the GO12 to be best in sand among other tracks. Even their new Geolandar X-AT are brilliant in sand as is the MT G003 that is a mud tire surprisingly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I may give Geolanders a go I have used Nitto Trail Grapplers and KO2s ,The KO2s are much better on the road that said there stiff and just ok on the street and in snow ,Im looking for better street performance in a non E rated tire I now have dedicated snow wheels and tires GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC so I need something more streetable than KO2s ,It seems there are AT and Highway tires for 265 75 16 I would love a AT tire with the ride and comfort of a highway tire. I have heard good things about Geolanders!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think I may give Geolanders a go I have used Nitto Trail Grapplers and KO2s ,The KO2s are much better on the road that said there stiff and just ok on the street and in snow ,Im looking for better street performance in a non E rated tire I now have dedicated snow wheels and tires GENERAL ALTIMAX ARCTIC so I need something more streetable than KO2s ,It seems there are AT and Highway tires for 265 75 16 I would love a AT tire with the ride and comfort of a highway tire. I have heard good things about Geolanders!
Get the X-AT Yokohama and if you do get the GO15, get the LT version if you plan to do rocks etc just for your peace of mind.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts