Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few members ask about the clearance and my thoughts on the 1up Quick-Rack and the FJ. So here is a quick review.....

1up USA Ultra Rack

Right out of the box you notice the craftsmanship and quality of this rack. All aluminum and stainless steel fasteners.
Next is the weight, This thing only weighs about 25lbs. Love the way it folds up and stores right in the back of the FJ. Your not putting a T2 or Holdup in there.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

One problem with hitch mount racks on the FJ is clearance with the spare. I'm running steelies with stock size F/S Destination ATs but my pedal cleared the stock alloy/tire combo too.

[/url][/IMG]

Access to the rear door is great. The single tray 1up allows the door to fully open when mounted. Larger spares and the double tray 1up you will need to tilt the rack down.

[/url][/IMG]

With the bike mounted and tilted down the access is still good. Enough to get stuff in and out. The door hit's my fork but your bike may allow the door to open wider.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Overall one of the best racks I've ever used. The receiver mount system they use is solid and secure. The rack does not move when tightened.
The best part compared to the other racks is this thing will not rust or have any plastic pieces crack. It does cost more then the others but it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered the same rack, it should arrive tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered the hitch reducer that says it adds 6 inches. Looking at the photographs I am not sure now that I am going to need it.

Phierce, you have confirmed that I made the right decision.

Thanks for the great photos.

·
Registered
229 Posts
very cool rack. my original Sportworks (now Thule T2) is great, but I have to agree about it being heavy.

I've got the 1Up trainer for my road bike and it's a high quality piece as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Thats a good looking rack. Do they make a double? I have a T2 and love it... absolutely no problems whatsoever except for the sun fading the plastic, though it is a bit heavy
They make it so you can add up to three more trays.
My friends swear by the T2.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered the same rack, it should arrive tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered the hitch reducer that says it adds 6 inches. Looking at the photographs I am not sure now that I am going to need it.

Phierce, you have confirmed that I made the right decision.

Thanks for the great photos.
Ya, your not going to need the extension. My DH rig with a 83mm BB still clears the spare.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very cool rack. my original Sportworks (now Thule T2) is great, but I have to agree about it being heavy.

I've got the 1Up trainer for my road bike and it's a high quality piece as well.
I have a Sportworks Insta-Gater for the Tundra. Same ratchet arm as the T2. Works great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
does the 1up have enough clearance to fold up (with 2 or more bike slots) and still clear the spare?
I've got the same question... any updates on this? I currently have a Yakima holdup 2 and if I can find a good rack that will allow the back door to still be useful, I would most likely upgrade. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the same question... any updates on this? I currently have a Yakima holdup 2 and if I can find a good rack that will allow the back door to still be useful, I would most likely upgrade. Thanks!
Does anybody have pictures of this?
Does single tray folded up clear the door?

ZT

·
Registered
63 Posts
No photo but I have the same rack which I purchased as a single and later added on an extra bike (you can buy them individually from 1up). On my application with the stock spare tire and cover, it brushes over the top of the rack when opening. The rear door will open over the rack but there is contact. I generally lower the rack to the access position when opening the rear door because it is very simple to do.

I also routinely lower it down for access with two bikes installed. The rear door will not open all the way but you can open it enough to reach smaller items.

This rack also has a feature that it folds up 90 degrees for storage when bikes aren't on the rack, however this feature is not usable on the FJ due to the spare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts