Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I am gearing up for my audio install, and thinking ahead that I may eventually want to "upgrade", I decided to purchase power wires a little bigger than required. I bought #2 AWG, but my amp has inputs for #4 AWG... I'm not sure how to do this, but am considering just trimming a few of the copper strands so that it will properly fit inside the amp's power terminal... is this a bad idea? I mean, the amp only requires #4 AWG, but I always thought a little bigger was better, so I went with #2. The other thing I was considering was using a distro block, but would like to avoid extra connections. Please help!

The same goes for the ground!
(the gear, if it's needed for answering: Rockford Fosgate #2 AWG power kit and Alpine PDX-5 (1200 W) with amp under the driver's seat).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ask Briman, the power cables I ran we luged down to make the connections from the larger cable. This was installing power equipment for telephone companies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I've overdone my limit with Briman PM's... I get a little carried away with questions while I'm trying to make my install perfect.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Trimming a few strands off will be just fine. You may want to run some heat-shrink over the exposed trimmed ends just to be on the safe side. Another thing you can try is a spade lug made to be crimped onto 2awg wire. This is a cleaner way to do it. You can get the Gold one's to impress your friends. But not needed. This is just 2 ways of many I can think of. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Thanks... I've overdone my limit with Briman PM's... I get a little carried away with questions while I'm trying to make my install perfect.
ahh, dont ever think you cant ask for help. i have no problems helping people. i get on here to do exactly that.

you can buy a reducer to take your 2 gauge down to 4.

hey, want some eye candy?

maybe tomorrow......

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
A distribution block would be the way I would go. It's not going to add more much in terms of wires, there just won't be anything coming out of one of the leads on the block itselt. I've got mine under the center console going each way to both of the amps under the front seats. If you trim down the wire make sure you leave some slack to recut your wire for a distribution block in the future. I'll take some pictures if anybody wants =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts